habibe99

Default gas mileage gimmicks?

I was wondering about any of those gas milage gimmicks that are around teh car
industry. I know the "tornado" fuel savor is a crock of ****, but what about
others. I've seen some things that are magnets that clip on your fuel line,
countless stuff you put in your fuel tank and oil. does anythign at all work,
is it all bogus? anyone find anything that works for them? just wondering, all
I've used are fuel injector cleaner but have never really noticed any increases
in gas mileage or improvement in starting or anything else. thanks
-Slick Nick
Scott Gardner

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 06:28:51 GMT, cyrus wrote:

In article ,
ospam (habibe99) wrote:

I was wondering about any of those gas milage gimmicks that are around teh
car
industry. I know the "tornado" fuel savor is a crock of ****, but what about
others. I've seen some things that are magnets that clip on your fuel line,
countless stuff you put in your fuel tank and oil. does anythign at all work,
is it all bogus? anyone find anything that works for them? just wondering,
all
I've used are fuel injector cleaner but have never really noticed any
increases
in gas mileage or improvement in starting or anything else. thanks
-Slick Nick

like others have mentioned, keep your car tuned up. clean air filter,
correct air pressure for you tires.

fuel injector cleaner isn't the best.. it just passes that clogged up
junk past your fuel filter down to your injectors.

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

I agree about the fuel injector cleaner. Cleaning the injectors isn't
a bad idea in and of itself, but better to do it the right way, by
removing the injectors and spraying pressurized cleaning fluid through
them. That way, you don't have to worry about junk being flushed out
of your fuel filter into the injector nozzles.

In general, none of the additives will make a noticeable difference,
unless there was something significantly wrong in the first place.
For example, if your valves and lifters were really sludged up, you
might notice an improvement in gas mileage after running some Marvel
Mystery Oil in your crankcase for a while, but if your engine is
relatively clean and in a good state of tune, none of the
vortex/magnet/additive products are going to make a difference.
Contrary to popular belief, there's not a lot of chemical energy in
gasoline that goes to waste these days. A quick look at an emissions
test for a well-running engine should convince you of that. It's true
that some engines make more power for a given amount of fuel, or get
better gas mileage while providing a given amount of power, but that
has to do with the inherent design of the engine, rather than anything
you're going to affect by using additives or sticking magnets on the
fuel line.

Scott Gardner

cyrus

ospam (habibe99) wrote:

[...]

Agreed

In general, none of the additives will make a noticeable difference,
unless there was something significantly wrong in the first place.
For example, if your valves and lifters were really sludged up, you
might notice an improvement in gas mileage after running some Marvel
Mystery Oil in your crankcase for a while, but if your engine is
relatively clean and in a good state of tune, none of the
vortex/magnet/additive products are going to make a difference.

Marvel Mystery Oil was recommended to me when i was younger for tired
engines. I used the stuff in our tired go-karts, atv's, and carburetor
engines with success. Less oil burning, better gas mileage etc. Although
i haven't tried it with injected engines. I remember overhearing
something bad about the combination, but i'm not in the know.

Contrary to popular belief, there's not a lot of chemical energy in
gasoline that goes to waste these days. A quick look at an emissions
test for a well-running engine should convince you of that. It's true
that some engines make more power for a given amount of fuel, or get
better gas mileage while providing a given amount of power, but that
has to do with the inherent design of the engine, rather than anything
you're going to affect by using additives or sticking magnets on the
fuel line.

Scott Gardner

--
cyrus

*coughcasaucedoprodigynetcough*

thelizman

sanitarium wrote:
I heard somewhere that running a lighter viscosity oil will reduce engine
drag and increase mileage.

Aaaaah, no. You want your oil to be viscous - to stick to the parts.
Otherwise you could lubricate your car with water. You should always use
the oil recommended for your car, unless it has over 150k miles. Then
you use a slightly heavier weight to maintain hydrodynamic separation
(your engine parts don't actually touch when your engine is running).

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.
sanitarium

I heard somewhere that running a lighter viscosity oil will reduce engine
drag and increase mileage. Never tried it myself though.... Sounds like
there would be a trade off in engine life... piston/cylinder compression
etc...

Garrett

"habibe99" wrote in message
I was wondering about any of those gas milage gimmicks that are around teh

car
industry. I know the "tornado" fuel savor is a crock of ****, but what

about
others. I've seen some things that are magnets that clip on your fuel

line,
countless stuff you put in your fuel tank and oil. does anythign at all

work,
is it all bogus? anyone find anything that works for them? just wondering,

all
I've used are fuel injector cleaner but have never really noticed any

increases
in gas mileage or improvement in starting or anything else. thanks
-Slick Nick

Scott Gardner

On Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:53:24 -0500, thelizman
wrote:

sanitarium wrote:
I heard somewhere that running a lighter viscosity oil will reduce engine
drag and increase mileage.

Aaaaah, no. You want your oil to be viscous - to stick to the parts.
Otherwise you could lubricate your car with water. You should always use
the oil recommended for your car, unless it has over 150k miles. Then
you use a slightly heavier weight to maintain hydrodynamic separation
(your engine parts don't actually touch when your engine is running).

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Liz is absolutely right. While there IS horsepower to be gained by
going to a lighter-viscosity oil, it will likely come at the expense
of reduced engine life. And once you start wearing your bearings,
piston rings, and cylinder walls, you're REALLY going to start having
fuel-consumption issues. That doesn't mean that you should
necessarily run 20W-50 year-round, especially if you live in a colder
climate, but don't go lighter than the factory recommends. Running
10W30 during an Arizona summer is no way to pick up a few extra MPG.

On high-power V-8s, drag racers have picked up 30 or 40 horsepower (or
more) by using ultra-light synthetic oil, (like straight 0W), but they
also don't rely on their engines to go more than a few dozen
full-speed passes before being rebuilt. Formula 1 and NASCAR engines
are rebuilt after every race, so a lot of the tricks they use to gain
horsepower aren't really an option for those of us with street-driven
cars.

Scott Gardner

techstar25

True story:
My father used to live in New Jersey when cars need to be inspecte
yearly. He had inherited this old 80's Oldsmobile and took it t
inspection. After the inspection the mechanic says "I'm sorry I can'
pass this vehicle." I can't remember what test it didn't pass. Th
mechanic told him to put in some (concentrated) CHevron Techron an
come back tomorrow. He did and so the next day, they ran the same tes
and the car PASSED the inspection.
I have no idea how or why but that stuff worked
-
techstar2
CarAudioForum.com - Usenet Gateway w/over one million posts online
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...threadid=17977

thelizman

Default Another CAF Moron fails to quote

techstar25 wrote:
True story:

snip

Nobody ****ing cares.

So, when are you people going to clean your acts up?

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

teamROCS Car Audio Forums http://www.teamrocs.com/caraudio/
teamROCS Car Audio News http://www.teamrocs.com/news/
"It's about the music, stupid"

This post is Copyright (C) 2004. Reproduction of its content anywhere
other than usenet without the express written permission of the author
is forbidden.

Scott Gardner

There are some additives that will temporarily mask an emissions
problem, but they don't necessarily make the engine run better or give
better gas mileage. I remember seeing one additive that has a
money-back guarantee if your car doesn't pass the emissions test after
using it. Once the treated gas is used up though, you're most likely
back where you started.

The easiest thing you can do before an emissions test is to change the
oil, and make sure the car is fully up to operating temperature before
you get to the testing center. Being up to normal operating
temperature helps promote a more complete burning of the fuel, and the
fresh oil change ensures that if you are burning a little bit of oil,
it's not old, burnt-hydrocarbon-laden oil.

Scott Gardner

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:46:47 GMT, techstar25
wrote:

True story:
My father used to live in New Jersey when cars need to be inspected
yearly. He had inherited this old 80's Oldsmobile and took it to
inspection. After the inspection the mechanic says "I'm sorry I can't
pass this vehicle." I can't remember what test it didn't pass. The
mechanic told him to put in some (concentrated) CHevron Techron and
come back tomorrow. He did and so the next day, they ran the same test
and the car PASSED the inspection.
I have no idea how or why but that stuff worked.
--
techstar25
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/showthr...hreadid=179777

Scott Gardner

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:06:19 -0500, thelizman
wrote:

techstar25 wrote:
True story:

snip

Nobody ****ing cares.

So, when are you people going to clean your acts up?

--
thelizman "I didn't steal the FAQ either"

Before you ask a question, check the FAQs for this newsgroup at
http://www.mobileaudio.com/rac-faq. It contains over a decade and
a half of knowledge.

So where do you get "over a decade and a half"?

Scott