Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Gordon MacPherson Gordon MacPherson is offline

Default Bookshelf spkrs for classical

Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

Thanks

Gordon

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
andy andy is offline

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

One thing I would recommend is to go listen, pay the extra and buy
locally. Messing about returning faulty mass produced consumer products
bought through the post is a pain. I currently end up returning about
10-20% of my consumer purchases as faulty/incompatible although to be
fair most of this is computer parts.

I recently went through a similar exercise for some bookshelf speakers
for the kitchen and was surprised at the large differences in nominally
similar looking speakers. I guess striving for neutrality is not a wise
business move in this sector. Perhaps another reason to go listen.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
DaveW DaveW is offline

Of those you've listed I would highly recommend the Monitor Audio RS1's. I
have a complete Monitor Audio home theater system with their floor speakers,
etc. They sound magnificent and have more detail and air and neutral
tonality than their equivalents in other brands that I auditioned, including
B&W's, etc. And, yes , I have listened to the RS1's at my local dealer. I
love them.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price range
is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the B&W DM602
S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have a medium
sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning towards the
Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

Thanks

Gordon

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Rich Wilson Rich Wilson is offline

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price range
is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the B&W DM602
S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have a medium
sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning towards the
Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

I'd avoid Wharfedale Diamonds. I tried some a while back and they make your
music sound surprisingly dull and lifeless. There didn't seem to be much
actually recognisably wrong with the sound but I found even my favourite
music sounded what I can only describe as "boring". After a few minutes I
really didn't want to listen any more.

As I remember I also tried Monitor Audios (can't remember which model) and
they were better. I'm still kicking myself for not trying the B&Ws. I
actually got Mission Volares (now renamed as the M60 series), which I'd say
are definitely worth a listen, particularly if you need small speakers that
sound much bigger than they really are. I imagine that for classical music
they'd be best paired with a fairly warm-sounding amp.

Hope that helps.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
harrogate3 harrogate3 is offline

"Gordon MacPherson" wrote in message
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of

the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I

have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

Thanks

Gordon

Don't leave out Neat, Tangent, KEF, or Tannoy, all of which make good
products, even if one is way overpriced!

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Chris Isbell Chris Isbell is offline

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:57:50 +0100, Gordon MacPherson
wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

You might like to listen to the Quad 11L speakers. I have a pair on my
secondary system and use them almost exclusively for classical music.

--
Chris Isbell
Southampton, UK
Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Rob Rob is offline

Gordon MacPherson wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

Thanks

Gordon

I'd suggest giving the Dynaudio 42s a listen - they were my choice after
listening to several competitors.

Rob
Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
duncan duncan is offline

"Rob" wrote in message
Gordon MacPherson wrote:
Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price range
is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the B&W DM602
S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have a medium
sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning towards the
Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

Thanks

Gordon

Yes Dynaudio are speakers to go for, I've had a pair of 42s which are
excellent. I regretted selling them but managed to buy a pair of Dynaudio
Contour 1.1 for £220 off ebay, which are even better.

Posted to rec.audio.misc,uk.rec.audio
Easynews Easynews is offline

wrote:

Hi,
I am looking for bookshelf speakers to play classical music. Price
range is up to 350 GBP (say 500 USD). I have heard good things of the
B&W DM602 S3, Epos M5, Monitor Audio RS1, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2. I have
a medium sized room (about 12x14 ft). At the moment I am leaning
towards the Monitor Audios.
Any other suggestions or opinions welcome

You might like to listen to the Quad 11L speakers. I have a pair on my
secondary system and use them almost exclusively for classical music.

--
Chris Isbell
Southampton, UK

I second that- or even better the Quad 12L, though a bit more pricey. These
have gone a bit "out of fashion" since the company moved production to
China- hence you can often pick up reduced deals in stores (or eBay). They
are fantastic speakers- I use mine to listen to classical, both CD and
vinyl. You need a decent pair of speaker stands and cables to get the most
out of them though, and they have to be set well away from the wall- so I
guess not really bookshelf as such.