Default R-Core Audio OPT

RX-40-5
Push-Pull 5,000 ohms 40W type
Audio Output Transformer

The right on the photo is the R core output transformer in bare
condition. The product is enclosed in the square case on the left.
RX-40-5 is R core audio output transformer for push-pull type
amplifier. Excellent magnetic properties of R core as well as precisely
wound construction of the coil by the computerized manufacturing system
achieve the wide bandwidth, low distortion, and low magnetic loss of
the transformer.
What is R core Output Transformer?

R core power transformers are now increasingly introduced for the
high-end HiFi components because of its excellent technical advantages.
R core is of non-cut construction and has excellent magnetic
properties. The magnetic core used for audio output transformer has
evolved from EI core, cut core, and to toroidal core achieving
successful results to improve the performance of the transformer. R
core has several advantages over toroidal core that has been evaluated
as the best. In fact, R core enables further technical improvements of
the audio output transformer. We have designed this R core audio output
transformer and carried out the performance tests for final product.
The product packaging is made by Kitamura Kiden Co., Ltd., an
originator of the R core transformer.
Outline

* Power handling capacity 40W, primary impedance 5,000 ohms,
equipped with ultra-linear taps, the best match for push-pull tube
amplifier using 6CA7/EL34, 6L6, KT66, 2A3, 300B, etc.
* The combination of high performance core and generous turns of
coil winding assures high primary inductance presenting good sound
quality such as solidness of mid and low range.
* Precisely wound coil has no peculiar peaks and dips in
attenuation characteristic and excellent response at high frequency, so
enabling stable NFB operation and transparent sound quality.
* Perfect balance coil design realizes the low distortion factor
even with non-NFB amplifier.
* Enclosed in a handy and beautiful square case. The same mounting
dimensions as those of Tango FX-40.

Specifications

Phil Allison

[...]

** Is there a question here??

................ Phil

Patrick Turner

Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

The post was cross posted to r.a.o and r.a.t.

This reply is to r.a.t only.

The post above is sales talk for an R core output tranny.

I am not sure how they are made but from the picture at
http://www.icl.co.jp/audio/english/RX40.htm
is seems the core is a spiral of magnetic material, probably GOSS
with a high µ although perhaps the non oriented plain silicon
content steel would be fine, since too high a µ can result in easy
DC saturation with DC bias imbalances in the hlf primary windings in a
PP amp, similar to what happens with toroidal strip wound GOSS cores.

Don't ask me how they get the windings on, but
I'd say the bobbins are in halves, and taped around the core,
then rotated by special machine to draw the wire on to get a twin winding
rather like Lundahl's use of C-cores.

There are no details of the saturation performance,
winding arrangements, interleaving an insulation details,
so perhaps this tranny isn't as good as the graphs and info supplied suggest.

The core cross section size looks quite puny for a 40 watts OPT.
Nobody can check out the validity of the design because like so many makers
they
don't come clean with the nitty gritty details, all able to be expressed in a
short paragraph
similar to as used to describe the Williamson tranny of 1947 in RDH4.

R-cores convey no special advantages over most other designs,
except cheap construction in a mass production situation,
and I wish the makers of this tranny the best of luck.

I also wish they would actually tell us what they are really doing.
In the meantime while I wait for the info I'd be interested to see and to
discuss,
and which has been non forth coming for years now, I will never buy their
product, but
continue to wind my own.

Patrick Turner.

Phil Allison

"Steve Dolan"
http://www.icl.co.jp/audio/english/RX40.htm

** Nice tranny - nice price.

The only issue is the need for close tube idle current matching ( 5mA)

Better have external test points and an accessible trim.

.............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Patrick Turner"

Phil Allison wrote:

* Power handling capacity 40W, primary impedance 5,000 ohms,
equipped with ultra-linear taps, the best match for push-pull tube
amplifier using 6CA7/EL34, 6L6, KT66, 2A3, 300B, etc.
* The combination of high performance core and generous turns of
coil winding assures high primary inductance presenting good sound
quality such as solidness of mid and low range.
* Precisely wound coil has no peculiar peaks and dips in
attenuation characteristic and excellent response at high frequency, so
enabling stable NFB operation and transparent sound quality.
* Perfect balance coil design realizes the low distortion factor
even with non-NFB amplifier.
* Enclosed in a handy and beautiful square case. The same mounting
dimensions as those of Tango FX-40.

