Harry Lavo

Default weakest Link in the Chain

"chung" wrote in message
news:3qXMb.43729$sv6.118789@attbi_s52...
Harry Lavo wrote:

As you know from previous discussions Chung there is widespread

belief
among
audiophiles that the test itself is flawed in revealing most audible
perceptions other than volume differences, frequency differences, and
distortion artifacts.

What else is there?

I guess you only read posts that reinforce your prior beliefs? I spent

lot of time here outlining a double-blind proto-monadic test that could
serve as a control, explained the test, and explained its value as a
control. Do you not recall?

No, I was addressing your immediate post. You were saying that DBT's
were "flawed in revealing most audible perceptions other than volume
differences, frequency differences, and distortion artifacts". So you
are effectively saying that DBT's are good in revealing audible
preceptions such as volume differences, frequency differnces and
distortion artifacts. Besides those perceptions, what others effects do
you have in mind? Especially considering that Mr Leung was talking about
cables?

Well lets start with timbre, dimensionality, width and depth of soundstage,
transparency, microdynamics, macrodynamic freedom, etc etc.

Your pervious double-blind proto-monadic proposals are simply irrelevant
in this context.

My previous discussion relates to proving that dbt's as typically used are
the appropriate tool for open-ended evaluation of audio components. Period.
Whether we are talking cables, cd players, amplifiers, phono cartridges, or
even speakers.

The test is good enough for designers like Paradigm, Harmon Kardon,

KEF,
etc., no? You trust the so-called audiophiles, some of them believing a
cable needs to be burned in, or you trust the engineers at Paradigm or
KEF, or the designers of codecs?

Again you are joining Stewart in repeating an (at best) half-truth ad
nauseum here. Those firms use DBT's for specific purposes to listen for
specific things that they "train" their listeners to hear. That is

called
"development".

No, the tests were performed because they are the most sensitive in
detecting audible differences. Training can definitely increase the
sensitivity further. You and others are free to take as much training as
you like prior to taking the cable test. Given that the cable
differences are so obvious, we would have thought that not much training
is required, no?

Audible differences that are already known or suspected to exist. Not
evaluation of components overall. And this has nothing to do with cables
per se.

In the food industry we used such tests for color, for
texture and "mouth feel", for saltiness and other flavor

characteristics.
That is a far cry from a final, open-ended evaluation whereby when you

start
you have simply a new component and are not sure what you are looking

for /
simply listening and trying to determine if / how the new component

sounds
vs. the old. It is called "open ended" testing for a reason...and there

is
could reason to believe that conventional dbt or abx testing is not the

best
way to do it and may mask certain important factors that may be more
apparent in more relaxed listening. The issue isn't so much the blind

vs
sighted as it is the comparative vs. the evaluative....and while a

double
blind evaluative test (such as the proto-monadic "control test" I

outlined)
may be the ideal, it is so difficult to do that it is simply not

practical
for home listeners treating it as a hobby to undertake. So as

audiophiles
not convinced of the validity of convention dbt's for open-ended

evaluation,
we turn to the process of more open ended evaluative testing as a better

bet
despite possible sighted bias.

That's strange. You *know* that there is sighted bias. You just
*speculate* that you need "open-ended" testing. Yet you still prefer
sighted testing, despite DBT's being widely used for audio testing, such
as in codec development, speaker design, etc. Why is it so hard to tell
things apart once you cannot see them? Why are you not relaxed? Because
you know you need the sight input?

Nope because I've had enough experience with all kinds of tests to know how
quickly the wrong evaluative tool can lead to wrong or misleading results.
And in this case I believe the blind testing techniques (as usually
practiced) are not conducive to evaluative listening. Do the proper testin
with control to prove me wrong and i will support your POV. Without proper
control testing, I will make my own subjective choice of tools.

Of course we've been over this many times here. But obviously you don't
even care to acknowledge the issue.

And obviously you don't knowledge the repeated rebuttals to your issues...

I have acknowledged them repeatedly. Explained my reasoning. Established a
proper framework for further discussion (i.e. what would the definitive
control test be, etc etc.) and all I get is trust us, dbt'ng will work.

Also has been pointed out, no control tests have
*ever* been done on these techniques against other forms of

open-ended
evaluative testing of audio components. *THAT* is why most of us are
totally disinterested in the $4000 challenge (in addition to the fact

that
it has only been vaguely promised and the money itself doesn't

physically
exist in a pool...but it does make a great stick to wave at people,

doesn't
it.)

Why don't you all pool your $4000, do a definitive control test, and

if
it
supports your position write it up and submit it for peer review.

Which self-respecting scientific journal will be interested in
publishing an experiment that agrees with existing knowledge? Now if

you
can show that cables that measure within 0.1dB from 20Hz to 20KHz can

be
distinguished, *that's* worth publishing.

I'm talking about a comparative dbt vs a control dbt for evaluative
listening. That has not been done and not been published. This is a bit
(quite a bit, I think) of a red herring.

Well, no self-repecting scientific journal will publish a paper proving
the validity of DBT's used in subtle difference detection. You're
welcome to disprove it, of course.

Well, how about a paper showing that dbt's are *better than* proto-mondadic
evaluative testing in discovering those differences. Or not as the case may
be. Or that evaluative proto-monadic testing double blind duplicates
sighted listening more than it does traditional dbts when conducting
open-ended evaluations of audio components. These are all possible
conclusions...and I can guarantee you that if a really reigorous proper test
were undertaken and properly documented, the paper would be submitted to
peer review and be published.

Then if
it gets accepted you'll get your $4000 worth, and all the free time

you
won't have to argue here will allow you time to enjoy more music.

I'll take the lack of response to indicate a willingness to concede the
point. Otherwise I'd have to think you are once again not taking my
critique/proposal seriously. :-)

I thought I responded already when I said that no self-respecting
scientific journal will publish a paper on null results on cable
testing. And you are right in a way, I was not taking your proposal
seriously, because of the pointlessness of trying to prove something
that has been proven so many times...

Ah, the very model of open-mindedness. Hey, how about instead of your
favorite litany, you actually propose here a proper control test. Would
make for a more interesting discussion, don't you think?

Joseph Oberlander

normanstrong wrote:

The usual phrasing of the old saw is, "A chain is only as strong as
its weakest link." The proper statement would be, "A chain is
EXACTLY as strong as its weakest link." That is indeed true if we're
talking about physical chains made of metal links. Nothing you can do
to the other links will make the chain the least little bit stronger.

If you're talking about the quality of a "chain" of audio equipment,
the statement is not true. Any improvement in the quality of any of
the components of an audio chain will result in an improvement in the
quality of the chain itself.

This is bad logic. In fact, every time you TOUCH the signal, you
degrade it. It's not an improvement at each step of the way, but
a loss and an attempt to minimize that loss as much as is possible.

Better cables at *best* would just mitigate a tiny fraction of the
damage to the signal compared to plain wires. But, real testing
shows that the wires are just not a factor.

Perhaps that *all* copper comes from the same dozen or so smelting
plants around the planet has something to do with it?
Joseph Oberlander

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

I have never said any such thing. I *have* said that 'wire is wire',
because that is what both theory *and* practice tells us. Only a few
wild and entirely unsupported claims say otherwise. Do you believe in
Bigfoot, or that Elvis lives?

Hey! Bigfoot may well *have* existed. There is evidence of a race of
giants that were wiped out as soon ago as a few thousand years, so a
few stragglers may have susrived for a while and created the legends.

Joseph Oberlander

---MIKE--- wrote:

If the differences in cables is so subtle that they won't show up in a
DBT, why is anybody concerned about them? Why spend big bucks for
something that can't be heard? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the
money on something that really matters - like better speakers or Room
Tunes?

Because people can't get over the idea that their pet system is
really not that special. Afterall, if a $10 set of wires is good
enough, their gold-plated CD player...

Heh.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

And you think these are not caused by frequency responses differences or
distortion differences. And seriously, in cables?

[...]

My participation in this thread was based on disagreeing with what
Lawrence said about cables. Not really interested in extending it to a
general dbt debate: been there, done that, waste of bandwidth.

So, do you agree with Lawrence that there is a cable theory shared by
millions of audiophiles? Or that cables can make a big difference in
bass response?

Nousaine

Keith Hughes wrote:

Lawrence Leung wrote:

Snip

Thank you for your reasoning.

The thing is, Stewart's "blind test" already assumed that the subject
will guess at the beginning because of the $4000 pool. I know what you
saying, sometime we will bias on certain if we see the cable first, but
you know, do it yourself at home, in regardless of that "attractive"
$4000, honestly to yourself, I bet the difference between a cheap dirty
zip-cord and a 6N copper wire is obvious;

Many *have* tried it. As have I. What *I* heard as obvious in a
sighted demonstration completely disappeard at home - under just
single blind conditions.

same thing as a solid copper
interconnect and a silver/copper hybrid interconnect. I can say that,
because I have done it and experiencing the difference, many times. I
don't need to do any nonsense test to prove to me that is right.

Quite true. You only need real evidence if you expect others to
accept that your *beliefs* are anything more than just that.

The test has a major problem because of the extend of time it consume,

Yeah, takes a couple of hours. What a burden!

and as I pointed out above, it bias that the tester will lie even if
he/she cannot tell the difference.

Ahhh...and here you, yourself, are validating the need for
multiple trials. In multiple trials (such as the '20' suggested to
you), it will make no difference whether you "lie" or not. If you
don't hear a difference, you have to guess in order to "lie", and
guess what? The statistics will demonstrate that you are, in fact,
just guessing.

