Ban

Default Subjectivist and Objectivist -- Are these misnomers?

Michael Scarpitti wrote:
chung wrote in message

'Objective' must
also be 'relevant'.

That's wrong, plain and simple. Besides, who decides the relevancy?
Are you saying that all audio measurements are not relevant?

We cannot be sure which, if any, relate to sonic character...

If you say that you are ignoring years of research done by respectable
scientists.
They found out the importance of an even frequency response, or the
relative
unimportance of the phase response. You can analyze the impulse
response and
determine R60 (reverb factor) of your listening room. In every good
recording studio the monitors are calibrated to get reproducable
results, as
are the room treatment etc.
How do you think are judged intelligibility in a church or a stadium?
What is missing is that many HiFi-freaks are using these results and
incorporating them into their setup. This might be because most of them
do
not have the education or ability to interpret the findings.
What I noticed is that active speaker builders here in this NG tend to
take
the "objectivist" view, whereas the average consumer would start in the
subjectiv corner.
I myself have developed a much stronger viewpoint reading the debates
here.
It is my own experience when I say that the frequency response plot
really
gives a very good objective instrument to reach a balanced sound
reproduction. I'm also working a lot with simulation using Akabak
software,
a phantastic programm tho difficult to operate. It helps me understand
and
predict almost all acoustical problems and saves a lot of experimental
work.
This and similar programs have given a real quality boost to
loudspeakers in
the past 20yrs.

When I developed my phantastic "Pupazzo"-speakers
http://www.pupazzo.page.ms/ , I first simulated for almost two years and
started only with the enclosures after getting satisfying results. Then
when
for the first time I connected everything together, I was positivly
surprised about the sound, which with field measurements could be
improved
even more.
I invite all friends here to contact me if they come to the Côte
d'Azur, so
this unique system can be heard and evaluated by subjectivists and
objectivists alike. I will appreciate it.
--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy