Harry Lavo

Default Interview with Tom Jung of DMP in latest Stereophile

The June issue of Stereophile contains an interview with Tom Jung of DMP.
He was a founder/co-owner of Sound 80 in Minneapolis who were the first to
use the prototype 3M digital multitrack, and he was one of the original SACD
producers and was instrumental in Ed Meitner developing his converters (to
overcome SONY's poorly designed analog).

What is interesting to me is that Tom was an early digital enthusiast for
many of the reasons exposed here - silent backgrounds, S/N ratio, lack of
wow and flutter on piano, etc. But as he worked with it over the years he
became more and more disenchanted. He took to DSD for its "analog
qualities" combined with digital convenience.

Whether you find his POV's agreeable or disagreeable, it's an interesting
read.

Harry Lavo
"It don't mean a thing if it aint got that swing" - Duke Ellington

andy

Whether you find his POV's agreeable or disagreeable, it's an interesting
read.

Agree: what disappointed me is that he talks about PCM flaws just for
the 44.1 KHz red-book sampling. He says that a major issue is the post
DAC filter, which is steep and critical to implment. He never
mentioned DVD-A with 96 KHz - and more - sample frequency, making the
filter design less critical. He never compares DVD-A against SACD. He
did not talk about upsampling as well ... I had a strong perception of
a strong bias in favor of SACD ...