Posted to rec.audio.pro
Chip Borton Chip Borton is offline

Default Mackie HDR 24/96 hard drives

Hi All,

I just got handed about 20 Mackie HDR 24/96 hard drives that need to be
archived and backed up. I was also given the machine but it is not
working. It comes up with an error about not being able to connect with
host.

I think messing with the machine is a lost cause and I would like to
back them up directly to a PC if possible. The Manual says it records
wav on a fat16 disk but I also read that you have to "render" the files
as wav inside the machine before exporting them.

I know that Mike you have experience with these and have read some
of your articles so far.

Long story short ... Is there software (Win or Mac) to run that will
extract the audio from those disks?

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/29/2018 7:05 AM, Chip Borton wrote:
Hi All,

I just got handed about 20 Mackie HDR 24/96 hard drives that need to be
archived and backed up. I was also given the machine but it is not
working. It comes up with an error about not being able to connect with
host.

This can be fixed, but you probably don't want to get into that.

I think messing with the machine is a lost cause and I would like to
back them up directly to a PC if possible. The Manual says it records
wav on a fat16 disk but I also read that you have to "render" the files
as wav inside the machine before exporting them.

Long story short ... Is there software (Win or Mac) to run that will
extract the audio from those disks?

If you can work out a way to connect the drive to your computer, you can
just copy the files from it. I use I have a "dock" for the removable
drive carrier, but plugging a USB-to-IDE adapter on to the bare drive
works just fine. Where rendering is useful is when you have tracks with
punch-ins or edits, which means there are a bunch of files associated
with that track. Rendering combines all the files that are part of the
finished track into a single file so you don't have to re-assemble the
track from pieces.

Tracktion is a DAW program that Mackie sold (or gave away) which had the
ability to load a Mackie project with all its files. You could render
the tracks in the Tracktion project and then export them as contiguous
WAV files. I think that the latest version of Tracktion still has the
Mackie project file import capability, and there's still a free version.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/t7-daw

--
"Today's production equipment is IT based and cannot be operated without
a passing knowledge of computing, although it seems that it can be

Drop by http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com now and then
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Chip Borton wrote:

I just got handed about 20 Mackie HDR 24/96 hard drives that need to be
archived and backed up. I was also given the machine but it is not
working. It comes up with an error about not being able to connect with
host.

You got an Error 43. The motherboard battery is dead. Replace it, then
reset the BIOS. It'll be fine.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/29/2018 9:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Chip Borton wrote:

I just got handed about 20 Mackie HDR 24/96 hard drives that need to be
archived and backed up. I was also given the machine but it is not
working. It comes up with an error about not being able to connect with
host.

You got an Error 43. The motherboard battery is dead. Replace it, then
reset the BIOS. It'll be fine.
--scott

Excellent, thanks Scott. It was Indeed error 43. The owner asked if i
could fix the machine. Maybe Ill give it a whirl.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/29/2018 8:49 AM, Mike Rivers wrote:
[...]

Excellent Mike, I downloaded the program and I am happily dumping off
the files as we speak.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 8/29/2018 8:03 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
You got an Error 43. The motherboard battery is dead. Replace it, then
reset the BIOS. It'll be fine.

Hey! That's my line!

I forgot to mention, though, that even continuous recordings can use
some rendering if they're more than 15 minutes long, since the Mackie
recorder saves a new file every 15 minutes.

IDE Hard Drives mcp6453[_2_] Pro Audio 9 February 5th 11 03:02 PM
CD & Hard drives underwater? Andy Eng Pro Audio 36 September 27th 05 09:07 PM
More on hard disk drives TJ Hertz Pro Audio 7 September 8th 05 12:38 PM
FYI - hard drives in the car MZ Car Audio 2 June 7th 05 04:27 PM
car stereos with hard drives? Tully Car Audio 2 June 6th 04 11:01 AM