Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Low Hertz Low Hertz is offline

Default Receiver Advice Wanted, My Nachamichi appears to be dying.

I figure this is the best place to get advice.

My Nachamichi 700 once took a lightening hit. I spent a fortune getting
it fixed, but didn't use it for more than 3 months and the warranty expired=
..
It just sort of dies. I need to replace it. I've put a fortune into havin=
g it fixed and don't want to do it again.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm a professional musician with a love for real ac=
oustic music. But I'm very picky about my stereo equipment.

I only want to drive 2 speakers, 2 EPI with Heil Air Motion Transformers.
I've never heard regular speakers that reproduce highs at all.
They have great realistic basses. As a string bass players I love clean
bass, and hate the thumpers so common today. These have an incredibly heav=
y speaker cab, with a 12" woofer facing down and a passive 12" woofer. It =
has a real sexy bass.

The only "sound stage" that really impressed me were Koss electrostatic hea=
dphones, if that means anything to you.

Mostly, I want to plug my TV audio speakers into it, regular RCA that obvio=
usly have power as they are volume sensitive, and listen to National Public=
Radio. I have my computer connected to my TV with a USB to HDMI connecti=
on, so all my computer streaming goes through my TV and stereo.
I love sound scores. I also use Pandora and MP3s, but know they are limite=
d.

I had a Philips 212 Turntable that I believe was stolen by my movers.

I'm looking for very clean, realistic sound. Like my Nachamichi used to pr=
oduce before it was hit with lightening. I also had a Proton during their =
brief period they were producing audiophile quality integrated amps, but th=
e switch plate keeps breaking, and one channel is not working.

I don't know s*** about new equipment. I know I used to look for stuff wit=
h a lot of copper and weight. I know there are new technologies. I want s=
omething built like a tank. I would surly consider a tube unit if it were =
reliable. As a musician, I loved my old Fender Bassman which I stupidly so=
ld when I moved to California

I figure this is the best place to get so knowledgeable highly opinionated =
advice, both of a really clean unit that will meet my needs. I don't need =
to drive the whole collection of speakers, 2 great ones does it for me. Al=
so, where can it be purchased for the best price and good service.

My general advice for most audiophiles is to go out and hear live, unamplif=
ied music in a good hall. Real music is nothing like recorded music. Even=
the best systems do not reproduce life music. That said,
I'm looking for the best at what exists, but isn't absurdly expensive.
I'd like to put a limit of around $500, hopefully less but if necessary I p=
ony up some more to get something amazing.

I'm not going to be able to afford classic Mac power amps.

And, for one's brain and musicality, learn to play a musical instrument. I=
have a large section on my web site on the relationship of learning music =
to intelligence. I'm somewhat of an expert on the Psychology of music.
www.comarow.com and look for the Brain and Music page.=20

Thanks in advance,
Bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

On 11/5/2014 3:05 PM, Low Hertz wrote:

[...]

You have a pair of speakers that you really like the sound of and are
looking for a receiver to drive them. Don't over think this one -
there's not a lot of audible difference between amplifiers (some say
that there is none). Designing amplifiers is very well defined problem
that has been pretty much solved. It's not like designing a musical
instrument, which is all about art and taste. Amps are basically about
the numbers.

I'd say go with a quality brand like Denon or Yamaha or similar that has
the features and wattage you want. You can spend more, but you reach the
point of diminishing (some would say flat) returns at the $500 price
point. Maybe before if you don't need the wattage.

Since you're using your TV as an input selector you won't need many
inputs on your receiver. Sounds like you will want a phono preamp in
case you want to replace your turntable, and a tuner for the NPR.

Agree that recorded music is only a pale imitation of live even on the
best equipment.

//Walt

--
//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Tater[_2_] Tater[_2_] is offline

On 5 Nov 2014 20:05:55 GMT, Low Hertz wrote:

[...]

The Outlaw Audio RR2150 might be a good fit for you.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/rr2150.html

I have no experience with their products but they seen to be well
regarded in the reviews I have read.

Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 3:05:57 PM UTC-5, Low Hertz wrote:
I figure this is the best place to get advice.

Perhaps - I can certainly help with the "highly opinionated part...=20
=20
My Nachamichi 700 once took a lightening hit. =20
=20
[...]

After much snippage, I will render a couple of suggestions and opinions bas=
ed on the following take-away from your post:

a) You may want to re-learn vinyl in the future.
b) Your speakers do an excellent job of upper-mid-range and treble, somethi=
ng you believe many other speakers lack (for the most part, I agree).
c) Unless you want to go to the trouble of purchasing a separate phono-pre-=
amp, you should lean towards vintage equipment. This will get you away from=
amp-on-a-chip designs and more into equipment designed to be serviced more=
readily. Flip side is that it is designed to be serviced, suggesting that =
servicing is inevitable.=20
d) You don't want to spend a fortune.=20

The first thing I will suggest is that you hunt down a pair of Magnepan spe=
akers somewhere that are well-installed and driven with sufficient power to=
show their 'stuff'. I am not suggesting that you purchase them without ext=
ensive audition, but if you are enamored of the ESS design, the Maggies wil=
l change your life! If you find a pair with the ribbon tweeters, even more =
so. I keep a pair of MG-IIIs, mid-vintage for the line that are just stunni=
ng in a room that is 17 x 28 x 10. But I do have a brute-force power-amp to=
drive them.

Now, as to a receiver: Something that can switch speaker outputs, receives =
reasonably well and has a phone-stage on-board. You are not heavily prejudi=
ced against pacific-rim equipment as I am, so that greatly broadens the fie=
ld. You want bullet-proof, so no AR stuff as sweet as it sounds.

Harman Kardon - any number of their twin-powered receivers of the 80s would=
suit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-HARM...REO-RECEIVER-=
MODEL-730-MADE-IN-JAPAN-/251698494193?pt=3DVintage_Electronics_R2&hash=3Dit =
em3a9a663af1 =20

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-HARM...eiver-60wpc-S=
erviced-in-Great-Condition-/331362606686?pt=3DVintage_Electronics_R2&hash=
=3Ditem4d26c01e5e

Are two of many on eBay.=20

Denon, Yamaha, Sony, even another Nak might do:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-TA...Amplifier-Nel=
son-Pass-STASIS-Circuitry-/221279801973?pt=3DVintage_Electronics_R2&hash=3D=
item33854dd275 it does suggest you make an offer!

Were it up to me, I would go separates, and start with a decent pre-amp or =
tuner/pre-amp. This would allow you to get the control you want, the phono =
stage and not be 'stuck' with the amp section. I am exceedingly lucky that =
I have two (2) Revox A720 tuner/preamps that I purchased separately, but to=
gether cost less than your budget. And, over time, allow you to experiment =
with tube and/or solid-state options for amplification. Being brutally hone=
st, I will state that other than at the margins, of my eight (8) amplifier =
options, I would be hard-pressed to tell the difference under normal volume=
into my AR 3a speakers. At high volume into the Maggies, only the massive =
Citation can cut it.=20

Historically, I found many of the enhanced-tweeter design speakers (includi=
ng ESS) were artificially bright to my ears, and throttling back the treble=
had its own issues. A truly flat speaker does often sound dull when contra=
sted to an artificially bright speaker. The Maggies solve all that very nic=
ely. They do not dive way down into the bass pit, but they do produce an in=
credibly smooth spectrum all the way up to inaudibly high frequencies. And =
as the sound is produced over a large area, that peaky point-source (for la=
ck of a better term) whistle is missing.=20

Aside: My wife liked the sound out of them so much that she permitted the i=
nstallation of speakers that are 6' high, 24" wide and 1" deep, and are som=
ewhat sensitive to placement. Go figure.=20

I could go on. But as Walt suggested, do not get stressed over what is, eff=
ectively, a very simple requirement - if that is all you want. But, now tha=
t you have an opportunity to do some experimentation, check out Maggies if =
you have the opportunity. And look for an audio dealer in your area that ta=
kes trades and has a stock of vintage equipment (perhaps) that you could au=
dition *!AT HOME!* before you purchase. There are several in this area that=
do that commonly, there are probably one or two in your area as well.=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Wednesday, November 5, 2014 12:05:57 PM UTC-8, Low Hertz wrote:
[...]

I am perfectly happy with my speakers, and how they played with my=20
Nachamichi when it's running.

The Nachamichi, when connected to the RCAs from the TV, sometimes get a lo=
ud sound, then turn off. Sometimes over time they start hissing and stay o=
n. Sometimes they work for a while and then turn off.

Must be some type of protective circuity that is not working correctly.

I can often simply turn the Nachamichi off and restart it and it works good=
..

I can easily hear the difference between different receivers or integrated =
amps. I had the Proton, and it had it's own sound. The Nachamichi sounded=
great. And I had some type of audiphile unit I gave my son years ago.

I really don't think I need new speakers, the EPIs have great sexy bass, an=
d I'm a string bass player. Of course, an Italian string bass bowed has ve=
ry high, sweet overtones. 99% of people have no idea what a bass sounds li=
ke.
They think it's the sound that comes out of sub woofers. Wrong.

The Heil Air Motion Transformers do a superior job with the highs.

I did find some Chinese integrated tube amps, am concerned that their total=
harmonic distortion is 2%. I understand they are more natural types of di=
stortion, but I remember returning an old scott tube amp in 1974 when I was=
a music student and getting a Sony Integrated Amp that sounded great.
Don't remember the name.

The only speakers that impressed me was the Martin Logan CLS, and yes, I kn=
ow the specs say they lack bass, but their bass is more realistic than most=
other unit. I suspect the hybrid Martin Logans probably have better specs=
..

But as I said, I'm happy with my speakers.

I don't need USB ports, I already have a USB to HDMI box (Sewell HD) so all=
my sound goes to that. It would be nice if my TV could turn off it's spea=
kers.

With the Sewell box you don't need any type of smart TV or streaming TV
box, you can stream everything from your computer and cut out cable and get=
better selection and quality of programming without a cable bill. An atti=
c antenna gets the local stations, which living in Northern California has =
included post season baseball and football the last few years:-)

I'd pony up for a Mac with a pre-amp combination if I could get one of thei=
r really clean sounding units.

Nachamichi 730, in excellent condition, recently completely serviced. Beach Runner[_2_] Marketplace 0 January 10th 13 06:25 AM
O.T. Mac OS reader and advice wanted. studiorat Pro Audio 13 January 3rd 08 04:44 AM
Advice wanted. Jaanus Tech 4 March 27th 04 06:44 PM
pre-amp/equalizer - advice wanted eppy Audio Opinions 5 January 22nd 04 07:12 PM
TASCAM 238 appears sick... Andy Eng Tech 0 January 6th 04 06:13 AM