Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bruce W.1 Bruce W.1 is offline

Default Portable speaker recommendations?

I'm looking for a portable speaker system to use with an iPod, CD
player, or whatever. This speaker system would live primarily in my
airline luggage and hotels.

There are hundreds of small speaker systems made for iPods. Few would
survive the airline guerillas. And most are of silly designs.

Ideally it would have a subwoofer and two speakers that can be spread
out (using wires). The speaker faces would be protected during travel.
It does not need to run on batteries.

The only thing I've found so far is the "Think Outside Boomtube":
http://www.thinkoutside.com/products...1_product.html
but its reviews are less than stellar. And it could be a little bigger.

Can anyone recommend a good sounding speaker system for travel?

Thanks for your help.
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Todd H. wrote:
"Bruce W.1" writes:
I'm looking for a portable speaker system to use with an iPod, CD
player, or whatever. This speaker system would live primarily in my
airline luggage and hotels.

Can anyone recommend a good sounding speaker system for travel?

Think less in terms of ipod speakers and more in terms of computer
speakers, and you'll find plenty of options.

You mention a subwoofer which... seems at odds with the whole luggage
thing. How much luggage real estate are you willing to part with?

No, think in terms of *powered* speakers and you'll have half a chance
at getting something you can live with....

jak

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

jakdedert writes:

Todd H. wrote:
"Bruce W.1" writes:
I'm looking for a portable speaker system to use with an iPod, CD
player, or whatever. This speaker system would live primarily in my
airline luggage and hotels.

Can anyone recommend a good sounding speaker system for travel?

Think less in terms of ipod speakers and more in terms of computer
speakers, and you'll find plenty of options. You mention a subwoofer
which... seems at odds with the whole luggage
thing. How much luggage real estate are you willing to part with?

No, think in terms of *powered* speakers and you'll have half a chance
at getting something you can live with....

Ooh, I found the pedant/audiophile! Can I play? I mean, assuming
we've got mp3's coming out of the ipod, clearly we don't give that
much a crap about fidelity, so what's the point anyway, right?

Seriously, you can find computer speakers very competitively priced
that sound nice. I personally like the Altec Lansing MX5021 2.1
Multimedia Speakers (sold and marketed as computer speakers and
costing under $140) but the sub would take up about half of my large
suitcase.

If you want "powered speakers" or "ipod speakers" you open the
gates to inflated prices without necessarily things sounding any
better, and no much in the "powered speaker" category is terribly
compact either.

Best Regards,
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc

BW- [Wed, 06 Sep 2006 20:26:27 GMT]:
I'm looking for a portable speaker system to use with an iPod, CD

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/s...gory=port_spkr

or headphones, maybe with a BT interface (but
not Logitech). Comfy phones like the HD-590,
which I've seen for as little as $125 closeout,
may be even better (how to box/transport).

--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for mobiles

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
enoch enoch is offline

jakdedert wrote:
Todd H. wrote:
"Bruce W.1" writes:
I'm looking for a portable speaker system to use with an iPod, CD
player, or whatever. This speaker system would live primarily in my
airline luggage and hotels.

Can anyone recommend a good sounding speaker system for travel?

Think less in terms of ipod speakers and more in terms of computer
speakers, and you'll find plenty of options.

You mention a subwoofer which... seems at odds with the whole luggage
thing. How much luggage real estate are you willing to part with?

No, think in terms of *powered* speakers and you'll have half a chance
at getting something you can live with....

jak

Computer speakers ARE powered speakers almost exclusively. It's true.
You must think outside the iPod (trap). Basically any three piece
system with an eighth inch mini jack will workdirectly from the
headphone out on the iPod.. SOooooooooooo computers are the way to go
as there are a plethora of them to choose from.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc

enoch wrote:
jakdedert wrote:
Todd H. wrote:
"Bruce W.1" writes:
[...]

There may be a 'plethora' of them; but that does not make the vast
majority of them any good. You seem to support the idea of thinking
outside the box (trap); but just jump right into another box (trap).

The OP is looking for a pair of boxes to put in his suitcase. He may,
indeed, find a suitable pair of 'computer' speakers, if he shops wisely.
However, the majority of units marketed as such have little in the way
of documented specifications.

jak

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

jakdedert writes:

The OP is looking for a pair of boxes to put in his suitcase. He may,
indeed, find a suitable pair of 'computer' speakers, if he shops
wisely. However, the majority of units marketed as such have little in
the way of documented specifications.