There are no details of the saturation performance,

** WRONG - the graphs show it as 400 volts rms at 50 Hz.

This translates into 40 watts at 40 Hz in the printed info.

R-cores convey no special advantages over most other designs,

** WRONG - the Turneroid criminal just lies and lies and lies.

An R-core combines the ultra low I mag advantage of the toroidal with the
insulation and simple winding advantages of using bobbins.

except cheap construction in a mass production situation,
and I wish the makers of this tranny the best of luck.

** Go rot in hell - you pathetic arsehole.

I also wish they would actually tell us what they are really doing.

** The specs are quite comprehensive.

I will never buy their
product, but continue to wind my own.

** The Turneroid turd can suck his own cock , too.

.............. Phil

Patrick Turner

Phil Allison wrote:

"Patrick Turner"

Phil Allison wrote:

* Power handling capacity 40W, primary impedance 5,000 ohms,
equipped with ultra-linear taps, the best match for push-pull tube
amplifier using 6CA7/EL34, 6L6, KT66, 2A3, 300B, etc.
* The combination of high performance core and generous turns of
coil winding assures high primary inductance presenting good sound
quality such as solidness of mid and low range.
* Precisely wound coil has no peculiar peaks and dips in
attenuation characteristic and excellent response at high frequency, so
enabling stable NFB operation and transparent sound quality.
* Perfect balance coil design realizes the low distortion factor
even with non-NFB amplifier.
* Enclosed in a handy and beautiful square case. The same mounting
dimensions as those of Tango FX-40.

There are no details of the saturation performance,

** WRONG - the graphs show it as 400 volts rms at 50 Hz.

But it may not do 400vrms at 16 Hz which is how i like to design my own.

Who's wrong now smarty?

This translates into 40 watts at 40 Hz in the printed info.

R-cores convey no special advantages over most other designs,

** WRONG - the Turneroid criminal just lies and lies and lies.

Huh? You obviously don't wind anything, or know anything
about many other designs out there.

You are the one who is lying.

An R-core combines the ultra low I mag advantage of the toroidal with the
insulation and simple winding advantages of using bobbins.

except cheap construction in a mass production situation,
and I wish the makers of this tranny the best of luck.

delete demon utterance...

But its true Phil, this design only suits those with mass production
facilities and acces to Rcore making jigs et all and the special windinging
machines.
They churn 'em out cheaply.

I also wish they would actually tell us what they are really doing.

** The specs are quite comprehensive.

There are no details of the winding layout, thickness of insulation,
interleavings, and wire guage and turn numbers, weight,
core material details, dimensions etc, etc..
All that is part of a real specification.
The claims made by the maker are mildly impressive, but
it takes more than claims to convince me of anything.

I am not a silly gullible unfortunate like yourself.

Delete more obscenities...

Phil suffers from bi-polar syndrome, which is a psychological condition
which disables him from conducting any rational peaceful discussion.
He thinks he's ok and the whole world is wrong when he hasn't taken his
medication,
but we all know he isn't ok at all.

No use protesting Phil, we already know what you might say.

Patrick Turner.

Phil Allison

"Patrick Turner"

** You - you stinking insane, autistic ****.

This translates into 40 watts at 40 Hz in the printed info.

R-cores convey no special advantages over most other designs,

** WRONG - the Turneroid criminal just lies and lies and lies.

Huh?

** The stinking Turneroid criminal just lies and lies and lies his ****ing
head off.

An R-core combines the ultra low I mag advantage of the toroidal with the
insulation and simple winding advantages of using bobbins.

But its true Phil, this design only suits those with mass production
facilities and acces to Rcore making jigs et all and the special
windinging
machines.

** Asinine ****ing crap.

One merely buys the R -Core, fits the two bobbins over its straight limbs
and winds away with the simplest of machinery.

I also wish they would actually tell us what they are really doing.

** The specs are quite comprehensive.

There are no details of the winding layout, thickness of insulation,
interleavings, and wire guage and turn numbers, weight,
core material details, dimensions etc, etc..

