Posted to rec.audio.misc
Dirk Dirk is offline

Default Switching between two sound cards.

I have a soundcard for recording, the E-MU 0404, that has inputs that
require my preamp and large mics that I use.

Aside from not wanting to use two mics and a preamp, every time I talk
over VOIP, I'm not sure, but I don't think it "duplexes" properly for
use with VOIP, which I'm going to be using when I get a broadband
connection soon. This recording card was such a pain to install and
get working properly....anyway, is there a way, in WinXP, that I can
switch between the two sound cards easily, using the built in cheap
one for internet telephony and the E-MU for recording?

I would be asking this in an EMU forum but, I went through the whole
registration process for one, and then didn't receive a confirmation.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Dirk Dirk is offline

Thought I'd answer my own question, in case anyone ever stumbles on
this in a search. Turned out it wasn't that hard to switch between two
sound cards. To disable my recording card, and enable the basic one
the computer came with (with mic and headphone jacks on the front of
the computer), I went into CONTROL PANEL, SYSTEM and by right clicking
in the items under sound, disabled my recording card, and enabled two
things for my basic sound card. Reboot. Going back the sound card, did
the opposite, and didn't need to reboot.

On Aug 13, 5:37 pm, Dirk wrote:
I have a soundcard for recording, the E-MU 0404, that has inputs that
require my preamp and large mics that I use.

Aside from not wanting to use two mics and a preamp, every time I talk
over VOIP, I'm not sure, but I don't think it "duplexes" properly for
use with VOIP, which I'm going to be using when I get a broadband
connection soon. This recording card was such a pain to install and
get working properly....anyway, is there a way, in WinXP, that I can
switch between the two sound cards easily, using the built in cheap
one for internet telephony and the E-MU for recording?

I would be asking this in an EMU forum but, I went through the whole
registration process for one, and then didn't receive a confirmation.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Toby Newman Toby Newman is offline

On 2007-08-13, Dirk wrote:
I have a soundcard for recording, the E-MU 0404, that has inputs that
require my preamp and large mics that I use.

Aside from not wanting to use two mics and a preamp, every time I talk
over VOIP, I'm not sure, but I don't think it "duplexes" properly for
use with VOIP, which I'm going to be using when I get a broadband
connection soon. This recording card was such a pain to install and
get working properly....anyway, is there a way, in WinXP, that I can
switch between the two sound cards easily, using the built in cheap
one for internet telephony and the E-MU for recording?

I would be asking this in an EMU forum but, I went through the whole
registration process for one, and then didn't receive a confirmation.

I have a pro soundcard for recording that doesn't perform well for
day-to-day tasks like VOIP and gaming.

To get around this, I set my motherboard's onboard sound chip to be the
default sound device in Windows. I then connect it's analogue ins and outs
to my pro sound card which is connected to my amp and speakers.

Any pro audio software is usually capable of ignoring the Windows
default soundcard setting and going straight to the pro soundcard
following some configuration. Any consumer software (voip and games)
will use the windows default card. Works quite well.

I even have a noise gate on the pro soundcard which cuts the noise from
the onboard sound chip when not in use

--
-Toby