Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jerome Jerome is offline

Default FM antennas

In the old days the cheapo FM antenna was a T-shaped pair of wires with 2
connectors. The last 2 stereo units I've bought both had a single wire,
maybe 4 feet long, with only 1 connector. Is this comparable to the old
2-wire antennae I remember? Worth replacing? Can I take an old T-type
antenna and join its two wires into the single connector I have on my
receiver for better reception?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jerome Jerome is offline

Todd H. wrote:

Jerome writes:

In the old days the cheapo FM antenna was a T-shaped pair of wires with 2
connectors. The last 2 stereo units I've bought both had a single wire,
maybe 4 feet long, with only 1 connector. Is this comparable to the old
2-wire antennae I remember? Worth replacing? Can I take an old T-type
antenna and join its two wires into the single connector I have on my
receiver for better reception?

Not if you'd like it to work. :-) You'd be shorting out the radio
signal. The old style 2-spade lead 300ohm antennae will work just
fine however with a 300ohm to 75ohm balun. $5 at radio shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

If it's not a co-ax (typically silver, smaller diameter than a dime)
style input on your receiver, you'll have to divulge make/model of
receiver and look up what your antenna input looks like.

Best Regards,

Thanks. My receiver is a SONY STR-DE197. Oddly, it uses a balun-like
connector, but only the center wire - the shield is plastic. My little
Panasonic counter-top also uses only the center wire. Is this a
cost-cutting measure?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/

Amplified FM antennas CLM in ND Tech 8 December 26th 06 04:14 PM
short antennas Richard Catrambone Car Audio 7 October 27th 06 05:44 AM
Question about antennas Nathan Gutman Tech 16 June 4th 05 05:34 AM
Problem With Sirius Antennas J-Man Car Audio 5 January 2nd 05 04:45 AM
Power antennas Steve Car Audio 1 June 30th 04 06:07 AM