Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Default Always wanted to try a Mac.

I suppose it's the price barrier that holds me back.
I normally just go to Fry's and get a mobo combo for
a couple three hundred dollars when it's time to
upgrade a machine. I've had the same case for 15 years.

I sometimes get the idea though that the audio industry
favors Apple products. I also love that OSX is built
on a *nix kernel. I spend most of my time at work in
a shell on Linux. It's my comfort zone. I do Cygwin
and dabble in the Windows Subsystem for Linux but it feels
like double wrapped sex.

Anyway, I've been considering a Mac MINI. I saw one today
with the caption:

Refurbished: Apple C Grade Desktop Computer Mac mini MD389LL/A-C
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB 2 TB HDD Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

From a reputable source for $359.

How difficult will it be to use this box with my existing
monitor with dual DVI input? If I replace the monitor with
a modern 4k, will I need an adaptor? Will this box drive 4k?

Is it suited well to hobby level realtime DAW work?

Does it have a fan? Is it quiet enough to just sit on my
desk near my mics or will I have to build a box or something?
My current tower is in a closet behind my desk. That works
fine from a noise standpoint, but inconvenient often when I
need access to the machine.

Thanks for any tips or alternatives.

Tobiah
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/04/2019 3:56 AM, Tobiah wrote:

I suppose it's the price barrier that holds me back.
I normally just go to Fry's and get a mobo combo for
a couple three hundred dollars when it's time to
upgrade a machine.Â* I've had the same case for 15 years.

I sometimes get the idea though that the audio industry
favors Apple products.Â* I also love that OSX is built
on a *nix kernel.Â* I spend most of my time at work in
a shell on Linux.Â* It's my comfort zone.Â* I do Cygwin
and dabble in the Windows Subsystem for Linux but it feels
like double wrapped sex.

Anyway, I've been considering a Mac MINI.Â* I saw one today
with the caption:

Refurbished: Apple C Grade Desktop Computer Mac mini MD389LL/A-C
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB 2 TB HDD Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

From a reputable source for $359.

How difficult will it be to use this box with my existing
monitor with dual DVI input?Â* If I replace the monitor with
a modern 4k, will I need an adaptor?Â* Will this box drive 4k?

Is it suited well to hobby level realtime DAW work?

Does it have a fan?Â* Is it quiet enough to just sit on my
desk near my mics or will I have to build a box or something?
My current tower is in a closet behind my desk.Â* That works
fine from a noise standpoint, but inconvenient often when I
need access to the machine.

Thanks for any tips or alternatives.

Tobiah

Apple's early foothold in the industry mostly because ProTools was
exclusively Mac, and competing applications were hamstrung by this,.
There were significant obstructions for other hardware and software
providers from getting an elbow in. Fortunately that constriction has
largely gone and softwares on other platforms are now recognised for
their strengths. But the historical bias does remain.

You know where Microsoft got it's current touchy-feely dumb-user 'hold
your hand and manage everything for you' interface ideas from ? All the
stuff that gets in the way of somebody who knows what they want, where
they put it, and what they want it to do, etc ?

Apple was a once status-symbol intended to advertise that the user was
a more discriminating sophisticated nerd , with a good appreciation of
high-design, than other mere plebes. However in effect they were
brainwashed and locked into a monopolistic Mac-world. Still has the
snob-value thing to a degree.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Tobiah
writes

I suppose it's the price barrier that holds me back.
I normally just go to Fry's and get a mobo combo for
a couple three hundred dollars when it's time to
upgrade a machine. I've had the same case for 15 years.

I sometimes get the idea though that the audio industry
favors Apple products. I also love that OSX is built
on a *nix kernel. I spend most of my time at work in
a shell on Linux. It's my comfort zone. I do Cygwin
and dabble in the Windows Subsystem for Linux but it feels
like double wrapped sex.

Anyway, I've been considering a Mac MINI. I saw one today
with the caption:

Refurbished: Apple C Grade Desktop Computer Mac mini MD389LL/A-C
Intel Core i7 2.3 GHz 4 GB 2 TB HDD Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

From a reputable source for $359.

How difficult will it be to use this box with my existing
monitor with dual DVI input? If I replace the monitor with
a modern 4k, will I need an adaptor? Will this box drive 4k?

Is it suited well to hobby level realtime DAW work?

Does it have a fan? Is it quiet enough to just sit on my
desk near my mics or will I have to build a box or something?
My current tower is in a closet behind my desk. That works
fine from a noise standpoint, but inconvenient often when I
need access to the machine.

Thanks for any tips or alternatives.

Tobiah

Interesting!

I have a close friend, a broadcast and magazine music journalist and
reviewer, who suddenly told me he had always fancied a Mac and had just
purchased a refurbished 21" iMac running OSX Sierra, 3.06GHz i3, 8GB,
500GB.
This was followed by a message a week or two later that he was passing
it on to his wife and investing in an iMac with a larger screen as his
eyes were not up to the small font.
His previous totally Windows set up included his main almost state of
the art machine with a huge monitor, SSD + 2TB HD etc, etc. He is,
however, on Windows 10 and has been hit by the lengthy updates and some
resultant unexpected changes.

I am his main computer support, often using Teamviewer. I have never
used a Mac, but use Linux for the backup machines here.

Teamviewer works from me into the iMac, the only noticeable difference
seeming to be that he and I now have independent cursors rather than
sharing as in the PC. I am now just about able to navigate my way around
his Mac and have assisted (?!) with internet and email access, in
getting the keyboard set up correctly, setting up printers and with
transferring many files across.

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of
"why?".

He does just use computers for word processing and document management,
but does listen to music held digitally in one form or another. When he
has needed to edit audio, I have remoted into his machine and edited for
him.

He has already been asking about installing an SSD in his Mac. I have so
far refused.

I honestly see no advantage that he has gained by the move. I keep
telling him that I have recently upgraded a couple of Lenovo laptops
here to more modern touch +pen convertible ones with SSD's plus big
HD's. Each cost about half what he paid for his iMac, and is at least as
powerful, albeit with the smaller screen.

I doubt this post is of much help, but hopefully will be of some
interest.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of "why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to the
plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep cropping up
early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

geoff wrote:
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of "why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to the
plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep cropping up
early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and you
can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which, given their
history, is kind of ironic.

Windows is starting to get there with Powershell, but controlling ProTools
from Powershell is not going to be a pleasant experience.

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion of files
on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for you, not force
you to do them yourself.

Linux would have been nice, and there are Linux dialects with pseudo-realtime
hooks in the kernel that could have made for a nice audio platform, but really
pulseaudio is a disaster. I'm still hoping for someone to develop decent
low-level audio support for linux and I'm hoping it happens before the Red
Hat people manage to destroy everything with integrated bloat.

So I kind of think of OSX as a nice compromise... it's a unix-like system
with a decent shell, but with good audio support.

And yes, Apple's obsession with chasing the latest flashy new thing is a
problem, but for a DAW you can just get a system and freeze it. Until a
couple years ago I still had a first generation Sonic workstation for CD
mastering. It was in the studio for 26 years, then it went straight from
the studio to a museum.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Phil W Phil W is offline

26.04.2019 14:41 geoff:
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of
"why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to the
plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep cropping up
early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

Until he has learned the uncomfortable way, that a Mac PC has just about
the same annoyances as any Windows PC can deliver...

Well, Apple does provide some superior problem quality in some areas
(like loss of data - who does not love that?!) - their ohso great T2
security chip is a major cause for repeated problems - but hey, there´s
nothing better than a strong belief, isn´t it? ;-)

Phil
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

PREFACE: Well, at least the most obvious Mac-bashing has abated. Probably due more to the natural aging process of the dissenters than anything.

I started with a Mac SE around 1987. I had been exposed to DOS at work. It seemed obstructive and clunky. I don't write code. (I still have the SE30 and fire it up on special occasions; July 4th, Halloween, Steve Jobs birthday) I don't want to go to the command line. Call me a pussy if you want, but I'd rather do work on a computer than work on a computer.

I now have a trail of three aging Macs that I manage to keep working, the MacBook Pro I'm writing this comment with and a one year old iMac monster with a 4TB SSD. I have kept the older ones running because I can, and because there are apps that no longer run on the current OSs.

I can see any of the Macs on my wireless system from any other mac. I also have a printer/scanner wirelessly connected. No extra upgrades needed. All Macs network. I do work on them periodically. I just swapped out a failed interior System/Apps drive yesterday. It was easy. Shut down, open the case, pull the drive, put in the new one, close the case, restart, initialize the drive, open carbon copy cloner and clone the backup Sys/Apps drive to the new one. I have also swapped RAM and done a few other interior jobs over the years. I find the insides, usually, intelligently designed.

