Default Time correction

My car player (head unit) got a function known as time correction for
each speaker. (You see that in AV receiver, too)

According to the manual, the function is used to synchronize speakers
so that each is equal distance (virtually) from the listener. The
manual went on to state that if the listener desire to have the
speakers to be shifted further all we have to is increase the delay
time for each speakers.

How can that be possible? Let's say I am closer to right speaker by 1
meter- and to offset the different distance between left and right
speaker, I delayed the signal of my right speaker by say "x"
millisecond. Now theoretically, both signals should arrive my ears at
the same time because according to the manual the adjustment of time
delay would virtually place the right speakers 1 meter further than it
should be. Okay, that makes sense.

Now, if I delay my left speaker by say 14 times "x" millisecond
and my right speakers 15 times "x" millisecond, then can I say that
I have virtually shifted both speakers 14 meters further away?
Drew Eckhardt

In article , wrote:
Now, if I delay my left speaker by say 14 times "x" millisecond
and my right speakers 15 times "x" millisecond, then can I say that
I have virtually shifted both speakers 14 meters further away?

The sounds will arrive at the same time as if you shifted both speakers
14 meters which is not the same thing because it's not changing the
ratio of direct to reverberant sound or distance to boundaries as if
you physically moved the speakers.

Such time delays are only going to be relevant if you're trying
to synchronize with pictures. People are much less tolerant of
sound arriving before pictures than they are pictures before
sound which happens in nature as you move farther from the
speaker.

This also means that delays of that magnitude are useful when you have
video processing (notably conversion between interlaced and progressive)
that's delaying the picture.

--
a href="http://www.poohsticks.org/drew/"Home Page/a
9/11 was a premptive attack

Gary Eickmeier wrote:-

And if you delay playing the CD for 10 seconds, all speakers will be

10
more feet away from you...

Yeah, I guessed so much. My audio guy who happens to be some sort of
authority in car audio system insist otherwise. The manual's picture
was confusing and another three of them claiming better separation,
isolation and space and etc, etc..
I hate it when I can't hear the diff but others can.
Gary Eickmeier

Gary Eickmeier wrote:

And if you delay playing the CD for 10 seconds, all speakers will be 10
more feet away from you...

Whoops - make that 10,000 feet. Sound travels a foot every millisecond,
or thousandth of a second. Sheesh.

Gary Eickmeier

Drew Eckhardt wrote:-

The sounds will arrive at the same time as if you shifted both speakers
14 meters which is not the same thing because it's not changing the
ratio of direct to reverberant sound or distance to boundaries as if
you physically moved the speakers.

Thanks for making it clear. So can I call it a big bluff when people
insist they hear a difference?

Pete KE9OA

Could be...............years ago, I worked for a place called Sound and
Stagecraft. They used to use these tap delay lines for large venues. I can
see how they would delay the sound of the front speakers in relation to the
mid and rear venue speakers so that you wouldn't hear the similar type of
echos that you hear on the shortwave bands when a broadcast signal is
received via the short path and the long path the other way around the
world. Still, one would think that this would be applicable to only seating
position, in your case. Is it worth it? Who knows? Don't forget about the
400 dollar volume control knob!

Pete

wrote in message ...
Drew Eckhardt wrote:-

The sounds will arrive at the same time as if you shifted both speakers
14 meters which is not the same thing because it's not changing the
ratio of direct to reverberant sound or distance to boundaries as if
you physically moved the speakers.

Thanks for making it clear. So can I call it a big bluff when people
insist they hear a difference?

Still, one would think that this would be applicable to only seating
position, in your case. Is it worth it? Who knows? Don't forget about

the
400 dollar volume control knob!

In my car, I think it is a must. At normal listening level I do hear
the rear speakers (with the front mute). There is a slight different
between rear speakers on and off. For some music I prefer with the rear
off but for some - on. I am not sure but just taking what's should be
the correct way to listen to stereo sound. Eliminate the rear speakers
for perfect stereo.

Regarding the knob, havent't tried one but once I used to use Solid
brass cone pointed at the knob but couldn't really tell the diff. I
read somewhere that volume control, fius and other switch are all
potential cause for sound distortion because of vibration but who
cares. that's why some people eliminates fius but who cares!. For me
High End is a hobby if I got the money and time I play around with my
toys. Do I hear a diff? You guess is as good as mine.