Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Colin B. Colin B. is offline

Default Dubbing Reel-to-Reel to CD

In rec.audio.tech Matt Ion wrote:
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
ups.com

So, when I have acquired a Behringer UCA202, I will
investigate some of the packages recomended in this
thread. Thus far the folks here have given me an
education. :-)

Go to google and find the web site for Audacity. It's freeware and really
pretty good.

I'll second the recommendation for Audacity. Dunno if it has
direct-CD-burning capability, but your laptop already has the burning
software, so all you need to do is capture to 44.1kHz/16-bit/stereo
WAVs, do whatever editing you desire, and burn the files via your
burning software.

I can't quite understand the hype around Audacity. I guess my computer is
just so slow that it reveals the bugs. On a 1GHz processor though, it cannot
actually record sound without dropouts and glitches. Once those glitches are
in the data stream, it cannot write out to a .wav file that will write to
a standard audio CD.

Nero is a great application made by Ahead Software, and relatively
inexpensive for everything it does. They have a downloadable demo
available - www.nero.com

No argument there. I used Roxio before, and kept looking for alternative
programs which worked around its quirks. Then I got Nero "lite" with my
new burner, and quit using all of the others.

Colin
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article , Colin B.
ucleus.com writes
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

I've tried it but its not a patch on Cool edit and nowhere near as
intuitive, but then again nowhere near as expensive

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

tony sayer wrote:

I can't quite understand the hype around Audacity. I guess my computer is
just so slow that it reveals the bugs. On a 1GHz processor though, it cannot
actually record sound without dropouts and glitches. Once those glitches are
in the data stream, it cannot write out to a .wav file that will write to
a standard audio CD.

I've tried it but its not a patch on Cool edit and nowhere near as
intuitive, but then again nowhere near as expensive

Agreed - I love Cool Edit (now known as Adobe Audition), but it's
somewhat expensive. Worth it, but still expensive.

Audacity has the advantage of being free, well-supported, and it's
always run well for me on any machine I've put it on. If you're getting
dropouts on 1GHz machine, I'd suggest checking for other causes, such as
slow disk access or unneeded processes running. Also make sure you're
not running the capture through some other real-time plugins or
something else that would chew up processor time unnecessarily.

Actually, one of the best (IMHO) things I've used for CD mastering is
Wavelab - I do like its "Montage" editing for overlapping, crossfading,
and adding tracks, setting track markers, and so on. I know other apps
can do this as well (such as CD Architect), but I really like the
Wavelab interface and functionality. But again, it's relatively
expensive...
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Adrian Adrian is offline

On Jun 10, 1:08 pm, Susan Bugher wrote:
Owain wrote:
(b) google Audacity

It's Pricelessware ("The best of the best in Freeware - selected by
alt.comp.freeware participants").

Program: Audacity
Author: Dominic Mazzoni
Wa (Donationware) (free) (open source: GNU GPL)http://sourceforge.net/projects/auda...urceforge.net/

More free audio editors that have been mentioned in alt.comp.freeware
are listed hehttp://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf....01AudioEditor

Wavosaur is fairly new and has gotten some good reviews from ACF
participants. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
Search alt.comp.freeware (or read it online):http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware

Susan,

Thank you for the link to http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/ It makes
very interesting reading.

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Geoff Geoff is offline

Colin B. wrote:

Nero is a great application made by Ahead Software, and relatively
inexpensive for everything it does. They have a downloadable demo
available - www.nero.com

No argument there. I used Roxio before, and kept looking for
alternative programs which worked around its quirks. Then I got Nero
"lite" with my
new burner, and quit using all of the others.

I wouldn't call Nero 'great'. Along with most otrher germanic software it
seems to have a rather bizarre workflow and GUI . But it works and is
reliable.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Colin B." wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
[...]

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:23:14 -0400, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.

My first PC was a 200MHZ Pentium. I did a lot of multi-track
recording on it. A 1GHZ box is way more than adequate. Look for
another reason for your problems.

What sort of glitches? They couldn't be overloads?
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

In article , Laurence Payne
lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom.? writes
wrote:

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.

