Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jerome Jerome is offline

Default Dual 604 tonearm won't go down

I just unpacked my Dual 604 turntable after a few years of storage. I had
locked it down and everything, but I think I locked down the tonearm with
the lift-lever in the up position. Now the tonearm won't go down when I use
the lever. The lever just springs back to the up position and the tonearm
doesn't budge.

Can I fix this myself?

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Jerome wrote:
I just unpacked my Dual 604 turntable after a few years of storage. I
had locked it down and everything, but I think I locked down the
tonearm with the lift-lever in the up position. Now the tonearm won't
go down when I use the lever. The lever just springs back to the up
position and the tonearm doesn't budge.

Can I fix this myself?

Usually some sort of lubrication issue. Dual mechanisms are generally not
for the faint - of - heart, although IIRC the 604, a later model, may not be
too bad.

It's possible that the silicon-damped cueing cylinder needs to be
disassembled and repacked, although if there was a problem here it would
more often manifest itself with a lack of damping (going down too fast)
rather than your symptom of not lowering at all.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jerome Jerome is offline

Mark D. Zacharias wrote:

Jerome wrote:
I just unpacked my Dual 604 turntable after a few years of storage. I
had locked it down and everything, but I think I locked down the
tonearm with the lift-lever in the up position. Now the tonearm won't
go down when I use the lever. The lever just springs back to the up
position and the tonearm doesn't budge.

Can I fix this myself?

Usually some sort of lubrication issue. Dual mechanisms are generally not
for the faint - of - heart, although IIRC the 604, a later model, may not
be too bad.

It's possible that the silicon-damped cueing cylinder needs to be
disassembled and repacked, although if there was a problem here it would
more often manifest itself with a lack of damping (going down too fast)
rather than your symptom of not lowering at all.

Mark Z.

Thanks for the response. The problem seems to be in the "cueing-helper", a
feature that provided a tonearm "stop" for 33- and 45-rpm discs. If I turn
it off I can cue manually, or I can place the tonearm with it on, which
keeps the arm up, and then turn it off to let the tonearm drop. So I think
the problem is in the drop-lever mechanism - it is spongy and has no effect
on the height of the tonearm at all. I got the Service Manual PDF tonight
and will have a look.

ET2 Tonearm ScottW Audio Opinions 80 July 8th 06 08:17 AM
Dual 1215 Tonearm Adjustment MusicMan General 1 January 2nd 05 12:53 PM
VPI JMW 12.5 tonearm sidelarn Marketplace 2 August 27th 04 11:29 PM
Dual 8" vs single 10 or dual 10" Shriram Car Audio 2 February 3rd 04 10:15 PM
help wiring dual bandpass (Dual XB210D)to amp (Dual XAF460) ed Car Audio 1 December 31st 03 01:29 AM