Posted to rec.audio.misc
Debris Debris is offline

Default SACDs & The PC

Hello,

Just started purchasing my first Hybrid SACDs -- Dylan, Stones, DSoM, etc.

On a lark I popped Blood On The Tracks in the PC (the PC is about 2.5 years
old). The DVD-ROM player doesn't even recognize that there is a disc in the
drive, but the disc plays just fine on the CD-RW burner (I assume that it's
reading the CD / Red Book layer and ignoring the SACD layer). I checked and
the DVD-ROM driver is up to date.

Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong w/ the DVD-ROM?

I don't own any DVD-A's yet, but will they work at all?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

Debris wrote:
Hello,

Just started purchasing my first Hybrid SACDs -- Dylan, Stones, DSoM,
etc.
On a lark I popped Blood On The Tracks in the PC (the PC is about 2.5
years old). The DVD-ROM player doesn't even recognize that there is
a disc in the drive, but the disc plays just fine on the CD-RW burner
(I assume that it's reading the CD / Red Book layer and ignoring the
SACD layer). I checked and the DVD-ROM driver is up to date.

Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong w/ the DVD-ROM?

I don't own any DVD-A's yet, but will they work at all?

Thanks,

Part of the SACD specification is that they NOT play on computers, as I
understand it. Can't get a signal from the digital OUT of a standalone
player either.

Can't play SACD layers on either dive in my computer.

DVD-Audio no problem, so far.

Mark Z.

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Jeremy Gillow Jeremy Gillow is offline

Some CD or DVD players have trouble reading the Redbook audio layer on
Hybrid discs. Also, some hybrid discs are "harder" to read than others,
I've found. Most of my discs read fine in my Dell laptop and in my
desktop's Lite-On drive, but my Diana Krall hybrid disc will only read in an
old Sony CD-RW 8x unit that I bought back in 2001. The Redbook layer won't
even work in my Sony 775 DVD/SACD player. Same thing goes for the CD side
of DualDiscs, a lot of players have trouble reading them.

And of course the 5.1 layer is inaccessible on the computer. If you have a
SACD-only disc, you could connect the analog outputs of your SACD player and
record 2-channel through your sound card line-input, but you will lose any
benefits that the higher-quality SACD offered unless you can record higher
resolution than 44.1kHz/16bit. I actually did this with a couple of my
SACDs, because I wanted to be able to listen to the 2-channel version in the
car via iPod.

- Jeremy

"Debris" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,

Just started purchasing my first Hybrid SACDs -- Dylan, Stones, DSoM, etc.

On a lark I popped Blood On The Tracks in the PC (the PC is about 2.5
years old). The DVD-ROM player doesn't even recognize that there is a
disc in the drive, but the disc plays just fine on the CD-RW burner (I
assume that it's reading the CD / Red Book layer and ignoring the SACD
layer). I checked and the DVD-ROM driver is up to date.

Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong w/ the DVD-ROM?

I don't own any DVD-A's yet, but will they work at all?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.misc
DaveW DaveW is offline

No they will not work.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Debris" wrote in message
ink.net...
Hello,

Just started purchasing my first Hybrid SACDs -- Dylan, Stones, DSoM, etc.

On a lark I popped Blood On The Tracks in the PC (the PC is about 2.5
years old). The DVD-ROM player doesn't even recognize that there is a
disc in the drive, but the disc plays just fine on the CD-RW burner (I
assume that it's reading the CD / Red Book layer and ignoring the SACD
layer). I checked and the DVD-ROM driver is up to date.

Is this typical, or am I doing something wrong w/ the DVD-ROM?

I don't own any DVD-A's yet, but will they work at all?

Thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Debris Debris is offline

At the mention of laptop, I popped the disc into my laptop and what do you
know it worked fine. But it's probably because it's a combination DVD-ROM /
CD Burner.

I wanted to be able to listen to the 2-channel version in the car via iPod.

Same here. Fortunately all of the SACDs I've bought are the hybrid ones, so
I can rip the cd layer.

Even so, I must say my enthusiasm for SACD/DVDA is waning. At my local Best
Buy they're literally in the last bin in the back of the music section.
What's there looks like it's been picked over several times.

"Jeremy Gillow" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.misc
Kalman Rubinson Kalman Rubinson is offline

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:21:58 GMT, "Debris"
wrote:

Even so, I must say my enthusiasm for SACD/DVDA is waning. At my local Best
Buy they're literally in the last bin in the back of the music section.
What's there looks like it's been picked over several times.

The selection at BestBuy (at least in my neighborhood) has always been
minimal and uninteresting even when it was more prominent. The
internet vendors are the only way to go and they offer thousands.

Kal

Sale of SACDs, DVD-As, DVD-Vs, DualDiscs John Sunier Marketplace 0 June 20th 06 02:35 AM
Where do you buy your SACDs? WillBrink Audio Opinions 2 January 12th 06 05:00 PM
SACD's Multichannel and stereo AL High End Audio 2 January 7th 06 05:21 PM
Jazz SACD's? Michael High End Audio 8 December 10th 05 03:26 AM
Jazz suggestions- CDs and SACDs? Braxus High End Audio 11 December 9th 05 03:05 AM