CORE CONTENT: I've never had a Mac Mini and wouldn't buy one on a bet (or otherwise). I just don't like the form factor and where's the damn CD/DVD drive! (I know, you don't get one today, and they are becoming irrelevant, but they can also be damn handy.)

The piece you're eyeing is a 2012 Mac. While the price may be attractive, you may just be buying an obsolete hockey puck, well, semi-obsolete anyway.

Each time I have bought a Mac, I have bought a new Mac; in the middle or slightly above the given feature set. I didn't get the absolute fastest iMac, but I did get a 4TB SSD. I'm running Apple Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro on it. So far, no fans have been audible or come on.

My advice is not to get this Mac Mini unless you want to torture yourself (or it, or both). Stay where you are. Instead, buy a nice electric recliner for the big screen room.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 27/04/2019 1:04 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
..

The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and
you can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which,
given their history, is kind of ironic.

Start Menu, Run. Or WinKey+R, and if you really for some odd reason
want to laboriously type what a mouse click or two can do, WinKey+R,
then CMDF and you can do all sorts of command line 'fun' in a fully text
window.

Windows is starting to get there with Powershell, but controlling
ProTools from Powershell is not going to be a pleasant experience.

Surely you control everything about ProTools from ... ProTools ?

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion
of files on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for
you, not force you to do them yourself.

Um, isn't that what applications are for, irrespective of whichever OS ?
Unless one is some sort of radical command-line fundamentalist.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 26/04/2019 7:19 am, geoff wrote:

You know where Microsoft got it's current touchy-feely dumb-user 'hold
your hand and manage everything for you' interface ideas from ? All the
stuff that gets in the way of somebody who knows what they want, where
they put it, and what they want it to do, etc ?

Yeah pinched it from Apple after Apple had already pinched it from
Xerox. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro

In article , Trevor wrote:
On 26/04/2019 7:19 am, geoff wrote:

You know where Microsoft got it's current touchy-feely dumb-user 'hold
your hand and manage everything for you' interface ideas from ? All the
stuff that gets in the way of somebody who knows what they want, where
they put it, and what they want it to do, etc ?

Yeah pinched it from Apple after Apple had already pinched it from
Xerox. :-)

Well, Apple paid licensing fees to Xerox for the idea at least.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

.
The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and
you can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which,
given their history, is kind of ironic.

Start Menu, Run. Or WinKey+R, and if you really for some odd reason
want to laboriously type what a mouse click or two can do, WinKey+R,
then CMDF and you can do all sorts of command line 'fun' in a fully text
window.

The command line on Windows is like something out of the 1960s. By the
mid-70s most operating systems had far more flexible command lines.

As I said, Powershell helps a whole lot. Powershell has some design
problems; if you pipe an executable into another you need to be have enough
disk space to hold the entire contents of the pipe, which seems like a
very boneheaded design decision to me.

But if you have a directory of a thousand files with .bwav extensions and
you need to rename them all to have .wav extensions, you can do it in
powershell. Good luck trying it with command.com.

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion
of files on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for
you, not force you to do them yourself.

Um, isn't that what applications are for, irrespective of whichever OS ?

File manipulation and management and conversion should be part of the OS,
I shouldn't need to have to write or download an application to do that
sort of thing. If the OS doesn't do that sort of thing, what good is it?

Unless one is some sort of radical command-line fundamentalist.

I probably am. I don't want to take my hands off the keyboard if I can
help it. The GUI is a fine thing for applications like image and audio
editing, although to be honest I use protools without looking at the screen
most of the time. I just wish I had a real scrub knob on my keyboard.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , geoff
writes
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of
"why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to
the plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep
cropping up early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

I had a phone call from my friend with his new refurbished iMac
yesterday.

I told him about this discussion, that I had joined in and read out
Geoff's reply above. He accepts the Audi driver, but is appalled by the
vegan reference.

He then proceeded to rave over the sound quality of the iMac, and
insisted on playing me a track from Benny Goodman over the Mac and the
phone so that I could hear the quality. I avoided answering directly by
diverting into discussion of Lionel Hampton's playing on the track. This
is hard work for me as I am not a particular fan of, or know much about,
jazz. We then went on to the comparative recording quality of different
labels (mainly Capitol, Columbia and MGM) in the '40's.

