Brett

Default Problem linking 2 pre-amps together!

Hi group. I am desperately hoping someone can help!

I am trying to integrate an AV processor/three channel amp (Arcam
Xeta2) with my existing 2-channel Linn pre and power combination. The
Xeta2 basically acts as a pre-amp for the mains (and thus requires a
separate power amp) but has 3 separate amplifiers for the centre and
rears. It was designed to provide multi-channel sound to an existing
2-channel system.

I want to keep my existing Linn pre and power combo for CD listening,
but have VCR and DVD plugged into the Xeta. However I do not want to
have to swap interconnects at the back of my power amp, between the
Linn pre-amp and the Xeta, everytime I want to change between from a
CD to a DVD. So here goes.....

As the Xeta2 manual suggests, I should be able to run a pair of
interconnects from the Xeta2 'Main Out' to a line input (ie 'Aux' or
'Tape in') in my Linn pre-amp. However, I get so signal whatsoever
sent to the main speakers from any source connected to the Xeta2
(whether it be from DVD, another CD or VCR). I DO hear sound from the
centre and rears as expected when playing from surround sound sources.

I know there is no problem with the 'Main Out' from the Xeta2, because
if I run a pair of interconnects directly from the Xeta2 'Main Front'
outs to the 'Line Input' of the Linn power-amp, everything works as it
should!

So....in summary......

Can you think of any reason why the Xeta2 CAN be connected directly to
any power-amp, but CANNOT be connected via another pre-amp??

earthing problems?
weird phase issues?
gain issues?

I'm at a complete loss and would be truly greatful if
you could apply your collective expertise to this problem!

Regards

Brett