Jacques More

Default Upgrading to Basic Component System

I am upgrading from a "mini-system" to components, I want to purchase one
component at a time. However, I'm unsure which order I should follow.

I will be getting a very basic component system: receiver, CD player and
speakers.

So should I get better speakers first and connected them to the mini or
should I get a CD player and connect it to the mini with the old speakers,
etc. I don't want to get the receiver first because the receiver has no
output (it does have input).

JM

ScottW

"Jacques More" wrote in message
link.net...
I am upgrading from a "mini-system" to components, I want to purchase one
component at a time. However, I'm unsure which order I should follow.

I will be getting a very basic component system: receiver, CD player and
speakers.

While your mini probably won't be able to credibly drive decent full
range
speakers, I always feel that it makes sense to at least decide on speakers
first. The amp you pick can then be specifically selected for the
speakers.
If you decide amp first, you must get one which can drive any load with
sufficient
power which might lead you to overkill or avoiding a class of amps
which might be ideal for the speakers you eventually choose.

Of the 3 pieces, I think the CD source is the least critical/variable.

So should I get better speakers first and connected them to the mini or
should I get a CD player and connect it to the mini with the old

speakers,
etc. I don't want to get the receiver first because the receiver has no
output (it does have input).

You can use the speaker outputs on the mini if you're careful and don't
overdrive
your amp input.

ScottW