** No maker ever has to give all that crap.

Specs are of PERFORMANCE - you asinine ****.

(snip more Turneroid ****e )

Patrick Turner is a vile and autistic sub human.

Criminal scum of the earth.

................ Phil

Patrick Turner

Take you medication Phil, nobody is listening to you.

Phil Allison wrote a heck of a lot of insults which
I will delete without reading....

Phil Allison wrote:
"Patrick Turner"

There are no details of the saturation performance,

** WRONG - the graphs show it as 400 volts rms at 50 Hz.

But it may not do 400vrms at 16 Hz which is how i like to design my own.

Who's wrong now smarty?

delete.

Phil Allison

"Patrick Turner"

Take you medication Phil, nobody is listening to you.

** Take a big dose of rat bait, Turneroid - do the world a favour.

There are no details of the saturation performance,

** WRONG - the graphs show it as 400 volts rms at 50 Hz.

But it may not do 400vrms at 16 Hz which is how i like to design my
own.

Who's wrong now smarty?

** You - you bloody imbecile.

That data you wanted was staring you in the face.

....................... Phil

Yes, but after the vicious attack on Turner, is anyone now prepared to
listen? He likes to wind his own, which is fine, although I do wish
he'd wind the good American kind like Mac, Marantz or Linear Standards,
or even Peerless to **** the nut in Philly off.

Ian Iveson

wrote

Yes, but after the vicious attack on Turner, is anyone now
prepared to
listen? He likes to wind his own, which is fine, although I do
wish
he'd wind the good American kind like Mac, Marantz or Linear
Standards,
or even Peerless to **** the nut in Philly off.

Not vicious, just how he is. He was right to help Patrick find the
data for saturation, although he could do with finding a definition
of saturation better than the one he seems to use. He was also
entitled to point out Patrick's evasive and typically dishonest
squirming.

He was wrong in saying the tranny is good though. A clear statement
of full power bandwidth with the correct load, and some indication
of distortion characteristics at the claimed lower limit would be
helpful. All that stuff about "we tried it with pentodes so triodes
must be better" is suspect and silly if it is intended for triodes.

Also useful would be info about what the core is made of, and what
the leakage and winding capacitances are. Perhaps I missed that?

Perhaps a direct comparison with, say, Plitron?

I think Patrick is quite right to doubt its low-frequency
performance.

Who is the manufacturer, BTW? Are they available direct? No point in
talking to the monkey perhaps.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

wrote

Yes, but after the vicious attack on Turner, is anyone now
prepared to
listen? He likes to wind his own, which is fine, although I do
wish
he'd wind the good American kind like Mac, Marantz or Linear
Standards,
or even Peerless to **** the nut in Philly off.

Not vicious, just how he is. He was right to help Patrick find the
data for saturation, although he could do with finding a definition
of saturation better than the one he seems to use. He was also
entitled to point out Patrick's evasive and typically dishonest
squirming.

You are quick to gather round and plunge a knife in like the the
other jerkoffs.

The address I went to to get the full story about R core OPTs
lacked the items I listed, size, weight,
core type and iron µ, turn count, wire sizes, insulation thickness and
type,
winding layout, layer numbers, interleavings, etc, etc, etc.

Don't let me stop anyone from buying an R-core tranny; be my guest.

But don't swan around here saying there is everything to be known at the

R-core tranny site, to enable someone like me to
do the simple math to see if it could work as claimed.

At my website, i do give a recipe for at least a half decent OPT,
and the full amount of information is there, free, and for anyone to use
to wind,
or to contract anyone else to do it for them.
I also give all the formulas you'll need if you wanna desigh from first
principles

I am the one to have the transparent approach, not this R-core mob.
The graphs look nice, sure, but that's all not enough for me.

This group worships no sacred cows, and if somebody brings to us
something
for sale, then let us analyse, let us be testing, let us be
difficult, and if the hawker has any sense, his briefcase
will be full of convincing answers to all our questions.
With no answers, the hawker is a mere spammer.

He was wrong in saying the tranny is good though.

Good enough for someone, somewhere, who didn't have a clue about OPTs,
which is nearly everyone.

