Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Default Ripping Music / Audio Files ??

I know how to use Windows Media Player to rip mp3 files. I am also aware
of the file selection types such as WMA WMA Variable, etc.

Here is what I don't know how to do:

I have several regular music albums. I want to place those albums on my pc,
and then be able to make an album that can be played on **any** player.
What format is used for this ? I know it must be the basic "audio"
type file, but I cannot think of the name of it.

From what I can determine, it looks like Windows Media Player does not give
this option. It allows the option of various levels of compression, such as
WMA WMA Variable, mp3 etc.

IF WMP does not allow what I wish to do, what software could I use to rip
to regular audio files that can be used on any player ? Can Nero do this
?

I know these are "green" questions, but I am a bit lost here. I did this
several years ago, but I have forgotten how I did it !!

Thanks for any help !!

James

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

"James" writes:

I know how to use Windows Media Player to rip mp3 files. I am also aware
of the file selection types such as WMA WMA Variable, etc.

Here is what I don't know how to do:

I have several regular music albums. I want to place those albums on my pc,
and then be able to make an album that can be played on **any** player.
What format is used for this ? I know it must be the basic "audio"
type file, but I cannot think of the name of it.

mp3 128kbps is pretty universally supported. 160kbps should work
very broadly too.

WMA has rights management **** built in.

Use Razor LAME or some other gui front end to LAME is you want to get
free of the lameness of WMP. MusicMatch jukebox is another I used to
use back in the day, but boy has it gotten bloated.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
audioguy audioguy is offline

In article ,
"James" writes:
I know how to use Windows Media Player to rip mp3 files. I am also aware
of the file selection types such as WMA WMA Variable, etc.

Here is what I don't know how to do:

I have several regular music albums. I want to place those albums on my pc,
and then be able to make an album that can be played on **any** player.
What format is used for this ? I know it must be the basic "audio"
type file, but I cannot think of the name of it.

From what I can determine, it looks like Windows Media Player does not give
this option. It allows the option of various levels of compression, such as
WMA WMA Variable, mp3 etc.

IF WMP does not allow what I wish to do, what software could I use to rip
to regular audio files that can be used on any player ? Can Nero do this
?

I know these are "green" questions, but I am a bit lost here. I did this
several years ago, but I have forgotten how I did it !!

Thanks for any help !!

James

I think you are referring to WAV files. These are uncompressed files
that can be saved to a CD using Nero or other programs to make a CD
compliation that can be played on any CD player.

I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to do this, it is available free online.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Audioguy, I think this is just the answer I was looking for !! Do you
think that Exact Audio Copy would be easier (or better ) to use than Nero
to rip the WAV files ??

Thanks very much for responding, and I welcome other comments !!

James

I think you are referring to WAV files. These are uncompressed files
that can be saved to a CD using Nero or other programs to make a CD
compliation that can be played on any CD player.

I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to do this, it is available free online.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
Randy Yates Randy Yates is offline

"James" writes:

I know how to use Windows Media Player to rip mp3 files. I am also aware
of the file selection types such as WMA WMA Variable, etc.

Here is what I don't know how to do:

I have several regular music albums. I want to place those albums on my pc,
and then be able to make an album that can be played on **any** player.
What format is used for this ? I know it must be the basic "audio"
type file, but I cannot think of the name of it.

From what I can determine, it looks like Windows Media Player does not give
this option. It allows the option of various levels of compression, such as
WMA WMA Variable, mp3 etc.

IF WMP does not allow what I wish to do, what software could I use to rip
to regular audio files that can be used on any player ? Can Nero do this
?

I know these are "green" questions, but I am a bit lost here. I did this
several years ago, but I have forgotten how I did it !!

Thanks for any help !!

James

Have you considered the file storage requirements? If you store raw, uncompressed
data, you're looking at several hundred megabytes per CD. It can add up quick.
An entire 300 GB hard drive could store maybe 600 CDs. Maybe that's OK - I
don't know.

There is an open-source, lossless compression format called FLAC that can
save you space. I think the average is about 50 percent.

Then when you want to download it to an IPOD or burn a CD or whatever, you
can convert to the appropriate format at the time the information is output
to the media.
--
% Randy Yates % "And all that I can do
%% Fuquay-Varina, NC % is say I'm sorry,

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
No Name

"James" wrote in message
. ..
Audioguy, I think this is just the answer I was looking for !! Do you
think that Exact Audio Copy would be easier (or better ) to use than
Nero
to rip the WAV files ??

Thanks very much for responding, and I welcome other comments !!

James

I think you are referring to WAV files. These are uncompressed files
that can be saved to a CD using Nero or other programs to make a CD
compliation that can be played on any CD player.

I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to do this, it is available free online.

Nero will do the job you have in mind. Look for "Make an Audio CD". I use
Ashampoo burning studio, also free, that does an admirable job as well.

Just add the files you want to put on the CD and the program(s) will keep
track of how much space it will take via a bar graph at the bottom.

Norm Strong

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Thanks Norm !!

James

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
No Name

RY- [Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:07:35 -0400]:
FLAC that can save you space... average is about 50 percent

Depends on the music. Classical, maybe. Typical
pop, or worse stil, metal, maybe you might save 35%.
For example, 1000 kbps instead of 1411* what- ever
of CDA. Still worth it since you can add text and
image data to the files (flac, alac, etc.), which
you can't do with straight CDA or PCM (.wav, not
easily anyway). Makes it easy to catalog, find,
spindle, mutilate.

* 44100 Hz x 16 bits x 2 (channels) = 1,411,200 bps

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iplay.40th.com - Advanced PPC audio player
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech

"James" writes:
Audioguy, I think this is just the answer I was looking for !! Do you
think that Exact Audio Copy would be easier (or better ) to use than Nero
to rip the WAV files ??

Thanks very much for responding, and I welcome other comments !!

James

I think you are referring to WAV files. These are uncompressed files
that can be saved to a CD using Nero or other programs to make a CD
compliation that can be played on any CD player.

I use Exact Audio Copy (EAC) to do this, it is available free online.

My Nero Express does not extract WAV files, but it will compile them
into a CD.

I find EAC to be better for all uses, especially extracting from a CD
in that it will do extra work to make sure it gets an error-free
extraction.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion,rec.audio.tech
James James is offline

Thanks again audioguy !!