Marianelaine Marianelaine is offline
Junior Member

Question HELP needed by total audio novice!!

My mother, who is 95, plays the organ at church,which is one of the few joys in life she has at her age. Her problem is that even with hearing aids, she cannot hear the minister, as she is in the back of the church, so she does not know when she is to start playing the hymns. Is there some way we could get her headphones that could be connected to the microphone or the speakers in the church, so she could hear everything that is said by the minister? I am totally ignorant about audio setups, so if you could, please elaborate on what I would need to buy and how to set it up? Thank you so much, and my mother thanks you also!!!
Marianelaine
Posted to rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

Default HELP needed by total audio novice!!

Marianelaine writes:

My mother, who is 95, plays the organ at church,which is one of the few
joys in life she has at her age. Her problem is that even with hearing
aids, she cannot hear the minister, as she is in the back of the
church, so she does not know when she is to start playing the hymns. Is
there some way we could get her headphones that could be connected to
the microphone or the speakers in the church, so she could hear
everything that is said by the minister? I am totally ignorant about
audio setups, so if you could, please elaborate on what I would need to
buy and how to set it up? Thank you so much, and my mother thanks you
also!!!
Marianelaine

Wireless in-ear monitors to the rescue. Transmitter box plugs into
the PA output, tranmits via RF to a small beltpack receiver powered by
a 9V battery. Headphones plug into this beltpack. The system comes
with the Shure E2 in-ear headphones, but if she prefers traditional
headphones she could use those too.

http://www.shure.com/ProAudio/Produc...PSM200_content

Sam Ash appears to have a rather aggressive price on it right
now--$350. I'm used to seeing around $500 for this item.

My band uses this system, though we opted for upgraded earbuds for our
use in loud ambient environments. Your mother should be fine withthe
earbuds.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to rec.audio.misc
James James is offline

Is it not possible to run an audio wire from the PA output directly to the
organ location, so that she would have a direct feed from the PA output?
Someone would have to show you the correct output and you may also need an
adaptor.

If it is practical to actually run an audio wire (very small wire) to the
location of the organ, she would have a direct feed from the audio source
itself. BTW, you could buy the wire itself from Radio Shack, typically in
25 ft lengths, with appropriate plugs on each end.

It all depends on the church setup, and whether is is practical to run a
wire.

The idea about the wireless hookup with the wireless radio rf signal is very
neat and would work pefectly, but is quite expensive.

Post back to us please.

--James--

Posted to rec.audio.misc
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

James wrote:
Is it not possible to run an audio wire from the PA output directly to the
organ location, so that she would have a direct feed from the PA output?
Someone would have to show you the correct output and you may also need an
adaptor.

If it is practical to actually run an audio wire (very small wire) to the
location of the organ, she would have a direct feed from the audio source
itself. BTW, you could buy the wire itself from Radio Shack, typically in
25 ft lengths, with appropriate plugs on each end.

It all depends on the church setup, and whether is is practical to run a
wire.

The idea about the wireless hookup with the wireless radio rf signal is very
neat and would work pefectly, but is quite expensive.

Post back to us please.

--James--

Most churches (even my little 400+ congregation) has a system for the
hard of hearing. It usually consists of a current loop
transmitter/receiver.

Are you sure you don't have the same?

jak

Posted to rec.audio.misc
James James is offline

Another idea (and cheaper than the rf transmitter) would be to install a
pair of wireless headphones. Whether or not this would be a good solutions
would likely depend on two factors:

1. How far is it from the PA system to the organ.

2. What brand and quality of wireless headphoes you use. I have tried some
wireless headphones that were not worth a hoot beyond 15 feet. That was
some time ago, and perhaps they are better made now, or perhaps the pair I
had were cheap.

I think you could likely get the wireless headphones i the $100 range.

--James--

Marianelaine Marianelaine is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianelaine
My mother, who is 95, plays the organ at church,which is one of the few joys in life she has at her age. Her problem is that even with hearing aids, she cannot hear the minister, as she is in the back of the church, so she does not know when she is to start playing the hymns. Is there some way we could get her headphones that could be connected to the microphone or the speakers in the church, so she could hear everything that is said by the minister? I am totally ignorant about audio setups, so if you could, please elaborate on what I would need to buy and how to set it up? Thank you so much, and my mother thanks you also!!!
Marianelaine
Thank you to all of you who have replied with suggestions. Our church does not have the headphones for the hard of hearing, but others in our community do, so we will check that out, and also will check into the wireless headphone or the wire from the mike idea. I appreciate very much all of your answers! Marianelaine