raker raker is offline
Junior Member

Default Stylii advice needed

Hi,
I posted this in what I thought was another thread, but that seems to have been a moderated group. My mistake.

I'm new here so please forgive me if this question has been asked or answered before.
I have a Dual turntable model 506 which I'm fond of.
I need to replace the stylus but can't find an original anywhere and am faced with purchasing a copy.
The firm i see mentioned the most is 'The Diamond Stylus Company'
I maybe have an unreasonable predjudice here as the only two copy styluses I've bought in the past turned out to be useless. They were for a Sure cartridge in the 70's and were bought at Tandy.
I'm on a tight budget and live in Aberdeen where there are no second hand hi fi shops so basically my choices are
1. copy stylus
2. Somehow adapt the arm to take a cartridge with a standard 1/2" fitting
3. Goldring gr 1.2 turntable / debut iii

I feel there are too many possibilities for chaos with ebay so that's not an option.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated - the heart of the matter is to preserve my vinyl collection whilst still being able to enjoy it.
Raker
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Mark D. Zacharias Mark D. Zacharias is offline

raker wrote:
[...]

If it's a Dual with a non-standard cartridge mount, it must be an Ortofon
cartridge. I've recently been able to get them from Bluz Broz / Extreme
Audio in Florida. There should be some number on it like 10, 20, etc. If so
this would use an OM 10 , 20, etc stylus. The Ortofon Digitrac series can
also use these stylii. The 10 is WAY cheaper than the 20.

(954) 938-9889

Tell Alan that Mark at Electronic Wizards in Wichita KS said "Hi".

Mark Z.

raker raker is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark D. Zacharias
raker wrote:[color=blue][i]

If it's a Dual with a non-standard cartridge mount, it must be an Ortofon
cartridge. I've recently been able to get them from Bluz Broz / Extreme
Audio in Florida. There should be some number on it like 10, 20, etc. If so
this would use an OM 10 , 20, etc stylus. The Ortofon Digitrac series can
also use these stylii. The 10 is WAY cheaper than the 20.

(954) 938-9889

Tell Alan that Mark at Electronic Wizards in Wichita KS said "Hi".

Mark Z.

Thanks Mark.
I Live in Scotland so I'll probably try to find something more local first, to save postage etc.
Great tip about Ortofon - I'll email them today and see what they say.
Thanks
Raker