Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Geluso Geluso is offline

Default Frequency Response of XM

Can anybody tell me the frequency response of XM broadcasts. It is
general knowledge that the frequency response of FM broadcasts is
basically 30Hz-20KHz. In contrast, despite quite a bit of research,
I have been unable to locate any mention of XM's frequency response
whatsoever.

I would like to know XM's frequency response because I just bought a
Polk XRt12 Home XM Tuner, which is suppose to be one of the best XM
receivers available, yet I am extremely disappointed in its sound
quality. In addition to very poor stereo separation, the music is
completely washed out. Brilliancy is non-existent. The highs are
dull, and the midrange is muted. Even the human voices are muffled.

True, I have heard many negative comments regarding XM's compressed
signal. But I have also heard from numerous sources that XM
delivers near CD-quality sound. It is this significant discrepancy
of opinion that has led me to seek a quantifying answer to XM's
frequency response.

The very poor sound quality that I am getting out of my Polk
receiver puzzles me, because when I had the opportunity to listen to
XM's programming through a DirecTv system, the sound quality was
superb. Does anyone have an explanation for this great difference?

Your answers to these questions will be more than appreciate.

Bill Geluso

Bi-amping the AR-3a cheaply and non-invasively stunning results Jerry High End Audio 64 August 20th 06 03:46 PM
rec.audio.car FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (caution, this is HUGE) MOSFET Car Audio 0 June 18th 06 05:27 AM
It's amazing what you can find when you look. Audio Opinions 76 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Note to Trevor Audio Opinions 9 November 7th 05 08:45 AM