Jay Blanchard

Default corrupted wave files

Some audio (wave) files on my computer have suddenly been corrupted for no
apparent reason. When I try to play these I get an error "Invalid file type"
I can fix this by copying the header information from a non corrupted wave
file into a corrupted one. However I still get an error: "Unknown CODEC" ...
As far as I know it is impossible to fix this, however if anyone has any
ideas?

---

Len Moskowitz

Jay Blanchard wrote:

Some audio (wave) files on my computer have suddenly been corrupted for no
apparent reason. When I try to play these I get an error "Invalid file type"
I can fix this by copying the header information from a non corrupted wave
file into a corrupted one. However I still get an error: "Unknown CODEC" ...
As far as I know it is impossible to fix this, however if anyone has any
ideas?

You might try using Gidluck Mastering's WaveScript to salvage the file.

Tel: 201-801-0812, FAX: 201-801-0912
Jay Blanchard

Thanks for the help people!

---

In rec.audio.tech Jay Blanchard wrote:
Some audio (wave) files on my computer have suddenly been corrupted for no
apparent reason. When I try to play these I get an error "Invalid file type"
I can fix this by copying the header information from a non corrupted wave
file into a corrupted one. However I still get an error: "Unknown CODEC" ...
As far as I know it is impossible to fix this, however if anyone has any
ideas?

Rename the file to .raw, then use SOX to convert to .wav (something like
$sox -c2 -w -s -r44100 file.raw file.wav
assuming 44.1, stereo, signed, 16 bit).

Then you will need to remove the click that has probably been introduced
by reading the header as audio, but that should be easy.

I consider sox to be an essential tool for hacking around with audio
file formats.

Regards, Dan.
--
** The email address *IS* valid, do NOT remove the spamblock
And on the evening of the first day the lord said...........