I say, if I can tell the difference the first time, that is! Why didn't I
want to do it 20 times in a roll, because we are human, human will adapt
to an environment quite easily, after a few time of identical testing,
especially under loud volume, everything will just sounds the same,
cables, speakers, amp, preamp, source (of course you can tell between a
CD and LP).

Then by this logic, different components, wires, etc. *cannot*
make any difference whatsoever, as you "will adapt to an
environment quite easily" (very quickly if your surmise is
correct) at which point everything will sound the same. Zip cord
or Unobtanium.

You can't have it both ways.

The set up of the test is nonsense. That is why as proclaim
by Stewart why so many years, nobody even wanted to do the test, because
people have better way to spend their time.

Now *that* is nonsense. Many people have done the testing, and
found our truth to be at odds with yours.

Keith Hughes

Sorry to arrive late to the thread. I've been away at the Consumer Electronics
Show. I agree with Mr Hughes; except it isn't "our" truth. It's only THE truth.

I began bias-controlled listening tests in the late 70s; at home, with no
professional financing or backing. I just had an deep curiosity as to what the
truth was about sound quality and not necessarily what had been printed in the
press or was passed on word-of-mouth by audiophiles, friends and salesmen. The
latter curiosity came about precisely because I had once 'tricked' myself about
the sound of capacitor dialectric.

Implementing bias controls in listening tests is not that difficult and ANY
interested party of normal intelligence should have no trouble doing so.

Over time I did become financially involved in audio on the evaluation side and
have continued to evolve techniques to reduce bias in even open evaluations.

I've conducted dozens of bias-controlled tests involving up to 16 weeks of
"open-ended" listening, in-home tests, in-salon tests, at Convention tests and
every other kind of site that had been claimed to 'improve' sensitivity. Most,
of these tests were conducted with my own personal resources (not at the behest
of a magazine or other party) and while I have been paid for the publication of
some that payment came only AFTER I had already performed the experiment to
satisfy my personal curiosity.

The practical result is that whenever a "believer" claims a difference (be it
wires, amplifiers, cd players, DACs, isolation devices, et al) where there is
no confirming known physical differences that lay above the known threshold of
human hearing sensitivity NO SINGLE SUBJECT has EVER been able to reliably
identify the claimed source when even the most modest of bias-control measures
are taken (the least of which was a blanket placed over I/O terminals).

No one subject, even in multiple subject experiments, has ever shown an ability
to reliably identify wires, parts, bits or amplifiers even in their personal
reference systems using their personally selected recordings.

Of course, proponents will have all kinds of excuses as to why this has
happened and to why the tests were flawed.

All subjects agreed in advance (most were paid) that the testing scenario was
fair and acceptable. Some argued post-test, but so far, none has ever found a
reasonable explanation as to why a 'pretty amazing' difference would suddenly
disappear when NOTHING more than the answer sheet was taken down before an
answer had to be made.

This last thread is pretty interesting in that one poster argued that only ONE
trial is necessary and that multiple trials and extended listening would
obscure differences. Many of the "other" arguments are that the experiments are
too "short".

Audio Guy

In article gi4Nb.55157$8H.104911@attbi_s03,
"Harry Lavo" writes:
"Audio Guy" wrote in message
In article ntMMb.41503$xy6.112391@attbi_s02,
"Harry Lavo" writes:

..

I guess you only read posts that reinforce your prior beliefs? I spent

lot of time here outlining a double-blind proto-monadic test that could
serve as a control, explained the test, and explained its value as a
control. Do you not recall?

I recall that you over and over again promote a single, unduplicated
test that you think shows that some of your unfounded critisms of
standard DBTs might be valid, yet it had nothing to do with component
comparison, much less open-ended, which is often the rallying cry of
the anti-DBTers against DBTs. So explain again why *your* test is
superior?

Thank you for remembering. However, you don't quite remember accurately.
The control test I proposed is similar to the Oohashi et al test in that it
is evaluative over a range of qualitative factors, done in a relaxed state
and environment, and with repeated hearing of full musical excerpts. But it
is not a duplicate of the test. The arguments for such tests have been
made here for years..long before the Oohashi article was published. He and
his researchers apparently reached the same conclusion...that it was a more
effective way of testing for the purposes under study...which were
semi-open-ended evaluations of the musical reproduction. Double blind, by
the way, as was my proposed test.

As long as it's double blind I have no problems with it, but I have
yet to see you propose any reason for rejecting the current DBTs
except that they don't agree with your sighted results.

..

Again you are joining Stewart in repeating an (at best) half-truth ad
nauseum here. Those firms use DBT's for specific purposes to listen for
specific things that they "train" their listeners to hear. That is

called
"development". In the food industry we used such tests for color, for
texture and "mouth feel", for saltiness and other flavor

characteristics.
That is a far cry from a final, open-ended evaluation whereby when you

start
you have simply a new component and are not sure what you are looking

for /
simply listening and trying to determine if / how the new component

sounds
vs. the old. It is called "open ended" testing for a reason...

Yes, because it never ends, and so never gets to a result.

This is just retoric and is absolute nonesense! :-(

How so, if it is open-ended it seems by definition to not have an end.
How do you tell when it has reached the end, when it gets the results
you want?

could reason to believe that conventional dbt or abx testing is not the

best
way to do it and may mask certain important factors that may be more
apparent in more relaxed listening.

And again, your only defense is that DBT results don't agree with
your opinions. DBTs can and have been done over long periods with
relaxed listening, and the results are the same.

On Tom's say so and without any detailed description or published data. I'm
talking about a rigorous, scientific test of dbt, control proto-mondadic,
and sighted open ended testing. With careful sample selection, proctoring,
statistical analysis, and peer-reviewed publication. Once that is done I
will be happy to accept what conclusions emerge. It hasn't been done, and
so *assertiosn* that comparative dbt's such as abx are appropriate is just
that, an assertion.

It's much more than an assertion, it has data to back it up, unlike
your assertions that audio DBTs are just "assertions".

The issue isn't so much the blind vs
sighted as it is the comparative vs. the evaluative....and while a

double
blind evaluative test (such as the proto-monadic "control test" I

outlined)
may be the ideal, it is so difficult to do that it is simply not

practical
for home listeners treating it as a hobby to undertake. So as

audiophiles
not convinced of the validity of convention dbt's for open-ended

evaluation,
we turn to the process of more open ended evaluative testing as a better

bet
despite possible sighted bias.

Again only because you don't agree with the results.

Will you please stop saying that. I have no particular stake in this..I am
not a proponent of cable differences. I use mostly 12 guage twisted pair in
my own system...chosen by sighted listening as offering everything more
exotic cables offered that I tested, and better than some. I have an MBA
with a strong dose of operations analysis and behavioral psychology...my
thinking is pretty disciplined. The inability of the "objectivists" here to
acknowledge the primacy of their (your) belief system drives me up the wall.
That and the fact that I have twenty years of helping to design and analyze
marketing research tests is why I am one of the people here who have
challenged the conventional assumptions.

But you don't really know what my beliefs are, do you? I actually do
know there are differences in audio components because I have
performed positive DBTs with components, but since they were not
published I doubt they'd be accepted since there were no controls.
Because of them I am sure that typical DBTs will show differences
when they do exist without needing open-ended proto etc. etc. And I
do have an MSEE myself with over twenty years of electronic design
experience and know how this stuff works. Now cables on the other
hand...

Of course we've been over this many times here. But obviously you don't
even care to acknowledge the issue.

There are quite a few issues you obviously don't care to acknowledge
yourself, such as JNDs, known bias from knowing a change has been
made, etc. How confident are you that you can overcome all of these
known biases? Why do you think DBTs were invented?

I certainly acknowledge those things. Thats why I propsed a control test
along with both dbt and open-end alternative tests. However, barring such a
definitive control test, I choose open-end evaluative sighted testing for
most purposes in evaluating component, over comparative dbts. I choose it
because I believe the type of error that can result is less troublesome.

I really doubt that is why you use sighted "evaluation" instead of
DBTs.

..

I'm talking about a comparative dbt vs a control dbt for evaluative
listening. That has not been done and not been published. This is a bit
(quite a bit, I think) of a red herring.

Not at all, Chung is quite right that proposing such a test would
just get big yawns from the scientific community, but your *test* is
one huge red herring IMO.

You are welcome to your opinion, but I still believe I am right. Design a
really well done experiment and it will get published. Or alternatively,
show me one rejection from an established journal with a written assessment
of a test that has never been done before, stating that it is not worth
publishing because it is "old news".

You can believe whatever you want, but Chung and I work in the
industry and I'm sure we have a better understanding of what would be
accepted. I agree that a test proving that valbes do sound different
would get published, but I'm not holding my breath till such a report
comes about.
..

I'll take the lack of response to indicate a willingness to concede the
point. Otherwise I'd have to think you are once again not taking my
critique/proposal seriously. :-)

Why would he, you don't seem to take the mounds of evidence about the
results of DBTs seriously. And please no reams of text about 1,75db
differences, etc, etc, as I glaze over everytime I read it, so don't
bother.

I take them seriously, I just don't take them as definitive without a proper
control test. End of discussion.

You still have yet to show why audio DBTs as typically practiced are
not valid tests. What is it that makes you so sure that they aren't?
It still boils down to "their results don't agree with (my) sighted
evaluations". If this is not true, please explain.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 00:09:32 GMT, (RBernst929)
wrote:

Well said and i agree completely. Mr. Pinkerton et al dont seem to understand
that scientific investigation is an ongoing process.. not an absolute.