He is, as I said, primarily a music journalist, writing mainly and often
humorously about musicians and jazz. He lives in a large house with a
huge room dedicated to music and a large lounge. Both of these have
decent hifi separates systems that sound good to me. His office/computer
room is similarly huge. His big Windows machine has some small "computer
speakers" that he rarely switches on, and now the iMac with the built in
speakers.

What he is interested in is whether Toby, the OP, has proceeded with his
purchase and any comments he may have after a few days or weeks of
ownership, so I said I would post here to ask the question.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 29/04/2019 12:55 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:

But if you have a directory of a thousand files with .bwav extensions and
you need to rename them all to have .wav extensions, you can do it in
powershell. Good luck trying it with command.com.

No command.com, however lots of luck with "cmd".

Try WinKey+R, 'cmd' enter to bring up the command-line window, navigate
to the directory you want, then " ren *.bwav ???-*.wav " and Bob's your
uncle.

Easier still with a application such as Bulk Rename Utility in many
cases, oplus all the other more sophisticated options an app may have.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/04/2019 13:53, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.
--scott

Me too. Long term support Linux is looking better by the day. I'm not
sure if there's a way to transfer Linux based Mac tools to it, though.

WINE does the job for most Windows programs and tools, though.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 7:53:49 AM UTC-5, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

I'm just speaking in general, not necessarily fixing an OS that's not
broke.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Me too. Long term support Linux is looking better by the day. I'm not
sure if there's a way to transfer Linux based Mac tools to it, though.

Depends a lot on the linux distro. A lot of them are much worse than Windows
or OSX in that regard. Even Red Hat has gone to systemd and the new gnome
bloatware. Linux gets a whole lot of change-for-change's-sake these days
which is very disturbing.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 29/04/2019 17:20, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Linux Workstations
Depends a lot on the linux distro. A lot of them are much worse than Windows
or OSX in that regard. Even Red Hat has gone to systemd and the new gnome
bloatware. Linux gets a whole lot of change-for-change's-sake these days
which is very disturbing.
--scott

I did try Ubuntu Studio using KDE a while ago, and while it was not a
bad way to work, it didn't mesh well with the rest of my systems, so it
got deleted.

The core operating system is stable, and updates to it don't affect
programs, while you can opt to only take security updates or the whole
bleeding edge, nightly updated experience for the programs. It will tell
you at boot that "100 updates are available", all of which you can
probably safely ignore if you don't collaborate over the net or don't
run a firewall.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , Bill
writes

He is, as I said, primarily a music journalist, writing mainly and
often humorously about musicians and jazz.

OT, but maybe it will amuse someone.

Had a panic call a few minutes ago. He was writing an article using Word
on the iMac, had gone to try printing and for some reason it failed, so
he put the part-written tome onto a usb HD.
Booted up the big PC, which popped up an invitation to install
"OneDrive" and never lose any work again. He ran onedrive.exe, then
decided he didn't want it and might have to pay, so cancelled out.
He then uploaded his writings onto the PC, finished the article, shut
the machine down and went for a rest.

This evening he booted the PC and to his horror all his emails and
settings had disappeared along with his new article.

This was where he rang me.

A quick connect to him and poke around, and it looked as if he was
logged in as someone else. A further poke around in Windows 10 and
eventually we found where to make the user accounts visible ( this seems
to have changed recently). It then became apparent that he was logged in
as Hisname(2) instead of Hisname. Restarted and all came good.

He swears that the only thing he did apart from typing was to run
Onedrive.exe. It remains a mystery to both of us how this created a
second user (now deleted).

As someone else said, "Oh for a stable OS".
--
Bill

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

What he is interested in is whether Toby, the OP, has proceeded with
his purchase and any comments he may have after a few days or weeks
of ownership, so I said I would post here to ask the question.

I did not. Each time I look into a Mac Pro, Imac, mac mini, used
new refurbished, whatever, I'm stopped by the price point.

Toby
Posted to rec.audio.pro

John Williamson wrote:
The core operating system is stable, and updates to it don't affect
programs, while you can opt to only take security updates or the whole
bleeding edge, nightly updated experience for the programs. It will tell
you at boot that "100 updates are available", all of which you can
probably safely ignore if you don't collaborate over the net or don't
run a firewall.

