Default Suggestions for a 5k output transformer/ SV811-3

Hi-
Any suggestions for iron to use with a SV811-3?
I'm in the States, and Hammond's 1628SE look like my fall-back option.

I have also read claims on at least 2 websites whilst looking for 5k
outties, that Hammond transformers are not known for their extension,
but rather bass response. On one web page they stated that "UBT" were
"sweeter" (at half the weight - not that this factors into high
frequency extension) Any takers?

thanks for any advice,
KC

I appreciate your reply. The transformers you mention are as follows:
(I contacted Plitron, Canada)

"We have our part number PAT-HQ5090 correspondence to the following
part. The unit price is $611.00US. Lead time is 4 weeks"

which is too rich for my blood.

I am going to use James transformers which I acquired (in trade for
some work I did) at:
6135HS,
http://euphoniaaudio.netfirms.com/ea...0866fb75fefe9a

thanks to all those that post advice on RAT, pyros aside
KC

On 23 Apr 2005 06:22:32 -0700, "
wrotf:

wrote:

Hi-
Any suggestions for iron to use with a SV811-3?
I'm in the States, and Hammond's 1628SE look like my fall-back

option.

I have also read claims on at least 2 websites whilst looking for 5k
outties, that Hammond transformers are not known for their extension,
but rather bass response. On one web page they stated that "UBT"

were
"sweeter" (at half the weight - not that this factors into high
frequency extension) Any takers?

thanks for any advice,
KC

Yo, mon,

For my "Millennial Edge" I had Menno van der Veen design the
transformers, power and output. The "Millennial Edge" is a "Universal"
SE/PSE 20-75W amplifier for Svetlana SV572-xx, similar in some crucial
parameters to SV811-3

Here are brief details of the output and power transformers:

Wide Bandwidth Low Loss Toroidal Single Ended OutputTransformer Type
No VDV-JUTE-HQ5090 (Amplimo)Designed by Menno van der Veen, ir. Buro
Vanderveen

Pri Z 5.014Kohm
Secondaries 2, 4, 8 ohm (winding ratios 50.069, 35.415, 25. 034)
Nominal power 90W (at half saturation current, 190mA)
Saturation current 379mA
Primary Inductance 31.8H
Full power bandwidth starting at 28Hz -1dB
Frequency range 16 Hz--23kHz (-1dB)
HF extension 44kHz (-3dB)
Insertion loss 0.152--0.225dB depending on secondary connection
Primary leakage inductance 28mH
Effective primary capacitance 0.44nF
*Size approx 7in diameter by 4in high (very roughly measured!)
*Weight approx 9kg or say 20lbs
Connections by insulated flying solid core extensions of windings (no
solder joints) with tinned ends
Packaged in heavy gauge drawn ali case, matte black finish

*These items are not off the preliminary spec sheet, which is out of
the designer's lab rather than from the manufacturer, but my own
measurements.

SV572 reach max dissipation of 125W, with 210mA and 1000V as the other
maximum parameters. I wanted to get max A1 power when using the SV572-3
and SV572-10 before they go into A2, which requires high voltages. The
primaries of the outputs are specced to be used at least up to a 1000V.

The key application is PSE Svetlana SV572-30, (Rp for a parallel pair
2.3Kohm) at around 100mA per anode but the transformer also works with
single tubes of the SV572 family. Various pri Z are achieved by
switching the secondary connections to reflect different impedances on
the primaries. (I also intend one day building a 212-E SE amp on this
tranny.)

The power supply has individual windings for power, driver and input
tubes, and more windings for multiple individual fixed bias supplies to
these tubes (we want deep bass!), plus of course filament windings. It
offers maximum flexibility so as to be useful for other projects as
well (like the 212-E above), and it is plenty beefy because a hefty SE
amp like the Millennial Edge just naturally ends up driving
current-hungry panels. Naturally I went to Menno for the power supply
as well:

Multi-Purpose Mains Power TransformerTransformer Type No 6632-X0-00
(Plitron)Designed by Menno van der Veen, ir. Buro Vanderveen

Primary (international use) 2 x 120 V
RF Shield Yes
Low Noise NC-15 Design Yes
Cased in heavy gauge drawn ali case, matte black finish, foam base,
neoprene mounting ring, single bolt fixing
Connections by insulated colour coded flying leads
Size approx 7.5in diameter by 5in high
Weight approx 12kg

Sec.1 after rectifying
1050 V / 0 mA
1000 V / 200 mA
950 V / 400 mA
800 V tap Yes
Centre tap No

Sec.2 after rectifying
520 V / 0 mA
480 V / 150 mA
Centre tap No

Sec.3 after rectifying
0/70/140/275 V at 0 mA
0/65/130/250 V at 150 mA

Sec.4 Filament, after rectifying
7.0 V / 0 A
6.3 V / 4 A
Centre tap Yes

Sec.5
as Sec.4

Sec.6 Filament, drivers + rectifier
7.0 V / 0 A
6.3 V / 4A
Centre tap No

My prototypes were designed by Menno van der Veen with the output
transformer prototypes wound by Amplimo and the mains transformer
prototypes wound by Plitron, both of whom manufacture Menno's famous
mainstream designs.

I was told that Plitron in Canada and Amplimo in The Netherlands would
catalogue both designs:
http://www.plitron.com/
http://www.amplimo.nl/

HTH.

Andre Jute

If 611 bucks US is all that Plitron charges for the versatile
high-power PAT-HQ5090, essentially a custom transformer, a huge thing
of superior design and craftsmanship, about eight inches in diameter,
very beautifully presented in a drawn ali case anodized black, that
goes a long way to explaining why nobody gets rich winding transformers
for the audio market. -- Andre Jute