Rob Wolf

Default Alesis Quadraverb amnesia...

I have an Alesis Quadraverb (yes, I know it's ancient). The problem I'm
having is that it can't remember anything on a power cycle - it comes up
with garbage for all settings (rubbish ascii characters for patch names,
etc.) If I reset the unit (factory reset) when I turn it on, it's fine and
works as expected, but I can't change anything and come back the next day or
it's lost.

I've hunted the web, and found the Quadraverb 2 has a battery that can be
changed, but no mention for the Quadraverb. I've opened it up, and if
there's a battery in it, I can't see where it would be.

Anyone have any ideas or encountered this before? Thanks in the advance for
the "throw that crap out and buy something new" solutions. My friends have
already suggested the obvious, but even if I did, I'd like to fix this thing
(you can never have too many effects).

Thx in advance for any help...

Scott Dorsey

Rob Wolf wrote:

I've hunted the web, and found the Quadraverb 2 has a battery that can be
changed, but no mention for the Quadraverb. I've opened it up, and if
there's a battery in it, I can't see where it would be.

You sure there is no soldered-in battery? Probably a quarter-sized thing,
or maybe a silver thing the size of a pencil eraser with two leads spotwelded
to each side?

I think this is too earlier a unit to use an ultracapacitor, but find the
static ram chip and look for something nearby that looks like a cap but has
a 1F rating on it or something in that ballpark.

You can always take it to a tech.
Kendall

"Rob Wolf" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Where are you located? If you are in Los Angeles, I can open it up for you
and look, and then point it out for you. I won't even charge you very much.
Now, if you want me to actually change it for you, (which may be necessary,
depending on your skills), I'll only charge a little more. They usually
aren't too hard to change, but sometimes it is a bit difficult to source the
correct battery.

Kendall

Ricky W. Hunt

"Rob Wolf" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

If worse comes to worse and you can't fix it (and have a MIDI port) I have a
freeware program for the Quadraverb you could use.

Gareth Magennis

Very important to make sure you get the right type though. I think these
are Lithium - not rechargeable. NiCads will not work.

Gareth.

"Rob Wolf" wrote in message
Thanks to all for their replies. Yes, it's a purple and black thing; I
was
looking for the flat variety and didn't see it, even though it's by far
the
biggest thing on the board. Ah, well. I yanked it an shall replace it
tomorrow.

Thanks Again (and god bless the net),
Rob

Rob Wolf

I went down to radio shack and got the exact same make & model of
rechargable, wired it in, powered up, and all seems to be well. It's a 1/2
AA Tadiran 3.6V high energy lithium battery, model TL-5101.

Thanks again,
Rob

"Rob Wolf" wrote in message
Thanks to all for their replies. Yes, it's a purple and black thing; I
was
looking for the flat variety and didn't see it, even though it's by far
the
biggest thing on the board. Ah, well. I yanked it an shall replace it
tomorrow.

Thanks Again (and god bless the net),
Rob

Scott Dorsey

Rob Wolf wrote:
I went down to radio shack and got the exact same make & model of
rechargable, wired it in, powered up, and all seems to be well. It's a 1/2
AA Tadiran 3.6V high energy lithium battery, model TL-5101.

That is not a rechargeable battery. It will eventually run down (as it did
the last time), so expect to change it again before the decade is out.