But then again, anyone who shops for speakers based on specifications
rather than an actual listening test deserves what they get.

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc

Todd H. wrote:
jakdedert writes:

The OP is looking for a pair of boxes to put in his suitcase. He may,
indeed, find a suitable pair of 'computer' speakers, if he shops
wisely. However, the majority of units marketed as such have little in
the way of documented specifications.

But then again, anyone who shops for speakers based on specifications
rather than an actual listening test deserves what they get.

We could pointlessly bat this back & forth for the next couple of weeks.
Nobody ever suggested buying speakers without listening to them.
However, marketers who sell speakers with no verifiable specs, sell
products which are rarely worth auditioning.

jak

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Todd H. Todd H. is offline

jakdedert writes:

Todd H. wrote:
jakdedert writes:

The OP is looking for a pair of boxes to put in his suitcase. He may,
indeed, find a suitable pair of 'computer' speakers, if he shops
wisely. However, the majority of units marketed as such have little in
the way of documented specifications.

But then again, anyone who shops for speakers based on specifications
rather than an actual listening test deserves what they get.

We could pointlessly bat this back & forth for the next couple of
weeks. Nobody ever suggested buying speakers without listening to
them. However, marketers who sell speakers with no verifiable specs,
sell products which are rarely worth auditioning.

My experience differs. Especially in the nutty world of computer
speakers, you can get lucky and get some decent sounding stuff for
little money. And speaker specs are typically not terribly
verifiable or real anyway!

Given the size limitations the OP is dealing with, the best bang for
his buck is probably going to be in the computer speaker realm.
Heading down to compusa or the like and finding a working speaker
display (not an easy task) may prove worthwhile (then perhaps buying
them at newegg.com!).

--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | Todd H
\ / | http://www.toddh.net/
X Promoting good netiquette | http://triplethreatband.com/
/ \ http://www.toddh.net/netiquette/ | http://myspace.com/mytriplethreatband

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Jeff Findley Jeff Findley is offline

"Todd H." wrote in message
jakdedert writes:

The OP is looking for a pair of boxes to put in his suitcase. He may,
indeed, find a suitable pair of 'computer' speakers, if he shops
wisely. However, the majority of units marketed as such have little in
the way of documented specifications.

But then again, anyone who shops for speakers based on specifications
rather than an actual listening test deserves what they get.

Worst case, find a local computer store that has a good return policy (i.e.
no questions asked, no restocking fee) and keep trying until you find ones
you like. :-)

Seriously though, decent computer stores will have their computer speakers
in a working display so you can actually listen to them before you buy them.
I know the local Micro Center store does.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bill Kraski Bill Kraski is offline

Bruce W.1 wrote:

Ideally it would have a subwoofer and two speakers that can be spread
out (using wires). The speaker faces would be protected during
travel. It does not need to run on batteries.

As you've seen, your request has gotten some interesting discussion.
The idea of using computer speakers from the headset port is a good
one. One poster suggested Cambridge Soundworks. They make some good
stuff. Also look at Boston Acoustic & Altec Lansing -- both make
systems with a sub & both have reps for good sound quality.

--
Bill K
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bruce W.1 Bruce W.1 is offline

Bill Kraski wrote:
Bruce W.1 wrote:

Ideally it would have a subwoofer and two speakers that can be spread
out (using wires). The speaker faces would be protected during
travel. It does not need to run on batteries.

As you've seen, your request has gotten some interesting discussion.
The idea of using computer speakers from the headset port is a good
one. One poster suggested Cambridge Soundworks. They make some good
stuff. Also look at Boston Acoustic & Altec Lansing -- both make
systems with a sub & both have reps for good sound quality.

I've narrowed it down to these speakers:

Edifier MP300
Maxell 190022
Miglia Diva 2.1
Offspring Tech SPKSW1
Jasco 2.1
Sony SRS-Z30
Sony SRS-DZ10
Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0
Altec Lansing IM4
Creative GigaWorks T20
Altec Lansing XT1
ezSound 2.1
Altec Lansing MX-5021
Hercules XPS 210 Classic V3
SI Gen2 SI-5

But really I was hoping to get some personal experience with any of these.

Retail stores have been a big dissapointment because they are not set up
for listening.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bill Kraski Bill Kraski is offline

Bruce W.1 wrote:

I know nothing about the following speakers.

