Posted to rec.audio.misc
Geluso Geluso is offline

Default Stored XM Music

I want to buy a high-quality XM satellite tuner to connect to my
home stereo system. Until a few days ago, I was pretty set on
choosing the Polk XRt12 XM tuner for this purpose.

Doing last-minute research on the Internet, however, I noticed
several other XM receivers that have a feature that piqued my
interest (if it provides good quality). This feature allows the
storage of up to 50 hours of XM programming. Two of the receivers
that have this feature are the Samsung Helix and the Pioneer Inno.

My question is: Is the quality of this "recorded music" exactly the
same as "live music" from XM? (Perhaps the real issue is whether
the "recorded music" is compressed even more than the "live music.")

Since I am severely handicapped by cerebral palsy, it is next to
impossible for me to obtain the answer to this and other questions
by visiting stores, or other means. Therefore, I will truly
appreciate hearing your thoughts on this manner.

Thank you very, very much.
Bill Geluso

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Geluso" wrote in message
erio.net...
[...]

Since XM is digital, with the audio already being compressed, I'd think that
all these units are doing is saving the compressed audio directly into
memory. And these things look like the same unit to me.

http://www.xmradio.com/helix/index.jsp
http://www.xmradio.com/inno/

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Bill Kraski Bill Kraski is offline

Geluso wrote:

My question is: Is the quality of this "recorded music" exactly the
same as "live music" from XM? (Perhaps the real issue is whether
the "recorded music" is compressed even more than the "live music.")

Hi, Bill!

Maybe my own experience will help. My roommate had an XM car unit &
boombox, so I knew I liked the channels that carried my type of music.
I also wanted portable, which got me to buy a MyFi. I was also overdue
for a new stereo & decided to get a home theater audio system. So, I
ended up with an Onkyo receiver & Athena speakers. It included the
option to use a "connect & play" antenna to listen to XM. The result
was awesome.

Liking the recording feature of the Inno, I replaced my MyFi with the
Inno. A good move on my part. The Inno has better reception & audio
than the MyFi, plus the recording feature. As well, the home docking
system that comes with the Inno has a short cable that can be plugged
into a stereo to use the Inno as an audio source. The incoming audio
signal is lower than with the built in XM source & (maybe it's me) the
quality isn't quite as full as the built in XM tuner. But it's still
listenable and, since my receiver allows a 2nd audio source in a 2nd
room, allows me to have two different XM channels playing in different
places in my home.

--
Bill K

Fine (fee-nay), in the Italian sense Jenn High End Audio 90 December 3rd 05 05:55 PM
Heaven! Jenn High End Audio 225 November 22nd 05 01:23 AM
Ferstler on Soundstaging Howard Ferstler Audio Opinions 158 October 6th 04 08:57 PM
Voluntary Collective Licensing of Music File Sharing Greg Pro Audio 11 September 1st 04 03:29 PM
Comments regarding: Cables, Hearing, Stuff!! lcw999 High End Audio 405 April 29th 04 01:27 AM