Steve

Default Magnaplanar MG 3.3 Imaging Problems.

Does anyone out there know how to get these damn things to image solidly
at anything other than Dead Centre. It is like sitting between a bubble
spirit level, any slight move to either side and the image skews to that
side..especially on male vocal center stage. I have had various cone
speakers of good merit, Celestion, Kef, Meridian and Spendor to name but
a few and they just don't do this. The actual tonal balance and sound
quality of the Maggies is sublime....the ability to cast a solid image
anywhere other that absolute dead center is , frankly, appalling. I have
tried them everywhere around the lounge, all to no avail. Is this a
characteristic of these speakers?, and yes I did listen before buying
.....in the hi-fi shop ....where I was, surprise..surprise ...sat dead
centre...has anyone out there got a pair of these and can listen off
center without the singer immediatly throwing him/ her self into the
speaker which they have inched to? and yes they are all in phase and all
the fuses are good and all the ribbon units are working, I checked about
a hundred times already. I have tried toe in, toe out, moving away and
closer from me , closer together and further apart...Tweeter ribbons
inside and outside. Failing getting them to image, an alternative
suggestion maybe ? which sounds like the Maggies and can at least
attempt to image?
Thanks Guys n Gals

Stewart Pinkerton

On 14 Jan 2005 20:31:17 GMT, Steve wrote:

Does anyone out there know how to get these damn things to image solidly
at anything other than Dead Centre. It is like sitting between a bubble
spirit level, any slight move to either side and the image skews to that
side..especially on male vocal center stage.

In my experience, this is a feature of all *reall* good imaging
speakers. Think about the physics involved, and you'll see that the
bisector is the *only* place where you can maintain correct phase
relationships at all frequencies.

I have had various cone
speakers of good merit, Celestion, Kef, Meridian and Spendor to name but
a few and they just don't do this.

That's because they don't image accurately *anywhere*. Try it with say
KEF Q1s, and you'll notice a big difference.

The actual tonal balance and sound
quality of the Maggies is sublime....the ability to cast a solid image
anywhere other that absolute dead center is , frankly, appalling.

As with ultra-sharp camera lenses, any movement away from the plane of
focus is very obvious. With soft-focus lenses, however..............

I have
tried them everywhere around the lounge, all to no avail. Is this a
characteristic of these speakers?

Yes, and of all other large line-source planars (I have Apogee Duetta
Signatures)

, and yes I did listen before buying
....in the hi-fi shop ....where I was, surprise..surprise ...sat dead
centre...has anyone out there got a pair of these and can listen off
center without the singer immediatly throwing him/ her self into the
speaker which they have inched to? and yes they are all in phase and all
the fuses are good and all the ribbon units are working, I checked about
a hundred times already. I have tried toe in, toe out, moving away and
closer from me , closer together and further apart...Tweeter ribbons
inside and outside. Failing getting them to image, an alternative
suggestion maybe ? which sounds like the Maggies and can at least
attempt to image?

Try placing them touching the back wall at a 45 degree angle, with the
tweeters on the outside edges. This works very well for me, makes the
speakers much less obtrusive, and evens up the far-field bass. See my
page on http://www.lurcher.org/ukra/ for an illustration.

Steve

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

What is the wall behind them? Maggies, being dipoles, depend for
their sound on the rear radiation that is reflected back at you off
the rear wall.

Kal

Hi Kal.
The wall behind is a standard breeze block wall with plaster / paper
covering, about 3 ft behind them. I tried them closer to the wall but
this mucked up the sound and didnt change the image much at all. When
sitting dead center it is gorgeous, but only at dead, absolute centre.

[...]

Gary Eickmeier

Steve wrote:
[...]

This will happen if the environs around them are too dead or if you find
yourself in the radiation pattern of the nearer speaker much stronger
than the other.

On the first problem, you should not have a lot of sound killing
materials on the walls around the speakers. In an extreme case, the
precedence effect will cause all of the imaging to be from the nearer
speaker. You decrease this problem somewhat if you can decrease the
ratio of direct sound from the speaker.

On the second problem, you can toe in the speakers toward the center, so
that you are more in the direct pattern of the farther speaker and less
in the pattern of the nearer speaker when you go off-center.

