Richard Kuschel

Default Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

Lord Hasenpfeffer wrote:

Does anybody in this NG have experience with attempting to create
higher-quality MP3s or do they all just rip-and-encode like everyone
else, taking whatever they can get from _unmodified_ WAVs extracted via
DAE?

All MP3 encoders are not created equal. You might find that some
encoders sound better than others for a given .wav., but generally
speaking, louder is better regardless of what's being evaluated.

When I make MP3s of my material to send via email or website, I just use
the program material "as is." I don't recall any serious evaluations of
MP3 encoders or encoding levels here on RAP.

AT

I've heard some MP3's that were made with variable bit rateat the high quality
setting and vas really surprised at how good they sounded.

There was a little deterioation of reverb tails , but that waas about it. No
glaring artifcts.
Richard H. Kuschel