jwallace

Default Need high pwr audio ampl

Could somebody please point me to a source for a low-cost, very high
power, mono audio amplifier, that could put approx. 1000 watts into a
4-ohm load ( i.e. ~60 V-rms and ~15 A-rms.) This is for an
industrial application, so it doesn't have to be super high-fidelity.
The preferred bandwidth would be from 5 Hz to 10,000 Hz, but we could
get by with a little less.

A kit would also be of interest, or even just plans & a schematic
diagram for a build-it-yourself unit.

Thanks in Advance. jwallace AT karta DOT com
Arny Krueger

"jwallace" wrote in message
om

Could somebody please point me to a source for a low-cost, very high
power, mono audio amplifier, that could put approx. 1000 watts into a
4-ohm load ( i.e. ~60 V-rms and ~15 A-rms.) This is for an
industrial application, so it doesn't have to be super high-fidelity.
The preferred bandwidth would be from 5 Hz to 10,000 Hz, but we could
get by with a little less.

A kit would also be of interest, or even just plans & a schematic
diagram for a build-it-yourself unit.

Not that big is going to be exactly cheap.

Here are some people who have such things in regular production and sell
them for competitive prices:

http://www.qscaudio.com/

http://www.crownaudio.com/

If you want the cheapest thing known to man that even claims to do this:

http://www.savinglots.com/lotprod.asp?item=PA1000X

Walter Harley

"jwallace" wrote...
Could somebody please point me to a source for a low-cost, very high
power, mono audio amplifier, that could put approx. 1000 watts into a
4-ohm load ( i.e. ~60 V-rms and ~15 A-rms.) This is for an
industrial application, so it doesn't have to be super high-fidelity.
The preferred bandwidth would be from 5 Hz to 10,000 Hz, but we could
get by with a little less.

If you build it yourself, you'll pay more in parts than a commercial unit
(because you don't have access to the heat sinks, power transformers, or
matched output devices, which are the expensive pieces). Plus, you'll end
up with something that doesn't have adequate safe-area protection, so it'll
smoke the first time you inadvertently short-circuit the output or connect
it to a reactive load. I'm *assuming* that "industrial" means that there's
a degree of reliability required.

Much better to buy one. As others have pointed out, they're not all that
expensive; and you can probably even find one used, for cheaper.

Two notes:

(1) Many commercial power amps intended for audio have high-pass filters,
higher than the 5Hz you require. Some can be disabled. You'll need to
check. Even then, you may have to do some modifications to get down to 5Hz.

(2) Many commercial power amps are rated for "music power" or "peak
power", not continuous sine wave. If you try to run 1000W of continuous
sine wave into a load, they'll overheat and shut down (or, for the less
expensive ones, smoke). Often, the ratings have to do with how much
current/voltage the supply can produce, rather than how much heat the output
devices can dissipate, which is usually the limiting factor.

Both those concerns will also apply if you build your own based on published
circuits.

Rocky

yeah, the cheap one arny pointed to claims 175 Wrms/channel. if you bridge
it you get 2x to 4x depending on how it's designed, still a long ways from
1000 Wrms.

rocky

"jwallace" wrote...