Place the speakers well away from the front and side walls, ideally at a
spot that is 1/4 of the room width out from the front wall and in from
the side walls. For example, in a 16 ft wide room, place them 4 ft out
and 4 ft from the side walls, which would be 8 ft apart. Toe them in to
make a mono source image stay put in the center as you walk across, and
you should have it.

I know these speakers should image well, and I also know you are
probably going crazy because there are so many variables in setting up
speakers it's hard to know where to start. I hope my suggestions will
help. Start there, and then branch out to experiment.

Gary Eickmeier

Uptown Audio

That is the classic scenario for planar speakers and is why I don't
care for them. The better ones sound nice as long as you are seated
and in the sweet spot laterally, but then they just make for a smooth
sounding mono system at other locations. At least the larger types can
deliver some bass and dynamics. A nice pair of dynamic speakers will
cure that to a large degree. Dispersion is the term used to describe
the radiation pattern of the speakers and planar speakers have a very
narrow horizontal dispersion pattern, so much so that the effect you
describe is called "beaming" by many. Another limitation of them is
often available power.
-Bill
www.uptownaudio.com
Roanoke VA
(540) 343-1250

"Steve" wrote in message
Kalman Rubinson wrote:

[...]

Joseph Oberlander

Uptown Audio wrote:

That is the classic scenario for planar speakers and is why I don't
care for them. The better ones sound nice as long as you are seated
and in the sweet spot laterally, but then they just make for a smooth
sounding mono system at other locations.

One way to fix this is to orient them sideways, but that
only works if it is a single panel design. Magnepan's
little $350 speakers are like this.

Or, get one that is curved a bit.
Kalman Rubinson

On 15 Jan 2005 16:24:07 GMT, Steve wrote:

Kalman Rubinson wrote:

What is the wall behind them? Maggies, being dipoles, depend for
their sound on the rear radiation that is reflected back at you off
the rear wall.

Kal

Hi Kal.
The wall behind is a standard breeze block wall with plaster / paper
covering, about 3 ft behind them. I tried them closer to the wall but
this mucked up the sound and didnt change the image much at all. When
sitting dead center it is gorgeous, but only at dead, absolute centre.

As Outsor has suggested, you should try experimenting with diffusion
materials (not absorption) behind/between the Maggies. The price of
widening the sweet spot might, however, be less specificity in the
middle.

Kal
Philip Procter

[...]

I've owned 3.3r's for many years and several rooms. I love them but,
there is one place in the room they sound magical. You can move that
spot around, but not spread it out much.

They sound OK elsewhere but once you've sat in the sweet spot, you'll
never settle for anyplace else.

Oh, BTW, I have learned to tweak the recording by moving my chair
closer or further from the speakers. Makes a big difference in
presentation and adds several degrees of audiophilia nerversa.

Philip
Norman M. Schwartz

"Philip Procter" wrote in message
Does anyone out there know how to get these damn things to image solidly
at anything other than Dead Centre. It is like sitting between a bubble
spirit level, any slight move to either side and the image skews to that
side..especially on male vocal center stage. I've owned 3.3r's for many
years and several rooms. I love them but,

there is one place in the room they sound magical. You can move that
spot around, but not spread it out much.

They sound OK elsewhere but once you've sat in the sweet spot, you'll
never settle for anyplace else.

Oh, BTW, I have learned to tweak the recording by moving my chair
closer or further from the speakers. Makes a big difference in
presentation and adds several degrees of audiophilia nerversa.

Whole heatedly agreed.
I've listened to and owned a variety of 6 and 8 panel Tympanis for over 30
years in 3 residences including that of a friend.
Using the equilateral triangle methodology, the larger Maggies are more
forgiving of a pin-point sweet spot than are most , if not *all* other
loudspeakers. If you are trying to let a friend hear exactly what you hear
you must get out of your chair to let him/her into it. I've tried moving my
chair further/closer to the loudspeakers as does Mr. Proctor. Tape a long
string, rope, speaker cable, or whatever to dead center of your listening
chair and adjust its distance so that its equal to the distance to the exact
center of the L/R ribbon tweeters and you will be in a heaven that
absolutely no other speaker will provide. Forget about enlarging the area of
the sweet spot, how many seats can you occupy at the same time? :-)