BEAR

Default Dope/Goop for Voice Coil repair??

Please respond via email as well as the group if you have an answer...

I have a compression driver VC that has about 2mm of the *lead in* flat
copper wire *on the VC former* that has obviously lifted due to *heat*.
It is intact and not toasted. I was able to make it flush with a flat
tweezers.

When lifted, it was probably producing a rub in the gap on some
excursions
(no real sign of wear, but it was tough centering the vc in the gap
with it
sticking up, which is how I found it using an eye loupe)... enough
story.

What I need is a goop/dope that will stand up to high temp, like the
original
(or better) to lightly coat this little 2-3mm section of conductor and
hopefully
hold it permanently in place (I won't be over driving these anyway, so
it
won't get as hot as it probably did in SR application).

The questions:
- who supplies the vc winders, and what do they use?
- is there an off-the-shelf item that would work? (even from Loctite
or
similar companies)
- what sort of stuff is current state-of-the-art, what was used 20
yrs ago?

I have access to almost any supplier, but I'm not sure what is out
there,
who makes it, and which companies are making the stuff.

Please don't suggest 5-min epoxy, crazy glue or anything like that -
those
things won't stand up to even moderate temps...

This is a diaphragm that is no longer made, so doing a proper repair is
worth
the time and effort to acquire the right materials and do it right.

(I can UV cure and/or bake, if need be...)

TIA,

_-_-bear

Please REPLY TO:
Wylie Williams

You need to contact a professional speaker reconer to get materials that are
made for your specific need. There are many on the internet; all you have
to do is find one who is interested in selling materials to a DIY person.

Wylie Williams
The Speaker and Stereo Store