A clear statement
of full power bandwidth with the correct load, and some indication
of distortion characteristics at the claimed lower limit would be
helpful. All that stuff about "we tried it with pentodes so triodes
must be better" is suspect and silly if it is intended for triodes.

Also useful would be info about what the core is made of, and what
the leakage and winding capacitances are. Perhaps I missed that?

Perhaps a direct comparison with, say, Plitron?

I think Patrick is quite right to doubt its low-frequency
performance.

Who is the manufacturer, BTW? Are they available direct? No point in
talking to the monkey perhaps.

cheers, Ian

Unfortunately, we just don't know enough detail
to confirm if the designs has the actual charateristics as claimed.

They are apparently inexpensive, so buying to find out
isn't such a bad option if you have the money.

But how many ppl know how to measure something like this?

Not many. At a few watts out of the claimed 40+ it can make
it probably will sound OK, but how much better/worse
and with triode or pentode we may never know.
But I like OPTs with wide full power bandwidth.

Patrick Turner.

You can certainly build a test bed and see if it makes power into a
dummy load. If you don't have an audio generator, a dummy load, and at
least a simple scope and an accurate AC voltmeter you have no business
buying an audio transformer, wouldn't you agree?

Ian Iveson

Absolutely not.

What then would you use it for, a paperweight perhaps?

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"

Not vicious, just how he is. He was right to help Patrick find the data
for saturation, although he could do with finding a definition of
saturation better than the one he seems to use.

** Same one everybody uses - you asinine pommy pig.

He was also entitled to point out Patrick's evasive and typically
dishonest squirming.

** The Turneroid squirms like a bush dunny full of maggots.

He was wrong in saying the tranny is good though.

** Where ??

Why it is wrong anyhow ??

A clear statement of full power bandwidth with the correct load,

** That is there in the data.

and some indication of distortion characteristics at the claimed lower
limit would be helpful.

** Still as clueless as ever about how a gapless GOSS cores performs.

All that stuff about "we tried it with pentodes so triodes must be better"
is suspect and silly if it is intended for triodes.

** The unit has screen taps - so is meant for ultra-linear operation.

Also useful would be info about what the core is made of,

** Its a wound GOSS core - you imbecile.

and what the leakage and winding capacitances are. Perhaps I missed that?

** The response curves are there for several drive conditions.

Perhaps a direct comparison with, say, Plitron?

** Yawn.

I think Patrick is quite right to doubt its low-frequency performance.

** Why doubt an unspectacular spec???

Just to prove what ****ing arse you are ???

................ Phil

Ian Iveson

"Phil Allison" wrote

Not vicious, just how he is. He was right to help Patrick find
the data for saturation, although he could do with finding a
definition of saturation better than the one he seems to use.

** Same one everybody uses - you asinine pommy pig.

Which is?

He was also entitled to point out Patrick's evasive and typically
dishonest squirming.

** The Turneroid squirms like a bush dunny full of maggots.

He was wrong in saying the tranny is good though.

** Where ??

** Nice tranny - nice price.

The only issue is the need for close tube idle current matching
( 5mA)

There.

Why it is wrong anyhow ??

Not enough info to say it is right.

A clear statement of full power bandwidth with the correct load,

** That is there in the data.

Not really. There is a claim, but no clear statement of criteria.
Several incomplete expressions that don't add up to a coherent
whole.

and some indication of distortion characteristics at the claimed
lower limit would be helpful.

** Still as clueless as ever about how a gapless GOSS cores
performs.

Actually I've been working on a new spice model, and have got it
fairly sorted. Haven't got as far as gaps though. Not certain this
is a GOSS core anyway.

Distortion v frequency at full power would clearly show the approach
to and onset of saturation producing distortion well above the
claimed 40Hz, I believe. And 40Hz is not very low.

All that stuff about "we tried it with pentodes so triodes must be
better" is suspect and silly if it is intended for triodes.

** The unit has screen taps - so is meant for ultra-linear
operation.

None of the test data are with UL connection. Most of the results
are with pentode connection at 25W.

Also useful would be info about what the core is made of,

** Its a wound GOSS core - you imbecile.

I can't find where it says so. It's a clever profile for
strip-wound. Sure its not amorphous? They make a feature of its low
distortion at low voltage.

and what the leakage and winding capacitances are. Perhaps I
missed that?

