Ray Howell

Default Tonearm cable for SME-V

Can anyone recomend a good, moderately priced phono cable for this tonearm.
I am not too experienced with this sort of thing but the original van den
hul connector is apparently bad, causing a hum. Turntable is a sota nova.
Thanks!
Mr. Finsky

I also have a Sota Nova, but with an Audioquest PT-9 tonearm. If your
connection is under the table, you should try to get a very flexible
cable. You do not want the cable to rest on the TT stand or shelf. This
would hamper the suspension of the turntable. If I recall, when the
Audioquest arm was reviewed in Stereophile, the arm could be purchased
with different cables. The quality of the cable made a huge difference
in the sound quality. I am certain this still holds true. Personally, I
recommend an Audioquest cable as they carry a lifetime warranty. If you
have problems like your current dilemna, you can ship the cable back to
Audioquest for replacement or repair. Good luck!! Of course, you can
try The Needle Doctor as they carry a wide selection of cables for the
analog lover and will offer suggestions over the phone.
michael

Mr. Finsky wrote:

If I recall, when the
Audioquest arm was reviewed in Stereophile, the arm could be purchased
with different cables. The quality of the cable made a huge difference
in the sound quality. I am certain this still holds true. Personally, I
recommend an Audioquest cable as they carry a lifetime warranty.

If mere cable makes such a "huge" difference in sound quality, why would
someone want or need a "lifetime" warranty? We know it's just a matter
of time (the interval between issues of TAS or Stereophile) before a new
cable that "blows away" the former will be discovered and reported on.
In such an environment who in their right mind would want to keep a
cable more than a year, or so? I mean, what self respecting audiophile
wants last years cable sullying their music?

michael