Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

Default Living Room Home Theater Suggestions

Hello,

I am setting up a home theater system for a new 50 inch TH-50PH9UK
display. I already have a progressive scan DVD player with component
video output (not HDMI) and digital audio output. I am mounting the
display over a fireplace, so it will be higher than normal viewing
height. As such, I am looking for an A/V receiver that supports
multiple inputs and HDMI output. I will then run all devices into the
A/V receiver and run one HDMI leg from the receiver to the display
through the wall cavity over the fireplace.

The layout in the room is a bit of an odd arrangement for home theater
requirements as most of the seating will be off to one side or the
other. Also, the floorplan is open (see diagram below for reference),
so there will be some viewing from stools at a high countertop in an
adjoining room, though I am not concerning my self with providing
speakers specifically for these outside viewpoints.

For a speaker arrangement, I was thinking of a 5.1 arrangement,
utilizing only the front left right and read surround speakers full
time and including the center channel if I am watching a movie. I
would like to mount all speakers high on the walls in the corner,
where the walls and the ceiling meet, with the speakers angled
downward. I know the suggestions and requirements for home theaters
are to keep speakers at ear level, but what are the effects of high
mounted speakers? Given the height of the display, is this
configuration acceptable?

Also, is it possible to mount the surround speakers behind viewers as
opposed to the side of the viewers as such an arrangement would put
the speakers right next to the viewers ears, which I don't think would
be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a future home theater in a different room/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Thanks.

John

Floorplan Diagram
_____________________________
| F+ ==== + | F - Full Height Wall
| F | H - Half Height
Wall (raised countertop)
| H C C | S - Bar Stool
| H C C | C - Couch
| HHHH C C | R - Recliner
| S S S RR | = - Plasma Display
Mounted Over Fireplace
| | + - Desired
Speaker Placement (High Wall Mount)
| +____________+|
| | |
|__________ | |

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
Dan Dan is offline

I must agree with the others regarding the placement of your tv. Have you
given hiding the wiring a thought? I suspect neck strain will become an
issue down the road. This scenario comes up very often.
"John" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

I am setting up a home theater system for a new 50 inch TH-50PH9UK
display. I already have a progressive scan DVD player with component
video output (not HDMI) and digital audio output. I am mounting the
display over a fireplace, so it will be higher than normal viewing
height. As such, I am looking for an A/V receiver that supports
multiple inputs and HDMI output. I will then run all devices into the
A/V receiver and run one HDMI leg from the receiver to the display
through the wall cavity over the fireplace.

The layout in the room is a bit of an odd arrangement for home theater
requirements as most of the seating will be off to one side or the
other. Also, the floorplan is open (see diagram below for reference),
so there will be some viewing from stools at a high countertop in an
adjoining room, though I am not concerning my self with providing
speakers specifically for these outside viewpoints.

For a speaker arrangement, I was thinking of a 5.1 arrangement,
utilizing only the front left right and read surround speakers full
time and including the center channel if I am watching a movie. I
would like to mount all speakers high on the walls in the corner,
where the walls and the ceiling meet, with the speakers angled
downward. I know the suggestions and requirements for home theaters
are to keep speakers at ear level, but what are the effects of high
mounted speakers? Given the height of the display, is this
configuration acceptable?

Also, is it possible to mount the surround speakers behind viewers as
opposed to the side of the viewers as such an arrangement would put
the speakers right next to the viewers ears, which I don't think would
be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a future home theater in a different room/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Thanks.

John

Floorplan Diagram
_____________________________
| F+ ==== + | F - Full Height Wall
| F | H - Half Height
Wall (raised countertop)
| H C C | S - Bar Stool
| H C C | C - Couch
| HHHH C C | R - Recliner
| S S S RR | = - Plasma Display
Mounted Over Fireplace
| | + - Desired
Speaker Placement (High Wall Mount)
| +____________+|
| | |
|__________ | |

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc

On 25 Mar 2007 19:46:52 -0700, "John" wrote:

[...]