Sure we do, hence my offering of a sweetener for new *evidence*
regarding cable sound. BTW, I do wish you'd quote that with which
you're agreeing.

Indeed,
the scientific method involves observing, measuring and hypthosizing and then
trying to be proved wrong. Scientists expect their hypotheses to be proved
wrong and are not upset by this, on the contrary this is the way science
progresses to more accurate theories.

Quite so, hence the 'cable challenge'. Interesting that none of 'your
side' seems to be interested in finding out if they can do it........

But to think we know all we need to know
about anything is silly. And, to the poster that suggested that i donate
$4,000 if i cannot detect a change in cables this is not the deal as proposed
by your proponents.

So, you like to strut, but don't like to back your posturing with cold
cash? That's another difference between us.

Im merely saying i can take you up on your offer provided
i do it in my known system. It is unfair to take me into a foreign and unknown
system and just switch wires. There are too many variables at play to be fair.

Fine, and that's why I'd *prefer* that the trials be undertaken in
your own system - it removes all your excuses.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Jan 2004 03:12:47 GMT, (RBernst929) wrote:

AND.... if science didnt progress.. i suppose the CD player as invented by Sony
and Phillips back in the 80's would be the same as it is today? Well, science
"learned" that they could be made better by eliminating jitter. Until
discovered, no one knew about jitter.

Classic urban myth. Jitter and its mechanisms were well known in the
communications industry for *decades* before CD was launched, but the
engineers at Sony/Philips didn't think that anyone would be dumb
enough to split the transport and DAC without including a clock link.
Then along came the so-called 'high end' audio industry.............

I really think its an insult to the
intellience of most audiophiles

On current evidence, that would need to be one heck of an insult! BTW,
it's useful if you can spell intelligence, in this context.... :-)

to think that marketing alone accounts for all
the diversity of CD players and other components including wire.

Theory and prectice suggests that this is indeed the case.

Some of it is
undoutedly snake oil.. but alot of it is also genuine progress.

Please quote an example of 'genuine progress' in cables - or indeed in
CD players since about 1990, when '1-bit' players were introduced.

If we knew all
we needed to know about CD players, "perfect sound forever" would'nt be an
oxymoron now. -Bob Bernstein.

It was only a marketing slogan then, and of course it's an hyperbole,
not an oxymoron - unlike military intelligence.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 05:57:21 GMT, Joseph Oberlander
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

I have never said any such thing. I *have* said that 'wire is wire',
because that is what both theory *and* practice tells us. Only a few
wild and entirely unsupported claims say otherwise. Do you believe in
Bigfoot, or that Elvis lives?

Hey! Bigfoot may well *have* existed. There is evidence of a race of
giants that were wiped out as soon ago as a few thousand years, so a
few stragglers may have susrived for a while and created the legends.

Quite so, and the legend of cable sound still persists, despite a
total absence of evidence of its present-day existence.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 02:00:12 GMT, "chris"
wrote:

"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:13:33 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

BTW, how come nobody can answer my question: "If you can distinguish two
cables the first time, why bother to do another 19 times? If you can't
distinguish them, why bother to give yourself a second chance?"

Simple - you might simply have made a lucky guess the first time.
Getting 16 correct out of 20 gives you 95% probability that you are
not guessing. BTW, note that if you use a large number of listeners,
this probability level means that 1 in 20 of them *will* achieve 16
out of 20 just by random chance!

Stewart. Your maths are flawed
to get 16 out of 20 is the same 4 out of 5 or 80%

NO! To get better than 95% probability that it's not random chance,
the required percentage correct drops as the number of trials
increases, so that while you need 9 out of 10, you only need 15 out of
20, and this reduces to not much more than 500 out of 1,000 (for the
real obsessives!).

Yes, it's been pointed out that it should be 15 out of 20, not 16, for
better than 95% confidence. That's fine, rules changed accordingly.

Lawrence Leung

I can't help but say a few more things...

Let's assume all you say about "wire is wire", all speaker cables are the
same, there is absolutely no difference among speaker cables as far as
listening concern. So forth and so on...

If it is such an absolute truth, absolute fact, why there are more and
more cable companies in the market? Look, I don't know about other
countries, but in the USA, every company has to be responsible to what
they claimed their product(s) can do, you just can't make such obvious
lie (as you accuse) your speaker cable is such and such.

The only reason that I can think of is: whatever test that you or someone
propose is not a valid test, or at least the test result is not a valid
result! I'm pretty sure that if a test like that is confirmed true, it
will simply put the global multi-billion dollars business to a halt, am I
right?

But so far, we haven't heard of any such kind of confirmation from any
"big" name research lab, University, government office, some place that
is more "trustable" then a group of people making claim. I'm not saying
you are lying, it is just the doubt. Why is $4000? The test can only
verify that whether you can or you cannot hear the difference, but it
cannot directly prove that these two cables are the same.

How many people in the world that will listen to music, or have contacted
special speaker cables? How many people had already taken the test? What
is the ratio of that? Let say there are altogether one million
audiophiles in the world that is or was using special speaker cables
(hey, I belive Chung and Pinky used special speaker cables before but
since they cannot tell the difference, they gave up using them), and say
there had been one thousand of them took the test, all of them fail to
tell the difference, OK then, so you can say 1000/1000000=0.1% of the who
audiophiles propulation agreed that "wire is wire", but is it enough?

You only have 0.1% of the fact that backup your claim, and you then call
it evidence? You then call it a fact? You then call it a truth? I would
say, promote the test more, wait until you have more than 95%. As Pinky
pointed out, you have to have a 95% assurance to prove that one claim is
correct.

Let me know when will the 95% come, perhaps by then, I will also give up
my believe on "speaker cable makes the difference", but before that, 0.1%
of doubt will not affect me or the other 99.9% audiophiles in the world.

Lawerence Leung
Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:

[...]

I think these things can be caused by subtle differences in the passive
components used, and in how they and the design itself handle dynamics. In
cables, I have heard open ended a difference in perceived soundfield
dimensionality, and I have also heard frequency and for want of a better
word "grain" abberations. However, I concluded these were (at least one
was) a downgrade and rejected one cable and sold the other. I have no idea
what may have caused these effects in cables. I am not hung up on cables.

[...]

Well, testing cables is a sub-set of testing components. If there are
problems with dbt's (or not) they apply equally to cable testing as to other
components.

So, do you agree with Lawrence that there is a cable theory shared by
millions of audiophiles? Or that cables can make a big difference in
bass response?

No I know of no theory. But one of the cables mentioned above did seem to
put a "dynamic clamp" on the bass with the two amplifiers I was testing with
(one solid state, one tube).
normanstrong

"chris" wrote in message
"Stewart Pinkerton" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 21:13:33 GMT, Lawrence Leung
wrote:

Ok! So only you guys know, only you guys right!

No, the entire world body of physicists and electrical engineers

is
right, and 'audiophiles' tend not to be technically

sophisticated -
and also tend to be paranoid about 'tweaks'.

The what so ever EE principal, physics theory never draw into a

conclusion
like: "So, it concluded that wire is wire, cable does not

matter", that is
your conclusion, so do not try to add that to the scientists.

Actually, electrical and neurophysiological theory and

experimental
evidence *does* tell us that differences among cables are at a

level
which is *far* below audibility.

Fine, if you insist on living in that little hole, that's your

life, your
opinion.

No, it's a plain fact, and neither you nor anyone else has *ever*

been
able to show evidence that this is not the case.

BTW, how come nobody can answer my question: "If you can

distinguish two
cables the first time, why bother to do another 19 times? If you

can't
distinguish them, why bother to give yourself a second chance?"

Simple - you might simply have made a lucky guess the first time.
Getting 16 correct out of 20 gives you 95% probability that you

are
not guessing. BTW, note that if you use a large number of

listeners,
this probability level means that 1 in 20 of them *will* achieve

16
out of 20 just by random chance!

When I was in college, everytime I proved a theory, I only need

to prove it
once, never heard of I have to continusly prove to it 16 out of

20 times to
pass the proof.

You seem to be missing the point that these are *observations*,

not
theories. Also, theory suggests that all cables *do* sound the

same,
so you need to come up with solid *evidence* in rebuttal.

You can happily enjoy your what so ever principal, while the

others (I
tempted to use millions again) are still enjoying the open air of

cable
world.

And you can happily enjoy your *illusion* that cables sound

different.
The *facts* however, will remain the same. Wire is wire.

Stewart. Your maths are flawed
to get 16 out of 20 is the same 4 out of 5 or 80%
if you multiply the number of subjects who all complete the tests
you still get 80%. just a load more data to crunch.

It's always dangerous to correct someone in public. Nevertheless, I
should point out that 16 out of 20 is not the same as 4 out of 5, for
statistical purposes. Not even close!

Norm Strong

Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Jan 2004 15:25:59 GMT, (Buster Mudd) wrote:

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote in message ...

I.e.,
what if when the 2 test cables are precisely level matched at 1kHz,
one of them measures +1dB at 10kHz and -0.5dB at 100Hz?

That would require a *very* peculiar combination of cable and speaker!

Consider it a thought experiment then; I'm mostly interested in
understanding the methodology of these ABX DBTs, & especially the
criteria by which you would or would not willingly surrender your
$4000.

