Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Tape Input Switching device

Maybe someone can help me with some information: I am looking for a
switching box. I want to utilize three recording devices with my
receiver, an open reel tape deck, a cassette deck and a computer.

Some while back I saw a device from a company with a name something
like Neal, or Niel. This switch would allow any recording device to
select either of the others, or the receiver as input. It would also
allow the receiver to monitor any of the recorders.

Search the web as I might, I can't locate this box, or anything like
it. Could anyone recommend a switching unit like this and tell me
where I might find such?

Many thanks

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Dave Bachmann Dave Bachmann is offline

Radio Shack had (has?) a 3-way "Tape Control Center" that does exactly what
you want. The one I have was catalog #42-2105. IIRC, the one you were
thinking of likely came from Niles.

Dave

--
Invert name and ISP in order to respond
"Adrian" wrote in message
ps.com...
Maybe someone can help me with some information: I am looking for a
switching box. I want to utilize three recording devices with my
receiver, an open reel tape deck, a cassette deck and a computer.

Some while back I saw a device from a company with a name something
like Neal, or Niel. This switch would allow any recording device to
select either of the others, or the receiver as input. It would also
allow the receiver to monitor any of the recorders.

Search the web as I might, I can't locate this box, or anything like
it. Could anyone recommend a switching unit like this and tell me
where I might find such?

Many thanks

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Tim Schwartz Tim Schwartz is offline

Adrian wrote:
Maybe someone can help me with some information: I am looking for a
switching box. I want to utilize three recording devices with my
receiver, an open reel tape deck, a cassette deck and a computer.

Some while back I saw a device from a company with a name something
like Neal, or Niel. This switch would allow any recording device to
select either of the others, or the receiver as input. It would also
allow the receiver to monitor any of the recorders.

Search the web as I might, I can't locate this box, or anything like
it. Could anyone recommend a switching unit like this and tell me
where I might find such?

Many thanks

Adrian

Hello,

As the other poster mentioned, Radio Shack has/had a passive switch,
and the other brand you were thinking of was likely Niles, who also made
one. Sony used to have them too, the SB-300 and later the SB-500.
Radio Shack is the best bet for a new one, E-bay for a used one.

Regards,
Tim Schwartz
Bristol Electronics
Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Codifus Codifus is offline

On May 16, 7:44 pm, Adrian wrote:
Maybe someone can help me with some information: I am looking for a
switching box. I want to utilize three recording devices with my
receiver, an open reel tape deck, a cassette deck and a computer.

Some while back I saw a device from a company with a name something
like Neal, or Niel. This switch would allow any recording device to
select either of the others, or the receiver as input. It would also
allow the receiver to monitor any of the recorders.

Search the web as I might, I can't locate this box, or anything like
it. Could anyone recommend a switching unit like this and tell me
where I might find such?

Many thanks

Adrian

Another option to consider is your receiver, or perhaps buying another
one with more inputs. Most receivers used come with 2 tape inputs/
outputs. One was named Tape 1 and the other may have been named tape 2
or MD or VCR etc. You can plug your computer into VCR, your tape into
tape one, and so on.

For example, in my system, my cassette deck is connected to the tape
inputs/outputs and the computer is connected to the MD inputs/outputs.
Now that I think about it, I will never use the cassette deck to
record again, so all I really need is an input. I could then connect
the tape output to any input; Auxiliary, Tuner, Line in, CD, and free
up the tape out jacks on the receiver for my other recording device.
If I had a reel to reel, I would connect its' recording jacks there.

Last thing: Never use the Phono input. All of the other inputs/output
have the same input/output electrical characteristics except Phono.
Phone is meant for records player only which have significantly
different input characteristics.

Hope this helps

CD

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Adrian Adrian is offline

On May 17, 3:05 am, Tim Schwartz wrote:
Adrianwrote:
[...]

Bristol Electronics- Hide quoted text -

Thanks,

That is exactly what I needed. The Niles one looks pretty good. I am
not convinced of the quality of the RS "Realistic" model.

Adrian

Posted to rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.tech
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Adrian writes:

That is exactly what I needed. The Niles one looks pretty good. I am
not convinced of the quality of the RS "Realistic" model.

Actually, I have one I used to use when I was a very discerning eared
youth. The Realistic model worked perfectly fine.

It's in a box here doing quite a bit of nothing in my home. If you'd
like it, actual shipping cost by method of your choice and, oh $5 for
an honorarium for the trip to the shipper, and I'd be happy to send it
to ya.

tdh {at} toddh {dot} net

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H