** The response curves are there for several drive conditions.

I'd rather have the data than a set of simultaneous equations.

Perhaps a direct comparison with, say, Plitron?

** Yawn.

Plitron are a good reference, widely acknowledged quality and
complete performance data.

I think Patrick is quite right to doubt its low-frequency
performance.

** Why doubt an unspectacular spec???

Dunno what you mean. Bass is quite important to me.

Just to prove what ****ing arse you are ???

Actually I've just recovered from a boil up my arse that made
****ing quite painful.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ivan the Terrible"
"Phil Allison"
Not vicious, just how he is. He was right to help Patrick find the data
for saturation, although he could do with finding a definition of
saturation better than the one he seems to use.

** Same one everybody uses - you asinine pommy pig.

Which is?

** Not the absurd and literal one Iveson uses.

He was wrong in saying the tranny is good though.

** Where ??

** Nice tranny - nice price.

The only issue is the need for close tube idle current matching (
5mA)

There.

** Nice is the word I chose and used.

** Silly me for expecting a factual answer from a **** like Iveson.

A clear statement of full power bandwidth with the correct load,

** That is there in the data.

Not really. There is a claim, but no clear statement of criteria.

** Silly me for expecting a factual answer from a **** like Iveson.

and some indication of distortion characteristics at the claimed lower
limit would be helpful.

** Still as clueless as ever about how a gapless GOSS cores performs.

Actually I've been working on a new spice model,

** In between pulling your tiny cock and surfing gay porn sites ????

Distortion v frequency at full power would clearly show the approach to
and onset of saturation producing distortion well above the claimed 40Hz,
I believe.

** Silly me for expecting a factual answer from a **** like Iveson.

** The unit has screen taps - so is meant for ultra-linear operation.

None of the test data are with UL connection.

** Silly me for expecting a factual answer from a **** like Iveson.

Most of the results are with pentode connection at 25W.

** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

** Its a wound GOSS core - you imbecile.

I can't find where it says so.

** All commercial toroidal and R-cores are wound with GOSS

It's a clever profile for strip-wound. Sure its not amorphous?

** GOSS R-cores have been commercially available for 20 years.

Not something a brain dead pommy **** with his head up his anus would know.

** The response curves are there for several drive conditions.

I'd rather have the data than a set of simultaneous equations.

** I'd rather you had a 10 foot steel spike driven up your backside and out
your head.

I think Patrick is quite right to doubt its low-frequency performance.

** Why doubt an unspectacular spec???

Dunno what you mean.

** Silly me for expecting a factual answer from a **** like Iveson.

Bass is quite important to me.

** More so than gay porn ??

Just to prove what ****ing arse you are ???

Actually I've just recovered from a boil up my arse that made ****ing
quite painful.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!

So Ian Iveson finally, publicly admits to being an Arse Bandit as well as
an autistic pile of excrement !!

Just what sort of cretin stoops to ****ing it ?????????

........... Phil

Ian Iveson

"Phil Allison" wrote

** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

No, UL is UL mode. Pentode mode is constant Vsk.

** All commercial toroidal and R-cores are wound with GOSS

No, some are amorphous, and some are other alloys such as nickel
steel. Check Lundahl and Magnequest, for example.

Actually I've just recovered from a boil up my arse that made
****ing

quite painful.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!

So Ian Iveson finally, publicly admits to being an Arse Bandit as
well as an autistic pile of excrement !!

Just what sort of cretin stoops to ****ing it ?????????

Obviously you know bugger all about ****ing, and possibly **** all
about buggering. Talk about wild horses...they had to give me a
general to get an enema within striking distance.

For the uninitiated, your arse tightens up so you don't crap on your
partner.

cheers, Ian

Jon Yaeger

For the uninitiated, your arse tightens up so you don't crap on your
partner.

cheers, Ian

Not a problem I suppose unless your partner weighs 250 lbs (113 Kg) or more
and prefers to stride atop.

I think I'd prefer to forgo initiation, thank you.

;-)

Ian Iveson

"Jon Yaeger" wrote

I think I'd prefer to forgo initiation, thank you.