The cables need to match to +/- 0.1dB at the speaker terminals at
100Hz, 1kHz and 10kHz, the test protocol has to be double blind, and
you need to get 15 right out of 20 trials. Other than that, the choice
of equipment and music is free, and there's no time limit.

The only other pre-conditions are that the test is proctored by a
third party acceptable to both 'sides', and that the results will be
published in this forum. (moderators permitting).

BTW, it's not *my* $4,000, that's a pool to which I contribute $200.
On my side of the pond, I do personally offer a prize of £1,000 for
the same result.

Surely you're
not suggesting that those differences be somehow compensated for to
maintain level matching at all three reference frequencies?

If that's what the cable was claimed to do, then I'd have no issue
with that, but if there are *other* claims made of the usual
technobbable sort, then a simple and cheap EQ to achieve matching
would prove the point. After all, I would simply be matching the
frequency response without affecting any of the other claimed
properties.

Let me make sure I understand the above: you're saying that in the
hypothetical instance where the 2 cables in the DBT didn't level match
at 100Hz and/or 10kHz when they did level match at 1kHz, you would be
compelled to actively match them via spectral equalization before
proceeding with the test?

No, I'd just add a few passive components to some zipcord, to achieve
the same FR imbalance as the 'audiophile' cable. It would remain a
requirement of the test that matching is achieved, since this test is
not about whether you can hear the effect of rolled-off treble!

L Mirabel

(Audio Guy) wrote in message

Why would he, you don't seem to take the mounds of evidence about the

results of DBTs seriously. And please no reams of text about 1,75db

differences, etc, etc, as I glaze over everytime I read it, so don't

bother.

I copied below your long posting in its entirety.

I read it till "my eyes glazed over" and found a lot of assertions about the
"mounds" of DBTs, that were done, somewhere out there, and proved how
valuable DBT is for hearing differences between components and so on and on.

Just one thing is missing. Forget a "mound". Give*one single reference* to
an experiment showing that the randomly selected audiophiles using it found
differences between comparable components. (Author, mag., year, volume,
page)

I promise not to glaze when faced with such proper, verifiable reference.

In case your training as an electronics eng. and psychologist did not
acquaint with the difference between unsupported assertion and experimental
evidence you could ask Mr. Chung and Mr. Pinkerton to help out.

Ludovic Mirabel

I do not have disposable $4000:00- not even Canadian. Would a bottle of
Mumm's do to celebrate your joint victory?

In article ntMMb.41503$xy6.112391@attbi_s02,
"Harry Lavo" writes:
"chung" wrote in message
Harry Lavo wrote:
"chung" wrote in message
RBernst929 wrote:
You know, Mr. Pinkerton, Im getting a little peeved reading about

your
100%
certainty of objectivity. If YOUR belief system includes so

called
"objective"
paradigms then i accept that as your perogative. However, your
assertions that
other people's perceptions are wrong because they dont correlate

with
measurements is pompous. If you really believe that we currently

know
all
there is to know about equipment, measurements and "objectivity"

that
is
your
right. But, im here to tell you that everyone lives through their
perceptions
including scientists and objectivists. Please be so humble as to

leave
room
for perceptions as reality because i do hear a difference in

cables
and
bi-wiring even if you say i should'nt.

That's why he and some of us are putting up the $4K pool: to

motivate
you to prove us wrong.

The difference between us is, i can
acknowledge your point of view without disparaging it or saying

its
wrong. If
science has taught us anything, it is that we know very little

about
physical
processes.

That's not true. We have a good understanding of the human hearing
limits, and of the psychological effects leading to perceived
differences. Sure, we don't know everything, but we know a lot.
Esepcially about electrical engineering as applied to audio

reproduction.

[...]

Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" writes:

.

[...]

Because the current dbt's seem to work best on picking up simple differences
in volume, frequency respond, and unmusical distortion. Nobody hears
differences in depth or width of soundstage, differences in timbrel
accuracy, especially with dynamic music, etc. These are things that at the
top levels of audio are audible and do make a difference. In part this is
because these things are not "instataneous". If there is one thing that the
Oohashi et al test established (without a doubt, documented in the article)
is that *music* as opposed to sound triggers an *emotional* response from
the brain that takes 20 secs or so to fully register and be operational. I
and others believe that many of the more subtle effects involving high-end
audio reproduction of music require this component to be present for full
perception. This requires a relaxed, evaluative state (an ability to
*describe* the sound, not just note a difference) developed over repeated
listening, alternating. This is a far cry from the conventional dbt as
practiced. To determine whether or not this is the case is what a control
test is required for. Simply saying "it works for codecs, therefore it must
be appropriate for high-end audio comparisons of components" is simply not
(and has not) going to fly for a large segment of audiophiles.

[...]

Perhaps we have a misunderstanding. I am using open-ended here to mean that
you do not know *what* you are listening for, simply trying to evaluate what
sounds "most real" or "most right" to you. Then burrowing down from there
to trying to analyze why, and then if possible even to more specifics.

Very different from being given two (or three) quick samples, maintaining an
alert state, and trying to pick a "difference".

The test itself can still have "x" numbers of trials although they make take
weeks to complete. Most audiophiles don't approach it this rigorously due
to time (or loaner) considerations, but the concept is the same.

[...]

No data supported by a control experiment. That is the rub. And no data
done in an evaluative state, which is what protomonadic or mondadic testing
gives you.

[...]

Unfortunately, by the "rules" established here by the objectivist
contingent, you must present those results as "antecdotes" so officially
they don't count. ;-)

But on a more serious note, I would be (and I'm sure others would as well)
be interested in what you tested and what you found.

[...]

Well believe it or not, that is the reason.
chung

Lawrence Leung wrote:
I can't help but say a few more things...

Let's assume all you say about "wire is wire", all speaker cables are the
same, there is absolutely no difference among speaker cables as far as
listening concern. So forth and so on...

If it is such an absolute truth, absolute fact, why there are more and
more cable companies in the market?

I seem to receive more and more ads in email about patches or pill that
would elongate a certain part of my anatomy. According to your logic,
those must really work.

Look, I don't know about other
countries, but in the USA, every company has to be responsible to what
they claimed their product(s) can do, you just can't make such obvious
lie (as you accuse) your speaker cable is such and such.

They are not lying, striclty speaking, when they say their cable is
superior, since they know that it is in the mind of the listener like
yourself. If they were to provide evidence, either measurements or
DBT's, that the cable does sound more accurate, then perhaps someone can
go after them if those evidence turns out to be false. Have you seen
measurements or other test results given out by cable companies?

The only reason that I can think of is: whatever test that you or someone
propose is not a valid test, or at least the test result is not a valid
result!

The only reason is that there are people like you who depend on sighted
testing. That's what cable companies count on.

I'm pretty sure that if a test like that is confirmed true, it
will simply put the global multi-billion dollars business to a halt, am I
right?

If only people can only agree on what "confirmed true" means...

But so far, we haven't heard of any such kind of confirmation from any
"big" name research lab, University, government office, some place that
is more "trustable" then a group of people making claim. I'm not saying
you are lying, it is just the doubt. Why is $4000?

I put in money in the pot, because I would like to see someone like you
with a strong belief in a cable's audibility to take the test and either
fail, or provide new evidence that there is something about cable sound.
BTW, it seems like no matter whether the pot is $4K or $8K, no one
really wants to step up. What does that tell you? Here is a chance for
tbe cable believers to really shut the engineers up. Think about the
glory, if not the money.

Think about it another way. Has any big research lab, university,
government office, etc. confirmed that Elvis is dead?

The test can only
verify that whether you can or you cannot hear the difference, but it
cannot directly prove that these two cables are the same.

Huh? If you cannot hear the difference between two cables, aren't they
sonically the same? Or are you referring to other properties of the
cable such as looks, price, etc.?

How many people in the world that will listen to music, or have contacted
special speaker cables?

Those who buy expensive cables, maybe a few thousand, or maybe a little
above 10K? Those who listen to music, hundreds of millions? What does
that ratio tell you? Cable industry is a totally insignificant industry,
and it should be so.

How many people had already taken the test?

A few hundred to a few thousand have probably conducted some kind of
blind test at home. Isn't it interesting that you seldom see reports of
people passing the cable test, after care is taken to ensure that the
test is blind and that level differences have been taken out?

What
is the ratio of that? Let say there are altogether one million
audiophiles in the world that is or was using special speaker cables
(hey, I belive Chung and Pinky used special speaker cables before but
since they cannot tell the difference, they gave up using them), and say
there had been one thousand of them took the test, all of them fail to
tell the difference, OK then, so you can say 1000/1000000=0.1% of the who
audiophiles propulation agreed that "wire is wire", but is it enough?

Your theory is full of holes. The small number of testees simply mean
that people in general are not interested in testing cables. They either
buy the cables according to hype and to their apparent perception, or
are smart enough to realize that cables make such a small difference
that they buy whatever is convenient, be it RS, Home Depot, or Monster
from the Good Guys.

People know that "wire is wire" without needing to have taken the DBT
test. Some can really tell there is no difference in a sighted test, and
some know from phsycial principles that cables just cannot make the kind
of difference you claim.

You only have 0.1% of the fact that backup your claim, and you then call
it evidence? You then call it a fact? You then call it a truth? I would
say, promote the test more, wait until you have more than 95%. As Pinky
pointed out, you have to have a 95% assurance to prove that one claim is
correct.

Let me give you an analogy. You say Elvis is dead. But how many people
really have seen Elvis dead and buried? Shouldn't we wait till 95% of
all people have seen Elvis's remains before we believe Elvis is dead?