My first PC was a 200MHZ Pentium. I did a lot of multi-track
recording on it. A 1GHZ box is way more than adequate. Look for
another reason for your problems.

What sort of glitches? They couldn't be overloads?

If your running Win 2 K or X Pee hit control-alt-delete and go for Task
manager and you can see what's using the processor power, under
processes...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Ron Hardin Ron Hardin is offline

Dropouts has to do with the operating system and what features of it
the recording app uses.

My 133 MHz win95 desktop records and plays back real audio flawlessly
under any load whatsoever, simply because handling audio samples is
done at the highest priority, by real encoder and real player and
the operating system.

The load doesn't matter because the load is at a lower priority and
so always waits when there's an audio sample to handle.

If you get a dropout, the computer is programmed to do something else
first, or doesn't distinguish the priorities of various threads at
all.

On the same win95 machine, windows media player playback does show
dropouts under load, so obviously there's a capability to avoid them
that simply isn't being used by that app.

--
Ron Hardin

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

I can't quite understand the hype around Audacity. I
guess my computer is just so slow that it reveals the
bugs. On a 1GHz processor though, it cannot actually
record sound without dropouts and glitches. Once those
glitches are in the data stream, it cannot write out to a
.wav file that will write to
a standard audio CD.

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.

Yup, seen all that myself. Our main studio machine for years was an
Athlon 800Mhz with 128MB RAM, running Win98SE, with an ADAT PCR card for
ADAT control and transfer. It would nicely stream all 8 ADAT tracks of
44.1k or 48kHz, 16-bit audio, without a hiccup (granted, had to use a
SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't handle it).

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 14:40:21 GMT, Matt Ion
wrote:

(granted, had to use a
SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't handle it).

Possibly it would. But the controllers in IDE hard drives have got
much more clever since then.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Colin B. Colin B. is offline

wrote:

Just because you have dropouts and glitches on some particular computer,
does not necessarily supporting claims about computers in general, even
computers of just that clock speed. I've seen 400 MHz machines record
multitrack flawlessly, and I've see 3 GHz machines that added dropouts and
clicks to just stereo.

My first PC was a 200MHZ Pentium. I did a lot of multi-track
recording on it. A 1GHZ box is way more than adequate. Look for
another reason for your problems.

I agree. Let me be a bit more clear about this.

With old versions of Audacity, I recorded files fine on my old Celeron
400MHz. However, other bugs caused problems, and I upgraded. The newest
(as of May) version of Audacity eliminated most of those bugs, but also game
me the dropouts.

What sort of glitches? They couldn't be overloads?

Nope. I'm pretty careful to set my levels. What I'm getting is missing
chunks, of a fraction of a second at a time. When I'm recording voice, I'll
get something like this:

(sample original text from a tape deck, record, etc.)
"To ensure impartial judgement of a wine, it should be served blind..."
(what actually gets recorded)
"To ensure impargement of a winet should be served blind..."

It sounds very much like an uncorrectible error you'd get from playing
back a damaged CD.

The load average is always 100% when recording, and it's 99+% audacity,
according to the Task Manager. I suspect that's where the problem lies.

However, even if I could get clean data into Audacity (and I can, if I
use something else to record), I find that the way it eats memory when I'm
chopping up a .wav file is a problem as well. The more pieces I break a
file into, the slower it gets. When editing some language tapes, I was
typically breaking a 25-minute recording (i.e. one side of a tape) into
about 15 tracks. By the time I got than ten tracks split out, the CPU would
sit at 100% all the time, and take as long as 10-15 seconds to respond to
a single mouse-click.

I've got no problems whatsoever with other programs. Goldwave is flawless,
and a remarkably light load. Of course it's not free, but it's good enough
(and enough of an improvement over free tools) that I'm happy to pay the
$50.

I should add that a year or two ago, when I was doing some recording with
an older version of Audacity, I came across a simple bug and also a problem
in the documentation, and contacted the authors. They replied within a day,
clarifying the documentation (which was later changed) and acknowledging the
bug (which was later fixed). It's a good team, and a good effort, but over
the years I keep trying it, and being beaten by one thing or another.

Colin
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:47:22 +0100, Laurence Payne

wrote:

(granted, had to use a
SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't handle it).

