Harry Muscle

Default Placement of 5.1 speakers?

I just bought a Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speaker set for my computer, and
I'm wondering if I could get some pointers on where exactly all of the
speakers should be positioned?

I'm not into audio too much, hence my cheap speaker set, however, I'm
guessing placing the speakers in their proper positions would help.

I currently have the subwoofer under the desk and I would like to attach the
5 satelites to the ceiling (which has a bulk head all the way around, so
they would be about 7 feet off the floor and 1 foot from the ceiling,
pointing slighly downwards). Unfortnately there's a door in the back right
corner of the office that can hit a speaker near it, so the back speakers
would either have to be on the back wall 3 feet from the corner or on the
side wall 3 feet from the corner, but they can't be located exactly in the
corner ... in case this matters.

Also, the office is 10 feet from front to back and 13 feet wide. I sit
about 3-4 feet from the front wall, roughly in the middle of the room width
wise.

Anyway, any help is appreciated (links, ideas, angle measurements, etc.)

Thanks,
Harry

Mark A

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
[...]

Subwoofer can go almost anywhere since very low frequency sounds are
non-directional.

The two rear speakers can be on the sides or somewhat behind the sides.
Check the configuration software to see if it has different settings
depending on where you place your rear speakers.

Steven Sullivan

In rec.audio.tech Mark A wrote:
[...]

Well, it may be nondirectional (assuming they don't output much except low
bass) but that oonly means you won't be able to tell where the speaker
is, with your eyes closed. It doesn't mean it'll *sound* the same
in any position. Putting a sub in the corner (of a rectangular room)
is the usual recommendation, to 'even out' the bass in the room as
much as practical.

The two rear speakers can be on the sides or somewhat behind the sides.
Check the configuration software to see if it has different settings
depending on where you place your rear speakers.

Dolby Digital-type surround placement is on the walls
directly to each side of the listener, a few feet above his head
(two feet from the ceiling if possible), pointing right at each other.

see

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3

--
-S.

Mark A

"Steven Sullivan" wrote in message

Well, it may be nondirectional (assuming they don't output much except low
bass) but that oonly means you won't be able to tell where the speaker
is, with your eyes closed. It doesn't mean it'll *sound* the same
in any position. Putting a sub in the corner (of a rectangular room)
is the usual recommendation, to 'even out' the bass in the room as
much as practical.

The two rear speakers can be on the sides or somewhat behind the sides.
Check the configuration software to see if it has different settings
depending on where you place your rear speakers.

Dolby Digital-type surround placement is on the walls
directly to each side of the listener, a few feet above his head
(two feet from the ceiling if possible), pointing right at each other.

see

http://www.dolby.com/ht/Guide.HomeTh....html#chapter3

Considering that the entire system of 6 speakers, all of which are powered
(not just the subwoofer), costs about $75-$80, I don't think that placement
is critical.

Steven Sullivan

[...]

Low price doesn't mean that one speaker positioning will sound just as good as
any other.

--
-S.

Who fabricates 8 Ohms speakers...? I can't find other except Sony... Faustino Dina General 40 December 19th 04 02:28 AM
Speaker placement - need help macglade General 1 October 18th 03 04:51 PM
wall mount speakers (help!) rain General 1 July 25th 03 06:33 PM
JBL XPL-200 Speakers JP General 4 July 12th 03 05:48 PM
Remote speakers? L-pads? Totally confused! Hogarth General 3 July 3rd 03 02:06 PM