If you can't set up a surround system properly, with the audience
seated reasonably centrally within the speaker field, I don't know
that there's much point in doing it at all. The extra speakers will
be ineffective or even annoying.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

On Mar 27, 3:34 am, "Dan" wrote:
> [...]

be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a futurehometheaterin a differentroom/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Wall (raised countertop)
| H C C | S - Bar Stool
| H C C | C - Couch
| HHHH C C | R - Recliner
| S S S RR | = - Plasma Display
Mounted Over Fireplace
| | + - Desired
Speaker Placement (High Wall Mount)
| +____________+|
| | |

I have. The wiring will be dropped from an attic space through the
wall cavity. It will not be visible.

If neck strain becomes a serious issue I'll move the television.

Please just try to help me out with the questions I have regarding
surround sound speaker placement. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

On Mar 27, 6:02 am, Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom
wrote:
[...]

be ineffective or even annoying.- Hide quoted text -

Ok, so it sounds like I should not bother with a conventional 5.1
system. What about these systems that have a single centrally located
rear surround speaker, I know Panasonic makes one. This would be
acceptable in my layout. Could you recommend any good systems that
support this model?

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc

On 27 Mar 2007 07:17:08 -0700, "John" wrote:

Ok, so it sounds like I should not bother with a conventional 5.1
system.

Unless you can mount the screen at a reasonable height, and provide
seating in front of it, I don't think you HAVE a home theatre. Just a
multipurpose space with a tv screen for casual viewing. That's fine.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:49:07 -0600, Ric Seyler
wrote:

Mounting the speakers in the corners high on the wall will give you a
really bad boundary
effect, making everything sound muddy and boomy, which you will have to
get an EQ to filter out.

And if you DO get an eq, it won't really solve the problem.
Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
Ric Seyler Ric Seyler is offline

wrote:

[...]

Plus the sound field will be much less cohesive with the high mounted
speakers. Sound will sound
kinda detached from the display and probably lose the definition if the
mids, which are important
for staging of the sound field (look up some quality reviews of on/in
ceiling speakers), plus like
the others have said the display placement very well could be a big pain
in the neck in the near future.

If you can't set up a surround system properly, with the audience
seated reasonably centrally within the speaker field, I don't know
that there's much point in doing it at all. The extra speakers will
be ineffective or even annoying.- Hide quoted text -

Ok, so it sounds like I should not bother with a conventional 5.1
system. What about these systems that have a single centrally located
rear surround speaker, I know Panasonic makes one. This would be
acceptable in my layout. Could you recommend any good systems that
support this model?

There are a few "fake surround" speaker systems out there, from cheap to
not so cheap.
But they will always be fake surround. IMHO

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc

wrote:

Mounting the speakers in the corners high on the wall will give you a
really bad boundary
effect, making everything sound muddy and boomy, which you will have to
get an EQ to filter out.

And if you DO get an eq, it won't really solve the problem.

Well a really good (read $) outboard parametric notch EQ can tame a lot
of things.
But it is like backing into a bad situation, then having to dig out of it.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
GPL Handicap 6.35

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
--------------------------------------
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
GregS GregS is offline

In article , Laurence Payne lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom wrote:
On 27 Mar 2007 07:17:08 -0700, "John" wrote:

Ok, so it sounds like I should not bother with a conventional 5.1
system.

Unless you can mount the screen at a reasonable height, and provide
seating in front of it, I don't think you HAVE a home theatre. Just a
multipurpose space with a tv screen for casual viewing. That's fine.

I don't see anything wrong with the screen, above the fireplace.
Personally, I would install the surround sound, and have the ability
to place a couch where it would sound decent. You can still have a multipurpose
room, and you can also change the audio format at will if necessary.
Also, having one TV is kind of boring for a multipurpose room. 3-4 screens is
necessary for a sports entertainment center. We used to have 2 large TV,s
hooked up in the old house. Its really dum to watch one channel sometimes.
i hav not had the time or place in the new house to do that, but after i
get done with my room, i will.

greg

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
Ron Ron is offline

On Mar 27, 10:15 am, "John" wrote:
On Mar 27, 3:34 am, "Dan" wrote:

I must agree with the others regarding the placement of your tv. Have you
given hiding the wiring a thought? I suspect neck strain will become an
issue down the road. This scenario comes up very often."John" wrote in message

roups.com...

Hello,

I am setting up ahometheatersystem for a new 50 inch TH-50PH9UK
display. I already have a progressive scan DVD player with component
video output (not HDMI) and digital audio output. I am mounting the
display over a fireplace, so it will be higher than normal viewing
height. As such, I am looking for an A/V receiver that supports
multiple inputs and HDMI output. I will then run all devices into the
A/V receiver and run one HDMI leg from the receiver to the display
through the wall cavity over the fireplace.