How about the fact that no one has aced the DBT for cables after
frequency response has been taken out as a factor? I'm not talking about
the $4K test, but all the cable blind test audiophiles have taken in
their homes and among friends.

Let me know when will the 95% come, perhaps by then, I will also give up
my believe on "speaker cable makes the difference", but before that, 0.1%
of doubt will not affect me or the other 99.9% audiophiles in the world.

What is your evidence that 99.9% of the audiophiles have a cable theory
that says that cables are significant different in sound? I noticed that
I have asked you several times, and you never answered.

Lawerence Leung

normanstrong

"chung" wrote in message

My participation in this thread was based on disagreeing with what
Lawrence said about cables. Not really interested in extending it to

general dbt debate: been there, done that, waste of bandwidth.

So, do you agree with Lawrence that there is a cable theory shared

by
millions of audiophiles? Or that cables can make a big difference in
bass response?

Even if I did think that cables made a big difference, the bass region
is the LAST place I'd look for it. Of R, L and C, only R makes a
difference in the bass.

Norm Strong

L Mirabel

"Nousaine" wrote in message
newsN5Nb.47664$5V2.65531@attbi_s53...

See his text below:
As usual you make a serious, reasoned contribution. You
make carping a challenge but that's what challenges are for.
Once again you show that under "bias controlled"
conditions the differences between any and all hi-fi components disappear.
That is not new. We already know that listening for
experiment results in null-negative responses from the majority of the
panel. What is missing are the examples of when and for what your testing
has given a positive outcome.
Till your tests give * some* positive outcomes the two
possibilities remain: 1) everything you tested indeed sounds the same or 2)
the nature of your test stops people from hearing differences.
You might say that if there are "real", measurable
differences the differences will be heard. How about this? You recently
wrote an excellent and useful review of subwoofers. They differed
measurably All you need to do is to show that a randomly selected panel
using a "bias controlled" method (to be defined more rigorously, please)
*heard* the differences you measured.
Ludovic Mirabel

Nousaine said:
[...]

chung

normanstrong wrote:
"chung" wrote in message

My participation in this thread was based on disagreeing with what
Lawrence said about cables. Not really interested in extending it to

general dbt debate: been there, done that, waste of bandwidth.

So, do you agree with Lawrence that there is a cable theory shared

by
millions of audiophiles? Or that cables can make a big difference in
bass response?

Even if I did think that cables made a big difference, the bass region
is the LAST place I'd look for it. Of R, L and C, only R makes a
difference in the bass.

Norm Strong

Well, you and I think similarly due to our technical backgrounds.
Unfortunately (or rather fortunately for the cable companies), most
audiophiles are quite clueless when it comes to technical issues.
Witness the acceptance of garbage like cables need to be broken in.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

Well lets start with timbre, dimensionality, width and depth of

soundstage,
transparency, microdynamics, macrodynamic freedom, etc etc.

And you think these are not caused by frequency responses differences or
distortion differences. And seriously, in cables?

I think these things can be caused by subtle differences in the passive
components used, and in how they and the design itself handle dynamics.

Well, you are not making sense here. If there are subtle differences in
passive components, they have to show up in frequency response,
distortion or noise measurements. All of those you said DBT's are
capable of differentiating. Especially if it's fast A/B switching, and
not extended, open-ended evaluation.

BTW, active components play a much, much more important role than
passives in the resulting sound. Any difference is more likely due to
active parts (like poorly designed DAC's) than passive parts. Of course,
the modders would like you to think that passives rule...

In
cables, I have heard open ended a difference in perceived soundfield
dimensionality, and I have also heard frequency and for want of a better
word "grain" abberations. However, I concluded these were (at least one
was) a downgrade and rejected one cable and sold the other. I have no idea
what may have caused these effects in cables. I am not hung up on cables.

Good to know that you are not one of Lawrence's "millions" .

Well, testing cables is a sub-set of testing components. If there are
problems with dbt's (or not) they apply equally to cable testing as to other
components.

You keep *speculating* that there are problems with DBT's used in audio
testing. Why not provide some evidence, other than that the results
don't agree with sighted testing?

Just provide evidence that a measureable difference exceeding JND is not
detectible in DBT's, but verifiably detectible in open-ended sighted
testing (or any test protocol you care to come up with). If your
speculations are true, it should not be too hard to do this, correct?

Or provide evidence that your test protocol of choice can reliably
detect measureable differences when DBT's fail.

So, do you agree with Lawrence that there is a cable theory shared by
millions of audiophiles? Or that cables can make a big difference in
bass response?

No I know of no theory.

Sorry, Lawrence, there goes your educated guess that millions of
audiophiles share a cable theory . So far Lawrence is the only one who
believes in a unified cable theory.

But one of the cables mentioned above did seem to
put a "dynamic clamp" on the bass with the two amplifiers I was testing with
(one solid state, one tube).

Since there is no technical reason why a cable should affect bass, your
concept of "dynamic clamp" is suspicious. That also raises the question
of how real are your claims of microdynamics, macrodynamics,
dimensionality, etc. Until you can state these in technical terms, I'm
afraid that they are not transferrable concepts.

Harry Lavo

"chung" wrote in message
newsqhNb.52763$5V2.65388@attbi_s53...
Harry Lavo wrote:

Well lets start with timbre, dimensionality, width and depth of

soundstage,
transparency, microdynamics, macrodynamic freedom, etc etc.

And you think these are not caused by frequency responses differences

or
distortion differences. And seriously, in cables?

I think these things can be caused by subtle differences in the passive
components used, and in how they and the design itself handle dynamics.

Well, you are not making sense here. If there are subtle differences in
passive components, they have to show up in frequency response,
distortion or noise measurements. All of those you said DBT's are
capable of differentiating. Especially if it's fast A/B switching, and
not extended, open-ended evaluation.

Yes, but not necessarily in the conventional distortion measurements.

BTW, active components play a much, much more important role than
passives in the resulting sound. Any difference is more likely due to
active parts (like poorly designed DAC's) than passive parts. Of course,
the modders would like you to think that passives rule...

May be so, but the considerable increase in transparency between equipment
of the early 80's seems mostly attributable to the passive components. Not
much else has changed in amplifiers, for example.
And yet the cumulative effect of improved (from a sound standpoint)
capacitors and low-noise resistors has been a marked increase in
transparency.

[...]

Just follow this thread...I've been forced to repeat the reasons. They've
been hashed here (and elsewhere) for a long time.

Just provide evidence that a measureable difference exceeding JND is not
detectible in DBT's, but verifiably detectible in open-ended sighted
testing (or any test protocol you care to come up with). If your
speculations are true, it should not be too hard to do this, correct?

Or provide evidence that your test protocol of choice can reliably
detect measureable differences when DBT's fail.

That's the purpose of the control test I proposed. But the shoe should be
on the other foot...those of you expousing traditional dbt's as the most
valid test need to show that is in fact the case, not just assert it.

[...]

This is RAHE, not RAT. I describe; you engineers figure out (by
investigating) what explains it. That is how progress has always come about
in this hobby of ours.
Lawrence Leung

chung wrote in news:NEgNb.67259$na.39785@attbi_s04:

I seem to receive more and more ads in email about patches or pill
that would elongate a certain part of my anatomy. According to your
logic, those must really work.

Strictly speaking, those claim works on certain circumstance but not everyone will have
the same effect.

They are not lying, striclty speaking, when they say their cable is
superior, since they know that it is in the mind of the listener like
yourself. If they were to provide evidence, either measurements or
DBT's, that the cable does sound more accurate, then perhaps someone
can go after them if those evidence turns out to be false. Have you
seen measurements or other test results given out by cable companies?

Yes, I have. A lot of cable companies gave out their L, C, and Q value from their speaker
cables and interconnect. I compare those values with the Home Depot zip-cord, they are far
higher than the "special" speaker cables. Then, how can you say "wire is wire", "they have
no difference", all you need to have is a simple LCR meter.

If only people can only agree on what "confirmed true" means...

That mean NO!?

I put in money in the pot, because I would like to see someone like
you with a strong belief in a cable's audibility to take the test and
either fail, or provide new evidence that there is something about
cable sound. BTW, it seems like no matter whether the pot is $4K or
$8K, no one really wants to step up. What does that tell you? Here is
a chance for tbe cable believers to really shut the engineers up.
Think about the glory, if not the money.

Wait a second, you said thousand of people took the test before, and now you said "no one
really wants to step up"? Which statement is true? If you set up a test, with significant
amount of money award, and not even one show up for the test, does it mean that something
wrong with the test? BTW, by saying "no one really wants to step up", that will include
you and Pinky and your troops?

Think about it another way. Has any big research lab, university,
government office, etc. confirmed that Elvis is dead?

No, because a lot of people seen his burial, offical already confirmed he is dead.

Huh? If you cannot hear the difference between two cables, aren't they
sonically the same? Or are you referring to other properties of the
cable such as looks, price, etc.?

See above. If you cannot hear the difference between two cables, they are sonically the
same to you, cannot apply to anyone else.

Those who buy expensive cables, maybe a few thousand, or maybe a
little above 10K? Those who listen to music, hundreds of millions?
What does that ratio tell you? Cable industry is a totally
insignificant industry, and it should be so.

How many people had already taken the test?

A few hundred to a few thousand have probably conducted some kind of
blind test at home. Isn't it interesting that you seldom see reports
of people passing the cable test, after care is taken to ensure that
the test is blind and that level differences have been taken out?

