mikej

Default JM Lab Chorus 714S

I bought a pair of these yesterday. Got 'em home, hooked 'em up, one of
'em has no bass.

I unscrewed one of the drivers, and it come right off, without the magnet.
Half of the plastic basket still attached to the speaker; the other half
broke right off. I checked on the other driver, same thing. Half the
basket broke right off, lying inside the box.

I looked at JML's web site. Info there (
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/chorusS/tek_hp.htm ) indicates that the
woofer baskets are made of an alloy called Zamak. Two baskets are shown.
One black, like on my speaker, which is plastic; and one silver. The black
one looks like mine.

Plastic? Can this be for real?

I don't feel so hot about these speakers any more.

Mike

Gene Poon

mikej wrote:

I bought a pair of these yesterday. Got 'em home, hooked 'em up, one of
'em has no bass.

I unscrewed one of the drivers, and it come right off, without the magnet.
Half of the plastic basket still attached to the speaker; the other half
broke right off. I checked on the other driver, same thing. Half the
basket broke right off, lying inside the box.

I looked at JML's web site. Info there (
http://www.focal.tm.fr/gb/home/chorusS/tek_hp.htm ) indicates that the
woofer baskets are made of an alloy called Zamak. Two baskets are shown.
One black, like on my speaker, which is plastic; and one silver. The black
one looks like mine.

Plastic? Can this be for real?

I don't feel so hot about these speakers any more.

Some current Snell models have plastic-basket woofers, too; and yes, I
have seen them with the magnet broken clean off. I would venture a
guess that the European vendor supplying the drivers has a quality
control problem.

-Gene Poon