geezerMPC

Default 70s flute sound

Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.
Scott Dorsey

geezerMPC wrote:
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

You mean the Herbie Mann sound? Try an EV 664, 666, 676, or one of
those series cheap dynamics that have no presence peak. Get up close.
Beyond that it's all playing technique.

Richard Crowley

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
geezerMPC wrote:
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

You mean the Herbie Mann sound? Try an EV 664, 666, 676, or one of
those series cheap dynamics that have no presence peak. Get up close.
Beyond that it's all playing technique.

Wasn't it also sometimes an alto flute or even a bass flute?

Speaking of that. I came across my 2-LP set of the JBL
"Sessions" (1973). It was an audio "tour" of both tracking
and mixing sessions of several songs and some instrument
demo tracks. Bud Shank doing the alto and bass flute demos.

All for the purpose of showing how good JBL speakers are,
of course(!)

Jeff Snider

geezerMPC wrote:
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

You mean the Herbie Mann sound? Try an EV 664, 666, 676, or one of
those series cheap dynamics that have no presence peak. Get up close.
Beyond that it's all playing technique.
--scott

And an alto or bass flute.

Jeff Snider

I can't listen to that much Wagner. I start getting the urge to conquer Poland.
---- Woody Allen
Scott Dorsey

Richard Crowley wrote:
"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
geezerMPC wrote:
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

You mean the Herbie Mann sound? Try an EV 664, 666, 676, or one of
those series cheap dynamics that have no presence peak. Get up close.
Beyond that it's all playing technique.

Wasn't it also sometimes an alto flute or even a bass flute?

Of course. What's the Mann album that has him holding that enormous
flute up on the cover?

terry

"geezerMPC" wrote in message
om...
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

I don't know if you mean you want to record a flute, or create a similar
sound. On the off chance you mean the latter there's a flute generator on
Buzz with the right tweaks makes a good approximation.

www.buzzmachines.com

Frank Vuotto

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 18:45:16 -0800, "Richard Crowley"
wrote:

"Scott Dorsey" wrote ...
geezerMPC wrote:
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

Probably the 'Wind Flute" or "Wind Pipes" synth patch

Speaking of that. I came across my 2-LP set of the JBL
"Sessions" (1973). It was an audio "tour" of both tracking
and mixing sessions of several songs and some instrument
demo tracks. Bud Shank doing the alto and bass flute demos.

Gonna put 'em on CD ?

All for the purpose of showing how good JBL speakers are,
of course(!)

Geoff Wood

"skhoover" wrote in message
and hum while you play like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull . . .

But you have to be wearing the chrome spike cod-piece and balance on one leg

geoff

knud

Wasn't it also sometimes an alto flute or even a bass flute?

Many of those riffs definetely used and alto. I haven't heard a bass on any
of them.
"I'm beginning to suspect that your problem is the gap between
what you say and what you think you have said."
-george (paraphrased)
Nmm

"terry" wrote in message news:pdUod.317323$nl.20164@pd7tw3no...
"geezerMPC" wrote in message
om...
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

I don't know if you mean you want to record a flute, or create a similar
sound. On the off chance you mean the latter there's a flute generator on
Buzz with the right tweaks makes a good approximation.

www.buzzmachines.com

Is the original poster talking about that "Theme From Shaft" flute
sound?

I can hear that police show flute.. I think the score in a couple of
the early Dirty Harry Movies had that.It seems like the string
background chords have a lot to do with it. And a bit of Rhodes.
killermike

On 24 Nov 2004 13:51:41 -0800, Nmm wrote:

"terry" wrote in message news:pdUod.317323$nl.20164@pd7tw3no...
"geezerMPC" wrote in message
om...
Anyone can give me a tip on how to get that 70s flute sound that was
so common in 70s police series/movies. I dont mean the overblowing
buzz sound but the deeper, low register flute sound they often used in
theme songs and surveillance scenes.

I don't know if you mean you want to record a flute, or create a similar
sound. On the off chance you mean the latter there's a flute generator on
Buzz with the right tweaks makes a good approximation.

www.buzzmachines.com

Is the original poster talking about that "Theme From Shaft" flute
sound?

I can hear that police show flute.. I think the score in a couple of
the early Dirty Harry Movies had that.It seems like the string
background chords have a lot to do with it. And a bit of Rhodes.

Add some wah guitar to make things funkeh, baby. Actually, I wonder if knee
length brown leather jackets and tan coloured flared trousers (with an
front on profile that probably served as an inspiration to the designers of
the stealth bomber) could have affected the acoustics within the studio?

***My real address is m/ike at u/nmusic d/ot co dot u/k (removing /s)
np:
http://www.unmusic.co.uk
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/amh-s-faq.html - alt.music.home-studio FAQ
http://www.unmusic.co.uk/wrap.php?file=vhs.html - vhs purchase log.