Possibly it would. But the controllers in IDE hard drives have got
much more clever since then.

Not to mention the ram buffers that can often suck up an entire audio
track before needing to bother the actual write heads.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
newsxxci.30503$xq1.2955@pd7urf1no
Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware

Arny Krueger wrote:

[...]

I started out multitracking 16 tracks on a 667 MHz Pentium 2 , and an ATA66
drive. It had to be defragged pretty frequently, though.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
newsxxci.30503$xq1.2955@pd7urf1no...
Yup, seen all that myself. Our main studio machine for years was an
Athlon 800Mhz with 128MB RAM, running Win98SE, with an ADAT PCR card for
ADAT control and transfer. It would nicely stream all 8 ADAT tracks of
44.1k or 48kHz, 16-bit audio, without a hiccup (granted, had to use a
SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't handle it).

Strange, my old Celeron 600 with an ATA-33 hard drive had no problem with
8*16/48 tracks.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
I started out multitracking 16 tracks on a 667 MHz Pentium 2 , and an

ATA66
drive. It had to be defragged pretty frequently, though.

I solved that problem with a separate recording partition, then a separate
hard drive entirely.
Simply delete all files before recording, much quicker than defragging.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:

(granted, had to use a
SCSI drive for that, as ATA-66 just wouldn't handle it).

Possibly it would. But the controllers in IDE hard drives have got
much more clever since then.

NOW it will - it'll rip nicely to an ATA-133 drive on a P3/1.2GHz.

When we built the first machine though, I couldn't get more than 4,
MAYBE 5, tracks to rip simultaneously without dropouts to the ATA-66
drive. SCSI drive took all 8 tracks without a hiccup.
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

"Matt Ion" wrote in message
NOW it will - it'll rip nicely to an ATA-133 drive on a P3/1.2GHz.

When we built the first machine though, I couldn't get more than 4,
MAYBE 5, tracks to rip simultaneously without dropouts to the ATA-66
drive. SCSI drive took all 8 tracks without a hiccup.

Maybe you had a hard drive that did thermal calibration. That caused
problems for quite a few people at the time.
Or maybe your disk controller was crap, or your sound card buffer setting
was too small.
ATA-66 bus was more than adequate for that purpose though, SCSI being
unnecessary for most audio use since ATA-33 came along.

MrT.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
James Perrett James Perrett is offline

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:42:22 +0100, Arny Krueger wrote:

I started out multitracking 16 tracks on a 667 MHz Pentium 2 , and an
ATA66
drive. It had to be defragged pretty frequently, though.

My first audio machine was a 33MHz 486 with a Turtle Beach Multisound and
SAW software. I could just about manange to play 3 16bit/44.1kHz stereo
tracks with no dropouts - as long as I didn't want any real time volume
changes. Moving up to a 66MHz 486 gave me 4 stereo tracks and all the
volume changes I wanted.

I've also recorded 16 mono 16bit/44.1kHz tracks on a 233MHz PentiumII with
an RME Hammerfall card and Cool Edit Pro. I successfully played them back
into a stereo output but they didn't seem to like being sent to individual
outputs.

For basic recording of stuff intended for CD I quite like using CDWave
which is free and does what it does very well.

Cheers

James.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Susan Bugher Susan Bugher is offline

James Perrett wrote:

For basic recording of stuff intended for CD I quite like using CDWave
which is free and does what it does very well.

CD Wave is Shareware.

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/download.html
"Note that CD Wave is shareware. This means you can use it in any
non-commercial way. You can try it for a period of one month (31 days).
If you wish to continue to use it after that period, you must register.
Instructions on how to register are also in the help file."

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf....php#Shareware
"Sharewa commercial software that can be downloaded, often for free.
Payment is required for legal use of the software beyond the trial
period. Some authors use the honor system; more commonly, code is
included to prevent the use of some or all functions if payment is not
made in accordance with the shareware agreement."