That means nobody took the test whatsoever.

Your theory is full of holes. The small number of testees simply mean
that people in general are not interested in testing cables. They
either buy the cables according to hype and to their apparent
perception, or are smart enough to realize that cables make such a
small difference that they buy whatever is convenient, be it RS, Home
Depot, or Monster from the Good Guys.

People know that "wire is wire" without needing to have taken the DBT
test. Some can really tell there is no difference in a sighted test,
and some know from phsycial principles that cables just cannot make
the kind of difference you claim.

This is only your assumption, and have no solid number backing it up? Again, it is you and
your troops always demand the proof, then you have to have solid number to back up your
words.

Let me give you an analogy. You say Elvis is dead. But how many people
really have seen Elvis dead and buried? Shouldn't we wait till 95% of
all people have seen Elvis's remains before we believe Elvis is dead?

I have no problem believe Elvis is dead, because they doesn't concern me at all!

How about the fact that no one has aced the DBT for cables after
frequency response has been taken out as a factor? I'm not talking
about the $4K test, but all the cable blind test audiophiles have
taken in their homes and among friends.

That's right, a lot of audiophiles reported that they can tell the difference at home, and
you didn't believe it. So, why do you think when anyone do exactly what you require will
give a correct answer? BTW, why 20? What makes you think 20 tests is good enough? I said
19, or 21, how's that?

Let me know when will the 95% come, perhaps by then, I will also give
up my believe on "speaker cable makes the difference", but before
that, 0.1% of doubt will not affect me or the other 99.9% audiophiles
in the world.

What is your evidence that 99.9% of the audiophiles have a cable
theory that says that cables are significant different in sound? I
noticed that I have asked you several times, and you never answered.

I didn't say 99.9% of the audiophiles have a cable theory..., read carefully, please!

All I am saying is there is no number or very little data to support the claim. Well, now
I know that the test hasn't even been done by anyone, including yourself.

Lawernce Leung

Harry Lavo wrote:

Because the current dbt's seem to work best on picking up simple differences
in volume, frequency respond, and unmusical distortion. Nobody hears
differences in depth or width of soundstage, differences in timbrel
accuracy, especially with dynamic music, etc. These are things that at the
top levels of audio are audible and do make a difference.

Of course people in blind tests hear differences in depth of soundstage, etc.
Where on earth did you come up with that they don't? What you don't seem to
understand is that such 'simple' differences can cause them. If a
difference is noted, and it correlates with a technical measurement to a valid
statistical level, the technical difference most likely caused it. That doesn't
mean that there isn't something else causing it, but in the absence of
evidence otherwise, the conclusion is unmistakable, unless the study is
deliberately designed to be irrational.

(snip)

Perhaps we have a misunderstanding. I am using open-ended here to mean that
you do not know *what* you are listening for, simply trying to evaluate what
sounds "most real" or "most right" to you. Then burrowing down from there
to trying to analyze why, and then if possible even to more specifics.

How do you think musicians learn to play, compose, improvise, etc? They learn
what to listen for. They use TECHNIQUES so they can KNOW what they are
hearing, imagining, emotions they want to convey, etc. Using your reasoning
here, what they do is not 'real' or 'not right to them' because they (if they
are at least decent musicians) KNOW what they are listening for and what they
want. Same with instrument builders? Are you saying that high end component
designers don't (and shouldn't) know what they are listening for and that good
musicians shouldn't either?

RBernst929

Mr. Pinkerton, im am not "strutting" in suggesting the test take place in my
system. This is a fair field for evaluation and i see NO reason why i should
put up any money to prove YOUR theory. The idea for the test is yours and the
apparent need for "proof" is yours. Furthermore, my beef is with your dogmatic
belief that i cannot detect any differences in wires. Well, what proof do YOU
provide that i cant? I dont mean other types of studies you tout but a study
that I, ME, cannot hear differences in wire in my system? In addition, i can
spell "intelligence" just fine. It is a pity you cannot refrain from making
gratuitous disparaging comments to fellow audiophiles. Perhaps one day you
will make a mistake? -Bob Bernstein.

Nousaine

"L Mirabel" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
newsN5Nb.47664$5V2.65531@attbi_s53...

See his text below:
As usual you make a serious, reasoned contribution. You
make carping a challenge but that's what challenges are for.
Once again you show that under "bias controlled"
conditions the differences between any and all hi-fi components disappear.

Nope I've never said that. I said differences that were NOT supported by known
audibility mechanisms above the known thresholds of human sensitivity. I've
never said "any and all" nor have I tested "any and all."

That is not new. We already know that listening for
experiment results in null-negative responses from the majority of the
panel. What is missing are the examples of when and for what your testing
has given a positive outcome.

Check out pcabx for examples of that. But, why would I even bother to test this
for speakers where I already know differences lay above threshold and I can't
physically put speakers in the same location simultaneously. But, I will grant
that Toole's work illustrates that reported differences in loudspeakers are
lessened
when the subjects are deprived of visual stimulation.

It IS true that blind testing is a desireable condition for ALL evaluation and
that I WOULD use it routinely for loudspeakers if it were practical.

If you'll supply the building and the switch-apparatus (ala Toole) I WILL use
that for loudspeaker evaluation.

Till your tests give * some* positive outcomes the two
possibilities remain: 1) everything you tested indeed sounds the same or 2)
the nature of your test stops people from hearing differences.

You are supposing that human thresholds have of physical acoustical differences
have not been corroborated or that the ABX protocol hasn't been validated
relative to them. See pcabx.

You might say that if there are "real", measurable
differences the differences will be heard. How about this? You recently
wrote an excellent and useful review of subwoofers. They differed
measurably All you need to do is to show that a randomly selected panel
using a "bias controlled" method (to be defined more rigorously, please)
*heard* the differences you measured.
Ludovic Mirabel

Sure. You agree to pay the subjects; of which you will be one, and let's do
that.

chris

Default its Exactly the same

"normanstrong" wrote in message

It's always dangerous to correct someone in public. Nevertheless, I
should point out that 16 out of 20 is not the same as 4 out of 5,

for
statistical purposes. Not even close!

Norm Strong

I'm sorry Norm it is EXACTLY the SAME.
the proportional chances of right or wrong answers are the same.
16/20 is the same ratio as 4/5
Just ask any Turf Accountant. He would been seen dead writing 16/20
on his board.

Nousaine

(Audio Guy) wrote:

n article gi4Nb.55157$8H.104911@attbi_s03,
"Harry Lavo" writes:

...snips to specific content.....

Thank you for remembering. However, you don't quite remember accurately.
The control test I proposed is similar to the Oohashi et al test in that it
is evaluative over a range of qualitative factors, done in a relaxed state
and environment, and with repeated hearing of full musical excerpts. But

it
is not a duplicate of the test. The arguments for such tests have been
made here for years..long before the Oohashi article was published.

Let's remember that the Oohashi "article" was not "published" in a
peer-reviewed journal but exists as an AES Convention Preprint like my AES
Preprints. Therefore they carry exactly the same weight as anything I've
presented at a Convention, AES Chapter Presentation or in a consumer audio
magazine.

He and
his researchers apparently reached the same conclusion...that it was a more
effective way of testing for the purposes under study...which were
semi-open-ended evaluations of the musical reproduction. Double blind, by
the way, as was my proposed test.

As long as it's double blind I have no problems with it, but I have
yet to see you propose any reason for rejecting the current DBTs
except that they don't agree with your sighted results.

.

Again you are joining Stewart in repeating an (at best) half-truth ad
nauseum here. Those firms use DBT's for specific purposes to listen for
specific things that they "train" their listeners to hear. That is

called
"development".

Some of the blind tests I've conducted were testing the ability of self-trained
listeners to identify 'differences' that had been described as "pretty amazing"
by the subject using the very reference system and the programs that he had
claimed illustrated these differences clearly.

One in particular used as long as 5 weeks in-situ training using the actual
test apparatus and others have used the reference system of the claimants.

In the food industry we used such tests for color, for
texture and "mouth feel", for saltiness and other flavor

characteristics.
That is a far cry from a final, open-ended evaluation whereby when you

start
you have simply a new component and are not sure what you are looking

for /
simply listening and trying to determine if / how the new component

sounds
vs. the old. It is called "open ended" testing for a reason...

Sure but one can do such a test without sound and still get usable results for
marketing purposes.

I'm not interested in how the sound "feels in the mouth" unless that feel is
soley related to sound quality. If we wish to limit the assessment to sound
alone then bias-mechanisms are needed AND closely spaced presentations are the
most sensitive.

Yes, because it never ends, and so never gets to a result.

This is just retoric and is absolute nonesense! :-(

How so, if it is open-ended it seems by definition to not have an end.
How do you tell when it has reached the end, when it gets the results
you want?

To move off-topic for a moment I will say that most open sound quality
evaluations I've seen tend to do exactly that. Generally the 'evaluation'
starts with a presentation (salesman, conventioneer, audiophile, etc) after
which the presenter asks "whaddya think?" This is followed by some discussion
in which only a few present engage. Often they will report different "things."
Then the presenter will say "Let's try again with BETTER material" and the
process will continue, often with considerable 'negotiation' of differences,
until there is a trial where the 'right' answers are given and then the session
is over. Sometimes there will be continued program delivery and some
hand-waving and back-slapping. But, I've seen the script played time and again.

could reason to believe that conventional dbt or abx testing is not the

best
way to do it and may mask certain important factors that may be more
apparent in more relaxed listening.

