Scott

Default amps- will this work?

I'm debating to see if this type of setup will work. Using a set of B&W 604s
which can be bi-wired. Bass driver one connection and mid and tweeter on
other connection. Running a Conrad Johnson tube 2 channel preamp. Now is it
possible to use a say 60 watt tube amp and run that through one connection
to the mids and tweeters giving the benefit of a tube amp for that range,
and then run a solid state high current amp 60 to 70 watts and run that
strictly to the woofer connection and get the high current solid state
benefit for bass? Or would I be better to just run one type of amp for both
connections? I know tube amps give a really smooth open mid range and highs,
but are bass shy and not great on power output. While a solid state amp will
give that oomph needed for low end, but not be quite as liquid as a tube amp
in the upper range. Any opinions? Not sure on tube amp, but the solid state
I was just thinking of Rotels 70 watt unit. Or should I look at a tube amp
with less power then the bass amp, since the mids and highs don't need as
much power as the lows do?

Uptown Audio

It will work, but may not be the best arrangement. I have done that
several times and with varying results and levels of difficulty
getting it to balance out. Sometimes you just get lucky and it sounds
great, but typically there is a level mismatch and the inputs to one
of the amps has to be limited. This is usually the tube amp regardless
of it's power output. It is not true, however that tube amps are weak
in bass by comparison to solid state. A C-J amp would most likely
prove to be thunderous by comparison to a Rotel in that set-up. I
would recommend a Bryston power amp for all frequencies or better yet,
if you already have a 60 watt tube amp and like it, get a nicer pair
of speakers.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Scott" wrote in message
[...]

Chelvam

"Uptown Audio" wrote in message
It will work, but may not be the best arrangement. I have done that
several times and with varying results and levels of difficulty
getting it to balance out. Sometimes you just get lucky and it sounds
great, but typically there is a level mismatch and the inputs to one
of the amps has to be limited. (rest snipped)

I have a similar idea. Thinking of connecting murata Super tweeters to a
valve amp which is connected to my second RCA output or via Sub out. Do you
think it will work? My main is solid state.

Thanks.

Uptown Audio

Supertweeters shouls be wired in parallel with the main speakers
tweeter via the power amp. Some supertweeters have adjustable x-over
and level settings. See:
http://www.uptownaudio.com/tannoy/st.htm .
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com