Note: Mike Looijmans uses the HONOR system (CD Wave is not crippled when
the 31 day trial period expires). See:
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/register.html

Program: CD Wave
Company: MiLo Software
Author: Mike Looijmans
Wa (Shareware)
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Pricelesswa http://www.pricelessware.org (not maintained)
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Bear Bottoms Bear Bottoms is offline

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 22:20:18 -0500, Susan Bugher
wrote:

James Perrett wrote:

For basic recording of stuff intended for CD I quite like using CDWave
which is free and does what it does very well.

CD Wave is Shareware.

http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/download.html
"Note that CD Wave is shareware. This means you can use it in any
non-commercial way. You can try it for a period of one month (31 days).
If you wish to continue to use it after that period, you must register.
Instructions on how to register are also in the help file."

Registering makes it shareware? Is there a cost to this registration?

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf....php#Shareware
"Sharewa commercial software that can be downloaded, often for free.
Payment is required for legal use of the software beyond the trial
period. Some authors use the honor system; more commonly, code is
included to prevent the use of some or all functions if payment is not
made in accordance with the shareware agreement."

This says something about paying...do you have to pay for CD Wave after
the 30 days. You look it up. I don't want to.

Note: Mike Looijmans uses the HONOR system (CD Wave is not crippled when
the 31 day trial period expires). See:
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/register.html

Then it is a donation?

Program: CD Wave
Company: MiLo Software
Author: Mike Looijmans
Wa (Shareware)
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

Susan

Maybe it has malware too?

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
No Name

newsp.tudgu7wljo4m88@c57jw11...

Author: Mike Looijmans
Wa (Shareware)
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

Susan

Maybe it has malware too?

No. No malware. I've been using CDWave for years--and I paid for it. Is
there anything wrong with it? Generally speaking, no, although there are a
few places where it could be more friendly.

The main problem with CDWave is that it works only with .wav files. To edit
mp3s, I use mp3DirectCut, but this latter doesn't show the entire file at
once like CDWave does. Another alternative is WaveRepair--also shareware.

As far as I know, there is no freeware that will show the entire file at
once, and will allow fine editing at the same time.

Norm

Author: Mike Looijmans
Wa (Shareware)
http://www.milosoftware.com/cdwave/

SNIP Another alternative is WaveRepair--also shareware.

Wave Repair is a little different story - some of the features are free:

Program: Wave Repair
Author: Clive Backham
Wa (Liteware) (Nagware) (free) recording and track splitting
functions are free
http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/

http://www.delback.co.uk/wavrep/freeware.htm
"If you only want to use Wave Repair for hard disk recording and track
splitting, it can be considered "freeware". There is no need to be
register it in this case. (You will, of course, have to put up with the
"unregistered copy" nag screen when the program starts up)."

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Pricelesswa http://www.pricelessware.org (not maintained)

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 11:00:16 -0500, wrote:

Maybe it has malware too?

No. No malware. I've been using CDWave for years--and I paid for it.
Is
there anything wrong with it? Generally speaking, no, although there
are a
few places where it could be more friendly.

The main problem with CDWave is that it works only with .wav files. To
edit
mp3s, I use mp3DirectCut, but this latter doesn't show the entire file at
once like CDWave does. Another alternative is WaveRepair--also
shareware.

As far as I know, there is no freeware that will show the entire file at
once, and will allow fine editing at the same time.

Norm

No it has no malware. Sorry...this was mainly a dig on Susan Bug-her. She
posted about malware in a program I posted about recently which set off
this newest flame war. Pricelessware Goons under her leaderlessship has
tried to maintain dominance in this NG, and assault anyone who doesn't
cater to it. The Goonies are their little drive-by flammers who contribute
little.

--
Bear Bottoms
Freeware website: http://bearbottoms1.com

Pricelessware Goons: Susan Bugher, John Corliss, jon, Elaich, Ron May,
Yyrah, Vegard Kroggypants Petersen, Nicolaas Hawkins, Aaron, iNcReDuLoUs,
Franklin, Roger Hunt, POKO

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,alt.comp.freeware
Mr.T Mr.T is offline

wrote in message
. ..
As far as I know, there is no freeware that will show the entire file at
once, and will allow fine editing at the same time.

Doesn't Audacity do that?
Disclaimer, I don't use it myself, but it seems to do what most people need,
and is totally free open source software.

MrT.