There's been no evidence that this is true, other than the non-published
Oohashi test.

Not that this isn't an interesting theorem. But, there's no replicated evidence
to support it. On the other hand, ABX and other blind testing has quite an
interesting set of data on testing audible quotient of products that fit within
the known limits of human acoustical thresholds.

Mr Lavo seems to be arguing that some kind of 'test' that requires lengthy
evaluation under "open-ended" conditions would somehow be more suitable for the
average enthusiast. My guess is that no one except a few who may own a store
would have such an opportunity and that a week-end or overnight ABX test
(perhaps with the QSC $600 ABX Comparitor) or other bias controlled test is not
only more practical but quite implementable for the truly curious.

And again, your only defense is that DBT results don't agree with
your opinions. DBTs can and have been done over long periods with
relaxed listening, and the results are the same.

On Tom's say so and without any detailed description or published data.

Actually that has been published in Audio and The $ensible Sound. You may can
also trace data to the SMWTMS site through
www.pcabx.com

I'm
talking about a rigorous, scientific test of dbt, control proto-mondadic,
and sighted open ended testing. With careful sample selection, proctoring,
statistical analysis, and peer-reviewed publication. Once that is done I
will be happy to accept what conclusions emerge. It hasn't been done, and
so *assertiosn* that comparative dbt's such as abx are appropriate is just
that, an assertion.

As is hte hypothesis that this test will have some useful benefit. And I think
this poster is right; this test would be rejected if it failed to support that
theory.

It's much more than an assertion, it has data to back it up, unlike
your assertions that audio DBTs are just "assertions".

The issue isn't so much the blind vs
sighted as it is the comparative vs. the evaluative....and while a

double
blind evaluative test (such as the proto-monadic "control test" I

outlined)
may be the ideal, it is so difficult to do that it is simply not

practical
for home listeners treating it as a hobby to undertake. So as

audiophiles
not convinced of the validity of convention dbt's for open-ended

evaluation,
we turn to the process of more open ended evaluative testing as a better

bet
despite possible sighted bias.

IOW he's willing to accept the increased (actually the nearly universal)
probablity of false positives as being less important than limiting the results
to sound quality alone.

Sounds like he's a marketeer, doesn't it

Mkuller

(Audio Guy) wrote:
You still have yet to show why audio DBTs as typically practiced are
not valid tests. What is it that makes you so sure that they aren't?
It still boils down to "their results don't agree with (my) sighted
evaluations". If this is not true, please explain.

Ok, let's put aside the "DBTs don't agree with my sighted results" for a
moment. This is a question for all of those advocating DBTs for audio
equipment comparisons -

"How do you know DBTs work - i.e. do not get in the way of identifying subtle
audible differences - when they are used for audio equipment comparisons using
music?" After all, most all of the published results we've seen are null.

If your only answer is that you *believe* they work here because they are used
(differently) in research or psychometrics, that is not good enough. Your
belief in DBTs would seem to be based on a 'belief system' rather than actual
evidence. Right?

If your answer is that you believe in science and DBTs are scientific, that
also is not sufficient. Where is your verifying test, or scientific proof that
they work in the way you are advocating their use?

Not who else uses them or who elses believes they work, but *proof* that they
work here in this area and don't obscure subtle details, or any information for
that matter.

Don't have any verifying test or proof but you still believe? That's fine.
Believe what you want. Just don't try to convince anyone else on such flimsy
grounds. Give it up. Your arguements are not convincing any on the other side
- any more than ours are convincing you.
Regards,
Mike

chung

Lawrence Leung wrote:

chung wrote in news:NEgNb.67259$na.39785@attbi_s04:

I seem to receive more and more ads in email about patches or pill
that would elongate a certain part of my anatomy. According to your
logic, those must really work.

Strictly speaking, those claim works on certain circumstance but not everyone will have
the same effect.

Wow, you and I have such different concepts of reality that it is fairly
difficult for us to objectively debate anymore...

Just out of curiosity, on what circumstances do these pills or patches work?

What are the effects of the patch?

They are not lying, striclty speaking, when they say their cable is
superior, since they know that it is in the mind of the listener like
yourself. If they were to provide evidence, either measurements or
DBT's, that the cable does sound more accurate, then perhaps someone
can go after them if those evidence turns out to be false. Have you
seen measurements or other test results given out by cable companies?

Yes, I have. A lot of cable companies gave out their L, C, and Q value from their speaker
cables and interconnect.

A "Q" value for cables and interconnects?

Yet, when you use those provided values, and calculate what effect it
has on sound, you come up with the same answer: No Detectible Difference!

I compare those values with the Home Depot zip-cord, they are far
higher than the "special" speaker cables. Then, how can you say "wire is wire", "they have
no difference", all you need to have is a simple LCR meter.

If only people can only agree on what "confirmed true" means...

That mean NO!?

That means there will be believers who will never agree about the
validity of any scientific testing applied to cables, whether DBT's or
measurements.

I put in money in the pot, because I would like to see someone like
you with a strong belief in a cable's audibility to take the test and
either fail, or provide new evidence that there is something about
cable sound. BTW, it seems like no matter whether the pot is $4K or
$8K, no one really wants to step up. What does that tell you? Here is
a chance for tbe cable believers to really shut the engineers up.
Think about the glory, if not the money.

Wait a second, you said thousand of people took the test before, and now you said "no one
really wants to step up"?

Please read carefully, I said many have tried blind testing at home to
convince themselves that cables don't make any difference in their
system. No one has stepped up to the $4K cable challenge test.

Which statement is true? If you set up a test, with significant
amount of money award, and not even one show up for the test, does it mean that something
wrong with the test? BTW, by saying "no one really wants to step up", that will include
you and Pinky and your troops?

Think about it another way. Has any big research lab, university,
government office, etc. confirmed that Elvis is dead?

No, because a lot of people seen his burial, offical already confirmed he is dead.

Well, maybe those in universities and labs have already figured out the
effects of cables on sound (such as bass), and knew that it couldn't
possibly make any difference?

Huh? If you cannot hear the difference between two cables, aren't they
sonically the same? Or are you referring to other properties of the
cable such as looks, price, etc.?

See above. If you cannot hear the difference between two cables, they are sonically the
same to you, cannot apply to anyone else.

How about to you? If you cannot hear the difference between two cables,
are they the same to you?

Those who buy expensive cables, maybe a few thousand, or maybe a
little above 10K? Those who listen to music, hundreds of millions?
What does that ratio tell you? Cable industry is a totally
insignificant industry, and it should be so.

How many people had already taken the test?

A few hundred to a few thousand have probably conducted some kind of
blind test at home. Isn't it interesting that you seldom see reports
of people passing the cable test, after care is taken to ensure that
the test is blind and that level differences have been taken out?

That means nobody took the test whatsoever.

How do you come to that conclusion? Did you read the MaIntosh link I
referred you to earlier?

Your theory is full of holes. The small number of testees simply mean
that people in general are not interested in testing cables. They
either buy the cables according to hype and to their apparent
perception, or are smart enough to realize that cables make such a
small difference that they buy whatever is convenient, be it RS, Home
Depot, or Monster from the Good Guys.

People know that "wire is wire" without needing to have taken the DBT
test. Some can really tell there is no difference in a sighted test,
and some know from phsycial principles that cables just cannot make
the kind of difference you claim.

This is only your assumption, and have no solid number backing it up? Again, it is you and
your troops always demand the proof, then you have to have solid number to back up your
words.

I am beginning to think that there will never be a solid enough number
for you...

Let me give you an analogy. You say Elvis is dead. But how many people
really have seen Elvis dead and buried? Shouldn't we wait till 95% of
all people have seen Elvis's remains before we believe Elvis is dead?

I have no problem believe Elvis is dead, because they doesn't concern me at all!

Same reason why most people do not take cable DBT tests.

How about the fact that no one has aced the DBT for cables after
frequency response has been taken out as a factor? I'm not talking
about the $4K test, but all the cable blind test audiophiles have
taken in their homes and among friends.

That's right, a lot of audiophiles reported that they can tell the difference at home, and
you didn't believe it.

Uhhh, because of well-known effects of expectation bias, and what we
know about the physical principles of how cables work?

For example, if you move your listening position 6 inches, you will
experience a bigger change in bass response than any two nominally
competent cables can give you.

So, why do you think when anyone do exactly what you require will
give a correct answer? BTW, why 20? What makes you think 20 tests is good enough? I said
19, or 21, how's that?

People like to see a 95% confidence. You can of course do more than 20.
If you do less than 20, you need to get a higher percentage right. No,
one out of one does not cut it.

Let me know when will the 95% come, perhaps by then, I will also give
up my believe on "speaker cable makes the difference", but before
that, 0.1% of doubt will not affect me or the other 99.9% audiophiles
in the world.

What is your evidence that 99.9% of the audiophiles have a cable
theory that says that cables are significant different in sound? I
noticed that I have asked you several times, and you never answered.

I didn't say 99.9% of the audiophiles have a cable theory..., read carefully, please!

You said 99.9% of the audiophiles believe speaker cable makes the kind
of difference you think you hear, no? If not, how many audiophiles share
the same cable theory as you?

All I am saying is there is no number or very little data to support the claim. Well, now
I know that the test hasn't even been done by anyone, including yourself.

No one has taken the $4K challenge yet. What does that tell you?

Lawernce Leung

Bob Marcus

Harry Lavo wrote:

If there is one thing that the
Oohashi et al test established (without a doubt, documented in the
article)
is that *music* as opposed to sound triggers an *emotional* response from
the brain that takes 20 secs or so to fully register and be operational.

