Nicole Kidman

Default Why is the AR XA headshell made of plastic?

I'm puzzled at why this supposedly amazing turntable would come with a
tonearm that used a plastic headshell. Considering that plastic perhaps
vibrates less than metal could that be a reason? Any thoughts?

Nicole.
Robert Morein

"Nicole Kidman" wrote in message
5...
I'm puzzled at why this supposedly amazing turntable would come with a
tonearm that used a plastic headshell. Considering that plastic perhaps
vibrates less than metal could that be a reason? Any thoughts?

Nicole.

No, just cheap.
The XA was a college student favorite, a minimalist design, at a minimal
price. I paid $79.95 for mine.

The tone arm also lacks other features of modern tone arms, such as a two
point bearing gimbal in the horizontal plane, an antiskate adjustment, and a
cueing mechanism. All this was sacrificed for economy. The platter/motor
adjustment rates much higher on the scale of things, which is the principle
reason for the endearing popularity of this piece.

At your salary per film, I would think you could afford a better table .

Arny Krueger

"Nicole Kidman" wrote in message
5

I'm puzzled at why this supposedly amazing turntable would come with a
tonearm that used a plastic headshell.

Plastic headshells weren't that unusual in inexpensive turntables and
changers of the day.

Considering that plastic
perhaps vibrates less than metal could that be a reason? Any thoughts?

The plastic headshell was the least of the AR turntable's tonearm problems.
Leading issues related to friction both horizontally and vertically. The arm
was sorta competent at 2 grams tracking force and above, but quite
incompetent below 1.5 grams. When it was introduced it was marginal, but as
cartridge technology advanced it became problematical.

Arny Krueger

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

The vertical wasn't too bad, because it has a gimbal.

You could call it that. There were two bearings composed of hardened steel
points in glass sockets. If you adjusted them right and didn't crack the
glass, then it was OK.

The horizontal is actually a large ball bearing with far too much

friction.

The ball was the thrust bearing, but there was a long sleeve bearing as
well. And you're right, most mistracking was due to excess horizontal
resistance.

I could get it to track at 1 gram, but at the time Shure had ultra-low
tracking force cartridges, which were not compatible.

I owned two AR TTs, and had friends who also had them. IME, YMMV.