99 of those updates are likely only adding features (or changing things for
the sake of change) and have nothing to do with security. Only very few
of the updates are actually security-related.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

I'm just speaking in general, not necessarily with respect
to innovating on something that's perfectly suitable as is.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 30/04/2019 12:53 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.
--scott

Some of the "innovation" from both Apple and MS seems to be to
obfuscate where things actually, are without jumping thru unnecessary
hoops.

At least (Win world at least) you can install something (like Classic
Shell) to put things back to several options of the way one likes it, in
Classic Shell options of UI workflows all the previous Win versions -
Start Menu, File Explorer, etc.

I know where I've put things, where I want to put things, and how I want
to get to them directly. Without circuitous routes.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 30/04/2019 8:05 AM, Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes

[...]

Bet you it was something he did (hint - he needed to call you to fix),
and not the OS or OneDrive app.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Hank[_4_] Hank[_4_] is offline

In article , Tobiah wrote:
What he is interested in is whether Toby, the OP, has proceeded with
his purchase and any comments he may have after a few days or weeks
of ownership, so I said I would post here to ask the question.

I did not. Each time I look into a Mac Pro, Imac, mac mini, used
new refurbished, whatever, I'm stopped by the price point.

You might want to take a look at these:

https://www.serverworlds.com/refurbi...ured-to-order/

I bought a couple of these a few months ago. One is running Ubuntu Mate
18.04 LTS; the other is running FreeBSD 12.0. The Ubuntu install is
pretty simple.

FreeBSD, on the other hand, takes a day to configure, and probably
pretty daunting for someone who isn't comfortable with command-line
utilities and the vi editor. But it's a real Unix, and has just about
any software you'd want through its package/ports repository.

I've bought from this vendor several times over the past 15 or so years,
and have always been satisfied with them.

Hank

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 30/04/2019 9:44 am, geoff wrote:
[...]

Yeah, wish I had a dollar for everyone who "swore the only thing they
did......" but simply forgot what they had really done to cause the
problem. :-)

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford[_2_] Ty Ford[_2_] is offline

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 8:53:49 AM UTC-4, Scott Dorsey wrote:
James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Scott, I thought you were a PC guy!

Ty
Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Scott, I thought you were a PC guy!

I'm an Ampex guy! I don't like computers!
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

Yeah, wish I had a dollar for everyone who "swore the only thing they
did......" but simply forgot what they had really done to cause the
problem. :-)

If I had a dollar for every woman who found me unattractive, they'd
find me attractive.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Bill[_20_] Bill[_20_] is offline

In message , geoff
writes
Bet you it was something he did (hint - he needed to call you to fix),
and not the OS or OneDrive app.

Just now he rang again to say that he has all his photos loaded onto the
iMac, and tried to copy his recent writing back onto that machine.
He then got a message saying that his cloud (as I understand it)
automatic sync backup was out of space and would he pay some pennies to
increase the storage.
He declined, searched for and found how to empty his cloud backup. He
followed the instructions and told it that he wanted to keep all the
data on the machine.
All his icons and access to his writings on the iMac have now
disappeared, he says.

I have just told him (again) that I know nothing about Macs. He believes
he has been backing up to a second external HD, but doesn't know how to
restore. He also has all his writings on the Windows machine, so he is
OK.

I've left him to his devices for a bit. It's a shame because otherwise
he is very intelligent, amusing and good company.
--
Bill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Scott, I thought you were a PC guy!

Ty

As long as everything works smoothly in an audio context, I find it hard
to get a stiffy over operating systems.

What it should be all about is the recording application of choice.
Related to that is the range of choices available if one is locked into
a particular platform.

I developed my choice in a period where Apple and their 'favourites' was
somewhat less than democratic wrt DAW software.

geoff.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 1/05/2019 5:45 AM, Bill wrote:
In message , geoff
writes
[...]

MS One Drive keeps all the apps in the said 'cloud'. DropBox , which
can be used for the same purpose as One Drive, keeps a local folder
which mirrors to the 'cloud' version.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 4/30/2019 11:58 AM, Tobiah wrote:

Yeah, wish I had a dollar for everyone who "swore the only thing they
did......" but simply forgot what they had really done to cause the
problem. :-)

If I had a dollar for every woman who found me unattractive, they'd
find me attractive.

It's a game changer for sure when they realize that bulge in your pants is a
roll of $100 bills.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mat Nieuwenhoven Mat Nieuwenhoven is offline

James Price wrote:
I like the Mac, though I do wonder how long Apple can maintain their legacy of innovation in light of Steve Jobs's death.

