Posted to rec.audio.high-end
J.B. Wood J.B. Wood is offline

Default Optical-to-RCA Converter

Hello, all. As this is my first post to the ng I apologize if my gear
is not quite high-end enough. I have a 20-year old Adcom GTP-500
II/GFA-545 II tuner/preamp/amp combination feeding a pair of Allison
AL-120 speakers (recently had the woofers refoamed). I would like to
connect the optical audio output from a Panasonic TCL32X5 TV to the
Adcom tuner/preamp. There appears to be many devices in varying price
ranges ($20 and up) to accomplish this. Can anyone provide some
experience and recommendations in order that I get the highest quality
digital-analog-conversion possible? I'm not looking for overkill, just
to match things up to my existing components. Thanks for your time and
comment. Sincerely,
--
J. B. Wood e-mail:
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio_Empire[_2_] Audio_Empire[_2_] is offline

On Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:40:42 PM UTC-8, J.B. Wood wrote:
Hello, all. As this is my first post to the ng I apologize if my gear

is not quite high-end enough. I have a 20-year old Adcom GTP-500

II/GFA-545 II tuner/preamp/amp combination feeding a pair of Allison

AL-120 speakers (recently had the woofers refoamed). I would like to

connect the optical audio output from a Panasonic TCL32X5 TV to the

Adcom tuner/preamp. There appears to be many devices in varying price

ranges ($20 and up) to accomplish this. Can anyone provide some

experience and recommendations in order that I get the highest quality

digital-analog-conversion possible? I'm not looking for overkill, just

to match things up to my existing components. Thanks for your time and

comment. Sincerely,

--

J. B. Wood e-mail:

Before I can answer that, I need some clarification. Is this optical output
analog or digital? If it's digital, any number of DACs on the market, in
all price ranges are likely to have an optical digital input and RCA analog
left and right stereo out. OTOH, if that TV optical output is analog, I don't
know what to tell you. There were some products in the late 80's that
tried to replace regular audio interconnects with fiber optical, but it
didn't take. I haven't seen any equipment with that capability for decades
and I've certainly seen no converter boxes that would turn the optical
stereo back into electrical stereo.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
J.B. Wood J.B. Wood is offline

On 12/13/2012 10:43 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:

Before I can answer that, I need some clarification. Is this optical output
analog or digital? If it's digital, any number of DACs on the market, in
all price ranges are likely to have an optical digital input and RCA analog
left and right stereo out. OTOH, if that TV optical output is analog, I don't
know what to tell you. There were some products in the late 80's that
tried to replace regular audio interconnects with fiber optical, but it
didn't take. I haven't seen any equipment with that capability for decades
and I've certainly seen no converter boxes that would turn the optical
stereo back into electrical stereo.

Thanks for the quick reply, Empire. Clarification(?) from the Panasonic
TC32X5 manual:

When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL AUDIO
OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
channel is selected, the output will be PCM.
When playing a movie on SD Card Movie player, when the sound has been
recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is
recorded in other formats, the output will be PCM.

Sincerely,

--
J. B. Wood e-mail:

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

On Friday, December 14, 2012 9:07:58 AM UTC-8, J.B. Wood wrote:
On 12/13/2012 10:43 PM, Audio_Empire wrote:
=20

=20
[...]

=E2=97=8F When an ATSC channel is selected, the output from the DIGITAL A=

UDIO=20
=20
OUT jack will be Dolby Digital. When an NTSC
=20
channel is selected, the output will be PCM.
=20
=E2=97=8F When playing a movie on SD Card Movie player, when the sound ha=

s been=20
=20
recorded in Dolby Digital, the output from the
=20
DIGITAL AUDIO OUT terminal will be Dolby Digital. When the sound is=20
=20
recorded in other formats, the output will be PCM.
=20
=20
=20
Sincerely,

OK. You need to buy a Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC). Here's a=20
link to one on E-Bay:

http://tinyurl.com/bs2g2jl

It is more than adequate for your purposes, has an Optical TosLink
input (which is what your Panasonic most likely is) and electronic
stereo audio out and, it's less that $22.=20

Do you also need a TosLink cable to go betwen the TV and your new DAC?
Try these folks:

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...ct_list&c=3D11

Their Toslink Cables are excellent and cheap (I use 'em myself). Just buy t=
he length you need.

Good luck on your project.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/car...duct_list&c=11

Their Toslink Cables are excellent and cheap (I use 'em myself).
Just buy the length you need.

Good luck on your project.

I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. Because of the
several different audio-for-video formats that the Panasonic will
handle, you need to understand that the DAC i pointed you to will only
decode PCM. It won't work for Dolby Digital, DTS, or other formats.
What you need to ensure that the DAC will handle any digital format
thrown at it, you would need an audio-for-video decoder. Now, most
ver-the air TV sound is PCM (and even analog Dolby pro-logic is
broadcast as PCM) so you should be fine, but I wanted to warn you that
if you do encounter broadcast (or cable/satellite) in one of the other
formats, this $22 DAC will not be able to parse them.