This is utter hogwash. IF Oohashi proved anything (and that is a huge if),
it is only that ultrahigh frequency noise in combination with music produces
some delayed reaction in the brain.

and others believe that many of the more subtle effects involving
high-end
audio reproduction of music require this component to be present for full
perception.

But, according to Oohashi himself, it is NOT present in any consumer-grade
audio system. So, even if you were right about the weaknesses of standard
DBTs, Oohashi provides no basis for believing that they are insufficient for
comparing consumer audio components.

snip

But you don't think a test showing that proto-monadic evaluation showed
statistically significant differences where simple dbt'ng did not, would
not
get published.

Sure it would, if it happened. But I don't think any perceptual psychologist
would waste his time trying, because a proto-monadic test is so obviously a
terrible way to test for audibility. (It produces too many false negatives
to be a reliable test.) Even Oohashi didn't make that claim for it.

bob

RBernst929

Here is the test. You sit in your own listening room and select a familiar cut
such as "Green Earings" from Steely Dan. After the song finishes you leave the
room and have someone switch cables. You listen again to the same song. Sound
identical? Then you leave the room again and switch to a different set of
cables. Repeat the song. Sound different in any way? The contention is that
if you replace cable after cable from Kimber PBJs to Nordost Valhallas there
must be no detectable difference in the song. It would be as if you had the CD
player on replay. NO differences at all in any of these cables, no matter what
cables or how many or what manufacturer. The sound the comes out of your
speakers is identical regardless. This is Mr. Pinkerton's assertion. My
assertion is that i CAN detect a difference in the sound reaching my ears from
the different cables. The sound of the same song is changed somehow. That is
the only way to interpret cables since no one "hears" a cable, only the sound
that comes out of the speakers. Is the sound of the song changed in any way or
not? I say it is. I think most audiophiles would agree with me. Otherwise,
every cable on planet Earth makes no difference at all. They all produce
identical sound and we are all fools falling for marketing hype. -Bob
Bernstein.

Joseph Oberlander

Lawrence Leung wrote:

I can't help but say a few more things...

Let's assume all you say about "wire is wire", all speaker cables are the
same, there is absolutely no difference among speaker cables as far as
listening concern. So forth and so on...

If it is such an absolute truth, absolute fact, why there are more and
more cable companies in the market?

Because there's gold in them thar hills!

Seriously - marketing and big potential markups. It's no different than
the flim-flam for the Slick-50 and other engine treatments. They hype
and some people believe it.
chung

RBernst929 wrote:
Here is the test. You sit in your own listening room and select a familiar cut
such as "Green Earings" from Steely Dan. After the song finishes you leave the
room and have someone switch cables. You listen again to the same song. Sound
identical? Then you leave the room again and switch to a different set of
cables. Repeat the song. Sound different in any way? The contention is that
if you replace cable after cable from Kimber PBJs to Nordost Valhallas there
must be no detectable difference in the song. It would be as if you had the CD
player on replay. NO differences at all in any of these cables, no matter what
cables or how many or what manufacturer. The sound the comes out of your
speakers is identical regardless.

There is much more difference caused by changes in the exact listening
location, then by changes in cables. So be careful.

This is Mr. Pinkerton's assertion. My
assertion is that i CAN detect a difference in the sound reaching my ears from
the different cables. The sound of the same song is changed somehow. That is
the only way to interpret cables since no one "hears" a cable, only the sound
that comes out of the speakers. Is the sound of the song changed in any way or
not? I say it is.

So you are saying that if I replace the cable, then tell you the cable
has been replaced, you can tell the sound is now different? What's wrong
with this picture?

Now try something a little more challenging. I don't tell you if the
cable has been changed. You tell me which one of two cables is being
played, without looking at the cable.

I think most audiophiles would agree with me.

Unfortunately just having someone agree with you does not mean you are
right.

Otherwise,
every cable on planet Earth makes no difference at all.

No, you can have differences if the cables are really different, like
comparing bell-wire cable vs 12 ga. cable in a long run.

They all produce
identical sound and we are all fools falling for marketing hype.

There are a lot of fools falling for marketing hype.

-Bob
Bernstein.

Bob Marcus

Mkuller wrote:

"How do you know DBTs work - i.e. do not get in the way of identifying
subtle
audible differences - when they are used for audio equipment comparisons
using
music?" After all, most all of the published results we've seen are null.

If your only answer is that you *believe* they work here because they are
used
(differently) in research or psychometrics, that is not good enough.

You make the fallacious assumption that DBTs are used "differently" in
research. They are used in exactly the same way, with exactly the same
methodologies and protocols. They have even been used with music by
researchers. (There are whole academic treatises on hearing and music. Just
how do you think the authors conducted their research?) Those methods have
passed muster in the scientific community. If you want to claim that
comparing consumer audio gear is somehow different, you must not only
explain how it is different, but also provide some evidence that--or at
least a plausible hypothesis for why--this alleged difference would make the
test invalid.

bob

Nousaine

(Mkuller) wrote:

(Audio Guy) wrote:
You still have yet to show why audio DBTs as typically practiced are
not valid tests. What is it that makes you so sure that they aren't?
It still boils down to "their results don't agree with (my) sighted
evaluations". If this is not true, please explain.

Ok, let's put aside the "DBTs don't agree with my sighted results" for a
moment.

Why? Wasn't that the question?

This is a question for all of those advocating DBTs for audio
equipment comparisons -

I'm speaking for myself here. My position is that enthusiasts who are
interested in maximizing sound quality with a give set of resources (time,
energy, money) should consider the RESULTS of already conducted controlled
listening tests to guide decision-making.

Just like buying a car for "handling"; one doesn't need his own skidpad..... he
can get a reasonable estimate of a given vehicle's ability by observing the
results of those who do have a skidpad.

"How do you know DBTs work - i.e. do not get in the way of identifying
subtle
audible differences - when they are used for audio equipment comparisons
using
music?" After all, most all of the published results we've seen are null.

All of the BigFoot investigations have also returned null results. Shoud we
question those results based just on the fact that they were null?

Perhaps they were "null" because there were no real differences to hear.

This line of reasoning is based on the premise that any test that fails to
verify previously un-verified "differences" is somehow wrong. Parapsychologists
use this line of reasoning all the time.

One is expected to ignore ALL contrary evidence simply because it doesn't
confirm existing "wisdom."

If your only answer is that you *believe* they work here because they are
used
(differently) in research or psychometrics, that is not good enough. Your
belief in DBTs would seem to be based on a 'belief system' rather than actual
evidence. Right?

Actually I have conducted experiments that answered ALL the common "complaints"
about bias-controlled listening tests and yet I've never found a single (or
married ) subject who was able to confirm wire/amp/cap differences when
nothing more than an opague cloth was placed over the I/O terminals, even in
their reference systems.

It seems to me that Mr Kuller's Belief System guides his opinions ..... he has
provided nor even postulated any evidence that shows otherwise. ALL the
contrary stuff is wrong.

If your answer is that you believe in science and DBTs are scientific, that
also is not sufficient. Where is your verifying test, or scientific proof
that
they work in the way you are advocating their use?

Where is your evidence that they don't? As mentioned I have personally
conducted experiments that addressed EVERY objection I've ever heard ..... time
(5 to 16 weeks), switching (cable swaps to ABX), reference systems (PERSONAL
systems where sound was said to be clearly audible), trials (individual ranges
from 5 to 25) and everything else I can think of.

Not who else uses them or who elses believes they work, but *proof* that they
work here in this area and don't obscure subtle details, or any information
for
that matter.

So an experiment I conducted where a cable advocate failed to hear "pretty
amazing differences" in the same system he claimed were originally observed
with nothing more than an opague cloth placed over the I/O terminals is not
"proof"; then what would be?

How about another experiment I proctored where an ampliifer advocate claimed to
have easily scored 19/20 in blind tests? In this case the subject in his
personal reference system with his personal selection of program material was
unable to identify his reference device against a 10-year old integrated
ampliifer not ONCE but 2 times over 2 days?

Are you suggesting that this doesn't count? That "I" somehow cowered that
outspoken individual with my "presence?" Please.

Don't have any verifying test or proof but you still believe? That's fine.
Believe what you want. Just don't try to convince anyone else on such flimsy
grounds. Give it up. Your arguements are not convincing any on the other
side
- any more than ours are convincing you.
Regards,
Mike

Mike; you sound like a guy trying hard to convince yourself. Why not try some
blind testing?
S888Wheel

[...]

Well that makes for an easy test if you have a friend who can help. You can
even do it DB. Use two cables that you think sound different. Listen to the
first one then leave the room. Have your friend flip a coin heads he changes
cables tails he doesn't. Then have the friend leave the room. you come back in
and listen. decide if the cables were changed or not. Repeat this 20 times.
have your friend mark every trial as different or the same. You mark every
trial different or the same. both keep track seperately. Of course the cables
must be out of sight.

Gallons of Snake Oil malcolm Audio Opinions 3 February 17th 04 08:41 AM
Some serious cable measurements with interesting results. Bruno Putzeys High End Audio 78 December 19th 03 03:27 AM
cabling explained Midlant Car Audio 8 November 14th 03 03:07 AM
Digital Audio Cable Question(s) Hugh Cowan High End Audio 11 October 8th 03 07:15 PM
science vs. pseudo-science ludovic mirabel High End Audio 91 October 3rd 03 09:56 PM