The layout in theroomis a bit of an odd arrangement forhometheater
requirements as most of the seating will be off to one side or the
other. Also, the floorplan is open (see diagram below for reference),
so there will be some viewing from stools at a high countertop in an
adjoiningroom, though I am not concerning my self with providing
speakers specifically for these outside viewpoints.

For a speaker arrangement, I was thinking of a 5.1 arrangement,
utilizing only the front left right and read surround speakers full
time and including the center channel if I am watching a movie. I
would like to mount all speakers high on the walls in the corner,
where the walls and the ceiling meet, with the speakers angled
downward. I know the suggestions and requirements forhometheaters
are to keep speakers at ear level, but what are the effects of high
mounted speakers? Given the height of the display, is this
configuration acceptable?

Also, is it possible to mount the surround speakers behind viewers as
opposed to the side of the viewers as such an arrangement would put
the speakers right next to the viewers ears, which I don't think would
be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a futurehometheaterin a differentroom/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Thanks.

John

Floorplan Diagram
_____________________________
| F+ ==== + | F - Full Height Wall
| F | H - Half Height
Wall (raised countertop)
| H C C | S - Bar Stool
| H C C | C - Couch
| HHHH C C | R - Recliner
| S S S RR | = - Plasma Display
Mounted Over Fireplace
| | + - Desired
Speaker Placement (High Wall Mount)
| +____________+|
| | |

I have. The wiring will be dropped from an attic space through the
wall cavity. It will not be visible.

If neck strain becomes a serious issue I'll move the television.

Please just try to help me out with the questions I have regarding
surround sound speaker placement. Thanks.

This is how I have my rear speakers mounted, and they sound fine from
the central listening area. (where I took the pics from)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...IM002024-1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002023.jpg

In my last home, I had the same speakers on stands in corners at ear
level, about 4 feet behind the central listening area, and I can't
tell a huge difference from that set-up, to the one I have now.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
John[_6_] John[_6_] is offline

On Mar 29, 10:07 am, "Ron" wrote:
On Mar 27, 10:15 am, "John" wrote:

On Mar 27, 3:34 am, "Dan" wrote:

> [...]

be good. Again, I would like to mount these rear surround speakers
high on the wall.

If the rear surround speakers will not work, I suppose I could try a
2.1 arrangement or some virtual surround system. If this is the case,
could somebody recommend one that supports HDMI output? Also, is it
possible to install a 5.1 A/V receiver but only use the front left/
right channels and subwoofer, or would there be audio content that
would then be excluded completely? The reason being that I could use
the same 5.1 receiver in a futurehometheaterin a differentroom/
house.

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?
Additionally, does anyone have any input/recommendations on the
speaker arrangement I have proposed, and/or brands?

Wall (raised countertop)
| H C C | S - Bar Stool
| H C C | C - Couch
| HHHH C C | R - Recliner
| S S S RR | = - Plasma Display
Mounted Over Fireplace
| | + - Desired
Speaker Placement (High Wall Mount)
| +____________+|
| | |

I have. The wiring will be dropped from an attic space through the
wall cavity. It will not be visible.

If neck strain becomes a serious issue I'll move the television.

Please just try to help me out with the questions I have regarding
surround sound speaker placement. Thanks.

This is how I have my rear speakers mounted, and they sound fine from
the central listening area. (where I took the pics from)

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...IM002024-1.jpg

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002023.jpg

In my lasthome, I had the same speakers on stands in corners at ear
level, about 4 feet behind the central listening area, and I can't
tell a huge difference from that set-up, to the one I have now.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the help. I'll probably go ahead and install the surround
speakers at the back of the room. I'm not looking for the perfect
solution, just one that's better than nothing.

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home-theater.misc,alt.home-theater,rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.misc
Neill Massello Neill Massello is offline

John wrote:

Given the parameters above, could somebody recommend an A/V receiver,
ideally 5.1 with HDMI output and analog to HDMI up-conversion?

The Denon AVR-5805 http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/3409.asp
converts analog video to HDMI; but if you're going to spend that kind of
money, you might as well replace your DVD player with one that outputs
HDMI.