Edifier MP300
Maxell 190022
Miglia Diva 2.1
Offspring Tech SPKSW1
Jasco 2.1

I don't support any company that'll try to put a rootkit on my pc. So,
no Sony.

Sony SRS-Z30
Sony SRS-DZ10

The next one seems (at least pricewise) not in the same league as the
others. And, with Klipsch's rep as a speaker maker, probably
understandable. If these are seriously in your list, then check out
the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II. Similar price range & great reviews,
even in some audio magazines.

Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0

The whole IM series seem to be designed to make small portable
electronics more boombox like. And each unit has a proprietary slot
for the particular player it's made for. So, unless you have only one
item you need speakers for & are willing to eliminate being able to
separate the speakers, this one's not a likely choice.

Altec Lansing IM4

Again, not familiar with most of the next batch.

Creative GigaWorks T20
Altec Lansing XT1
ezSound 2.1
Altec Lansing MX-5021
Hercules XPS 210 Classic V3
SI Gen2 SI-5

But really I was hoping to get some personal experience with any of
these.

I had a set of Radio Shack speakers that I used for awhile. No sub,
but decent sound. But I eventually went in the opposite direction from
what you're going in. For better than 10 years, my pc audio has been
fed through whatever audio system I have -- much more satisfying.

Retail stores have been a big dissapointment because they are not set
up for listening.

They'll usually have some of them on display. And asking nicely might
get the right sales rep to hook one or more up to a source to hear what
they sound like.

With the fact that you want portability, the requirement of 2.1 instead
of 2 is a hindrance. Although the subs on these are smaller than the
home system equivalents, the sub is still *much* bigger than the other
speakers combined & not all that easy to pack without adding extra
luggage.

--
Bill K
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bruce W.1 Bruce W.1 is offline

Bill Kraski wrote:
Bruce W.1 wrote:

[...]

I forgot one, the Virgin Boomtube.

The Creative GigaWorks T20 and the Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 2.0 are both
good 2.0 speakers but might be a little big for airline travel. Plus
they don't have rugged protection for the speaker cones.

The Edifier MP300 sounds good and travels well so this is a prime
contender. This is sold at RadioShack but a guy on eBay sells them
less. The only downside of this speaker system is its volume is not
very loud, which is probably a good thing in a hotel.

Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc

Bruce W.1 wrote:

I forgot one, the Virgin Boomtube.

The Edifier MP300 sounds good and travels well so this is a prime
contender. This is sold at RadioShack but a guy on eBay sells them
less. The only downside of this speaker system is its volume is not
very loud, which is probably a good thing in a hotel.

These are basically the same physical configuration. From the reviews
I've seen, it's Boomtube over Edifier. And Boomtube only if you get
the EX. And, even then, try 'em for a period first before committing
-- there is enough shrillness to this style configuration that none of
the reviewers wanted to keep using any of them more than a few days.

--
Bill K
Posted to alt.audio.equipment,rec.audio.misc
Bruce W.1 Bruce W.1 is offline

Bill Kraski wrote:
Bruce W.1 wrote:

I forgot one, the Virgin Boomtube.

The Edifier MP300 sounds good and travels well so this is a prime
contender. This is sold at RadioShack but a guy on eBay sells them
less. The only downside of this speaker system is its volume is not
very loud, which is probably a good thing in a hotel.

These are basically the same physical configuration. From the reviews
I've seen, it's Boomtube over Edifier. And Boomtube only if you get
the EX. And, even then, try 'em for a period first before committing
-- there is enough shrillness to this style configuration that none of
the reviewers wanted to keep using any of them more than a few days.

At home I pump my PC audio to my stereo of course.

I'm looking for a road-warrior speaker system. If they made a speaker
systems for the U.S. Marine Corps. this is what I'd want.

I forgot about the Sony rootkit, and I have other reasons to be peeved
at Sony too so scratch Sony.

Recording an interview in digital format - portable device recommendations wanted Ben Henley General 3 May 21st 06 09:41 PM
Recording an interview in digital format - portable device recommendations wanted Ben Henley Tech 3 May 21st 06 03:50 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Cheap 6.5" car speaker recommendations? Wesley Hunt Car Audio 18 April 17th 04 11:50 PM
Cheap 6.5" car speaker recommendations? Wesley Hunt Audio Opinions 9 April 14th 04 02:42 AM