Don Joe

Default need advice upgrading 99 nissan altima system

Hi all.. Just wanted some quick ideas on what might be decent choices for
upgrading my stock system:

Currently I have a 1999 Nissan Altima with a double-sized stock cd/tape
player. One of my front speakers is blown and I wasn't too happy with the
sound before it got blown.

I'm looking to spend maybe 400 bucks to upgrade the speakers and whatever
else would help make the system significantly better. I listen to a lot
of bassy music (techno, drum n bass, etc.) but I really don't want to
shake the neighborhood.

I'm a little confused on what speakers fit my car as crutchfield and
sounddomain seem to give me conflicting "what fits" information, so I'm
not even sure what speakers to preview at a place like Best Buy or CC.

Any advice/tips/suggestions on how I should approach the upgrade is
greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
DJ
Mark Zarella

eBay is your best friend.

Buy a 4 channel amp for about $125. Buy a good pair of front speakers for
about $100. Buy a subwoofer for about $40. Buy or make a sub box for $50
or so. Fuse holder and RCAs from Walmart for about $30 I think. Any
additional wiring you need you can get from Home Depot.

"Don Joe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Don Joe

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. Just curious, but would the 4-channel
amp be powering both the speakers and the sub? I'm really clueless about
car audio so I apologize if these are stupid questions... Also, would I
look for speakers and a sub whose power adds up to that of the amp?

Thanks again,
DJ

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 22:48:33 -0500, Mark Zarella wrote:

eBay is your best friend.

Buy a 4 channel amp for about $125. Buy a good pair of front speakers for
about $100. Buy a subwoofer for about $40. Buy or make a sub box for $50
or so. Fuse holder and RCAs from Walmart for about $30 I think. Any
additional wiring you need you can get from Home Depot.

"Don Joe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Mark Zarella

Thanks for the quick reply, Mark. Just curious, but would the 4-channel
amp be powering both the speakers and the sub?

Yes, two channels will be powering the front speakers. The two remaining
channels will be bridged to one channel to run a single 4 ohm sub. If you
decide to run rear speakers, you can just run them off the head unit.

I'm really clueless about
car audio so I apologize if these are stupid questions... Also, would I
look for speakers and a sub whose power adds up to that of the amp?

Don't worry much about power ratings, especially if you're comparing
equipment from different manufacturers. The ratings are almost arbitrary.
I would do some research in this very newsgroup to see what kind of
equipment people are recommending. It's tempting to try to base your
decision on the numbers, but unfortunately the numbers aren't standardized
so reputation is probably the best method.