I wish they would just stop it with the innovation!
I am trying to get work done!
I want a system that is stable.

Me too. Long term support Linux is looking better by the day. I'm not
sure if there's a way to transfer Linux based Mac tools to it, though.

Depends a lot on the linux distro. A lot of them are much worse than Windows
or OSX in that regard. Even Red Hat has gone to systemd and the new gnome
bloatware. Linux gets a whole lot of change-for-change's-sake these days
which is very disturbing.

I find systemd an improvement, its journal has helped me multiple
times.

I run Mint LongTime Support versions, with XFCE desktop, a bit like
Windows XP. I don't like the fat desktops like Gnome. Plus, XFCE has
a bar only at the bottom, and you can add monitors for CPU, disk and
network load, which I like.

Mat Nieuwenhoven

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:
geoff wrote:
On 26/04/2019 11:12 PM, Bill wrote:

He still seems besotted with the Mac - he keeps referring to one
publisher who has encouraged the move - in spite of my questions of "why?".

The expression is "hook, line, and sinker". He now feels superior to the
plebes. A bit like an Audi driver, or a vegan. It will keep cropping up
early in any conversation that he is involved in now.

The nice thing about the mac is that it has a decent command line and you
can do everything you need to do from the command line. Which, given their
history, is kind of ironic.

Windows is starting to get there with Powershell, but controlling ProTools
from Powershell is not going to be a pleasant experience.

I've added a Tcl interpreter to every computer I've had since the mid
1990s. There are also all the usual Unix tools - - ls, grep etc -
ported to Windows available for free.

It's really nice to be able to script things and do bulk conversion of files
on OSX. Computers are supposed to do repetitive tasks for you, not force
you to do them yourself.

Linux would have been nice, and there are Linux dialects with pseudo-realtime
hooks in the kernel that could have made for a nice audio platform, but really
pulseaudio is a disaster. I'm still hoping for someone to develop decent
low-level audio support for linux and I'm hoping it happens before the Red
Hat people manage to destroy everything with integrated bloat.

As much of a horror show as the API is, Windows has had multimedia API
support forever. I recall notifications for a meeting where the Linux
folk were still trying to figure out what an event in multimedia was.
This not long after 2000.

If they ain't got it in 28 years...

So I kind of think of OSX as a nice compromise... it's a unix-like system
with a decent shell, but with good audio support.

And yes, Apple's obsession with chasing the latest flashy new thing is a
problem, but for a DAW you can just get a system and freeze it. Until a
couple years ago I still had a first generation Sonic workstation for CD
mastering. It was in the studio for 26 years, then it went straight from
the studio to a museum.

Apple has apparently started gluing cases together.

Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:
As much of a horror show as the API is, Windows has had multimedia API
support forever. I recall notifications for a meeting where the Linux
folk were still trying to figure out what an event in multimedia was.
This not long after 2000.

Yeah, they saw that market.

The folks who really did it right were the BeOS team but that kind of died...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
nickbatz nickbatz is offline

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 1:25:35 PM UTC-7, Tobiah wrote:
I did not. Each time I look into a Mac Pro, Imac, mac mini, used

new refurbished, whatever, I'm stopped by the price point.

Toby

My Mac Pro 5,1, dual 6-core 3.46GHz processors (i.e. a 12-core), 64GB RAM was $1350 on eBay when I bought it almost 2-1/2 years ago.

You can find the same machine for little less now.

Yeah it's had its processors updated, but it's ten years old and it kicks serious arse for a DAW. My big Logic template - a full orchestra + lots of other things - runs at a 128-sample buffer off SSDs, complete with more plug-ins than I use.

wanted: Yamaha SU10 wanted [email protected] Pro Audio 0 January 30th 07 01:42 AM
Wanted: DS Tech 0 March 15th 06 02:30 PM
G.A.S Wanted AMPZILLA JOE Marketplace 0 March 28th 04 03:23 PM
Wanted!!! NY based Photographers Videographers Webmasters+3D Animators Modelers Wanted!!! Joe Donut Marketplace 0 December 6th 03 01:50 AM
Wanted!!! NY based Photographers Videographers Webmasters+3D Animators Modelers Wanted!!! Joe Donut Pro Audio 0 December 6th 03 01:50 AM