What, never ****ed, or never cared about crapping at the same time?
I took it to be entirely on the physical and neurological
plane...like no tight bum, no come. Same for boys and girls of all
persuasions.

It's an evolution thing: even if it's not a direct hit, a crap
interferes with the enjoyment of the cigarette.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"
"Phil Allison"
** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

No, UL is UL mode. Pentode mode is constant Vsk.

** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

Actually I've just recovered from a boil up my arse that made ****ing
quite painful.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!

So Ian Iveson finally, publicly admits to being an Arse Bandit as well as
an autistic pile of excrement !!

Just what sort of cretin stoops to ****ing it ?????????

Obviously you know bugger all about ****ing, and possibly **** all about
buggering.

** You are the one with the boil up your arse.

Bet plenty of other sordid things have been up there too.

............. Phil

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"
"Phil Allison"

** All commercial toroidal and R-cores are wound with GOSS

No, some are amorphous, and some are other alloys such as nickel steel.
Check Lundahl and Magnequest, for example.

** Lots of C-cores and normal lam types.

Where are the toroidals ????

The only non GOSS types are either mic or line level units.

............ Phil

On Thu, 5 May 2005 11:11:47 +1000, "Phil Allison"
wrote:

"Ian Iveson"
"Phil Allison"
** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

No, UL is UL mode. Pentode mode is constant Vsk.

** UL is a pentode mode - you ass.

Actually I've just recovered from a boil up my arse that made ****ing
quite painful.

** ROTFLMAO !!!!

So Ian Iveson finally, publicly admits to being an Arse Bandit as well as
an autistic pile of excrement !!

Just what sort of cretin stoops to ****ing it ?????????

Obviously you know bugger all about ****ing, and possibly **** all about
buggering.

** You are the one with the boil up your arse.

Bet plenty of other sordid things have been up there too.

............ Phil

Sordid indeed ! Really Phillip Allison

http://www.swat.com.au/tt/

just look at that Church and repent...after all it is directly
opposite your house in Sydney!!!

Ian Iveson

"Phil Allison" wrote

** All commercial toroidal and R-cores are wound with GOSS

No, some are amorphous, and some are other alloys such as nickel
steel. Check Lundahl and Magnequest, for example.

** Lots of C-cores and normal lam types.

Where are the toroidals ????

Dunno, I have come across discussions about Lundahl's amorphous
C-core...perhaps you are being picky here coz it's a C, or perhaps
they are not on the site. Similarly with Magnequest, which is an EI
AFAIK.

Plenty make small amorphous-cored trannies...you didn't say big ones
after all.

There are also plenty of suppliers of larger amorphous cores. So
they are commercial, mostly R cores, not wound with GOSS.

Amorphous toroids don't seem popular. Possibly there is no
advantage, as the R-core is just as easy to make with amorphous, and
is easier to fill with copper.

The only non GOSS types are either mic or line level units.

Mu-metal I suppose.

cheers, Ian

Phil Allison

"Ian Iveson"
"Phil Allison"
** All commercial toroidal and R-cores are wound with GOSS

No, some are amorphous, and some are other alloys such as nickel steel.
Check Lundahl and Magnequest, for example.

** Lots of C-cores and normal lam types.

Where are the toroidals ????

Dunno,

** Gone for a Tosca - maybe ???

( What a lying pommy cretin)

Plenty make small amorphous-cored trannies...you didn't say big ones after
all.

** The context was audio power output transformers - not microphone types
or high frequency jobs.

Amorphous toroids don't seem popular. Possibly there is no advantage, as
the R-core is just as easy to make with amorphous, and is easier to fill
with copper.

** The tranny in question is a GOSS R-core.

.............. Phil

Ian Iveson

"Patrick Turner" wrote

I am not sure what Iveson is up to, maybe he is trying to disgust
us into
submission.

Who, me? Why? Phil brought it up. I was just being polite.

cheers, Ian

Patrick Turner

Ian Iveson wrote:

"Patrick Turner" wrote

I am not sure what Iveson is up to, maybe he is trying to disgust
us into
submission.

Who, me? Why? Phil brought it up. I was just being polite.

cheers, Ian

The less I have to know about your ass the better.
Of course our demented Phil reacted like a fascinated ghoul.

Patrick Turner.