Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default I need a new PA speaker

I've had these tannoy v8's for a number of years now, and I love the way they sound, but apparently I'm just too hard on them. I only run an acoustic guitar, upright bass and a vocal through them, and the bass is high passed and I'm using the amp dsp to protect them, but they're still a bit fragile.. So rather than these dual concentrics, what's a conventional, passive box that would make sense for me? I don't mind going up to a 10, but I don't want any larger, and I'd prefer to stick with an 8, but I need something a little more durable but still has a very smooth and natural sound. On the gig last night I heard some distortion on the bass player's signal. I've had to replace the drivers in the past. I think there are beyma drivers in there now. Any suggestions on a conventional woofer/horn box?

Thanks!

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul[_13_] Paul[_13_] is offline

On 2/27/2017 7:52 AM, Nate Najar wrote:
I've had these tannoy v8's for a number of years now, and I love the way they sound, but apparently I'm just too hard on them. I only run an acoustic guitar, upright bass and a vocal through them, and the bass is high passed and I'm using the amp dsp to protect them, but they're still a bit fragile. So rather than these dual concentrics, what's a conventional, passive box that would make sense for me? I don't mind going up to a 10, but I don't want any larger, and I'd prefer to stick with an 8, but I need something a little more durable but still has a very smooth and natural sound. On the gig last night I heard some distortion on the bass player's signal. I've had to replace the drivers in the past. I think there are beyma drivers in there now. Any suggestions on a conventional woofer/horn box?

Thanks!

I'm looking for passive PA speakers too, if you have seen my recent
posts!

Just out of curiosity, what will you be driving them with?

I have a Mackie 406M. It has served me well....decent built-in
reverb, powerful enough for my usage.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Nate Najar wrote:
I've had these tannoy v8's for a number of years now, and I love the way th=
ey sound, but apparently I'm just too hard on them. I only run an acoustic=
guitar, upright bass and a vocal through them, and the bass is high passed=
and I'm using the amp dsp to protect them, but they're still a bit fragile=
. So rather than these dual concentrics, what's a conventional, passive bo=
x that would make sense for me? I don't mind going up to a 10, but I don't=
want any larger, and I'd prefer to stick with an 8, but I need something a=
little more durable but still has a very smooth and natural sound. On the=
gig last night I heard some distortion on the bass player's signal. I've =
had to replace the drivers in the past. I think there are beyma drivers in =
there now. Any suggestions on a conventional woofer/horn box?

If there are Beyma drivers in there, it won't sound the same. Maybe it's time
to fix the original Tannoy drivers that they came with. The compression
driver can be rebuilt in the field and the diaphragm kit is not expensive.
If you are hearing distortion on bass it's likely because the Beyma is not
happy in that box or with that crossover.

If you like a passive box, you might consider the Radian 8" speakers, or
their 12" if you actually need some low end. They are not quite as clean
and the edges of the pattern as the Tannoy and the top end is a little
harsher on-axis but they are entirely respectable.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Dieter Michel Dieter Michel is offline

Nate,

of course, there's a whole bunch of speakers that
could (and would) fulfil your needs.
So anything I can suggest can only be a small subset
of what is recommendable for your application.

One system that comes to my mind when you mention that
you have been using an 8" dual concentric is the

http://www.westlab-audio.com/product...rat-eight.html
http://www.westlab-audio.com/files/D...t-data-web.pdf

by Westlab Audio, located here in Germany.

The coax might bring you the radiation characteristics
that you are familiar with while delivering a bit more output.

If you need more headroom at low frequencies, maybe the
High Output Point Source HOPS8T made by Coda Audio is
interesting:
http://www.codaaudio.com/products/full-range-systems/
http://www.codaaudio.com/products/to...ops8-overview/

It uses two 8" chassis, one of them being a coax.
Passive design as opposed to the Westlab.

Coda Audio seem to be building up a a new headquarter
in the U.S. rather than having a distributor:
http://www.codaaudio.com/news/news-s...iew/?tx_ttnews[tt_news]=159

These are just my two cents. There will probably be
many more suitable speakers.

Best regards

Dieter Michel
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

On 28/02/2017 1:52 AM, Nate Najar wrote:
I've had these tannoy v8's for a number of years now, and I love the
way they sound, but apparently I'm just too hard on them. I only run
an acoustic guitar, upright bass and a vocal through them, and the
bass is high passed and I'm using the amp dsp to protect them, but
they're still a bit fragile. So rather than these dual concentrics,
what's a conventional, passive box that would make sense for me? I
don't mind going up to a 10, but I don't want any larger, and I'd
prefer to stick with an 8, but I need something a little more durable
but still has a very smooth and natural sound. On the gig last night
I heard some distortion on the bass player's signal. I've had to
replace the drivers in the past. I think there are beyma drivers in
there now. Any suggestions on a conventional woofer/horn box?

Have to laugh at putting a bass through an 8" speaker and complaining
about distortion and durability! I would have added a sub woofer and
active EQ to that set up *before* I blew up the original Tannoy drivers.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 27-02-2017 15:52, Nate Najar wrote:

I've had these tannoy v8's for a number of years now, and I love the way they sound, but apparently I'm just too hard on them. I only run an acoustic guitar, upright bass and a vocal through them, and the bass is high passed and I'm using the amp dsp to protect them, but they're still a bit fragile. So rather than these dual concentrics, what's a conventional, passive box that would make sense for me? I don't mind going up to a 10, but I don't want any larger, and I'd prefer to stick with an 8, but I need something a little more durable but still has a very smooth and natural sound. On the gig last night I heard some distortion on the bass player's signal. I've had to replace the drivers in the past. I think there are beyma drivers in there now. Any suggestions on a conventional woofer/horn box?

If you wanna run bass through them then you in my opinbion need a
(couple of) 12 inch subs to go with them and an elecstronic x-over.

Thanks!

Kind regards

Peter Larsen