Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John[_51_] John[_51_] is offline

Default Software for recording vinyl

I'm in the process of capturing my vinyl collection at 24bit/96kHz
(via an E-Mu 0204 USB device) and was wondering if anyone has an
opinion on the various software recording packages available. I am
using NCH Wavepad at the moment. It was cheap and has not a lot of
frills (i.e. easy to use) which is exactly what I was after. I don't
really need all the features offered by the likes of Steinbergs
Wavelab, I literally just use it for capturing and splitting into
individual tracks (which works a treat). My question though is there
likely to be any difference in capture quality between the various
softwares if the same hardware is being used
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"John" wrote in message
I'm in the process of capturing my vinyl collection at 24bit/96kHz
(via an E-Mu 0204 USB device) and was wondering if anyone has an
opinion on the various software recording packages available. I am
using NCH Wavepad at the moment. It was cheap and has not a lot of
frills (i.e. easy to use) which is exactly what I was after. I don't
really need all the features offered by the likes of Steinbergs
Wavelab, I literally just use it for capturing and splitting into
individual tracks (which works a treat). My question though is there
likely to be any difference in capture quality between the various
softwares if the same hardware is being used

If you just record and burn, just about any software from Audacity
(Freeware) on up is the same.

If you start going after heavy noise reduction, then the products features
in this area distinguish them from each other.

What processing to you intend to do?

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] MBennet40@hotmail.com is offline

If you would like to do some serious noise reduction and quality control in the software (this might take a little time), might I recommend a DAW that will host Waves noise reduction plugins?

There won't be a noticeable difference among Sonar, Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc., WHEN you are just converting 2 tracks to digital. They will all sound the same.
Now if you're mixing in depth, there will be a difference between programs.

So if you're just doing two track simple conversions without altering the recorded audio, Audacity is fine. In fact, you'd see more advantages from a $500 sound-card upgrade before a software upgrade.

Hope that helps!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Paul D. Spiegel Paul D. Spiegel is offline

I have been making digital recordings from my LPs and 45s to my Zoom H2. I
connect the pre-amp tape out to the line in. The Zoom records up to
96Khz/24 bit.

I then transfer the files to my PC and use Audacity to edit for a clean
track start/end followed by normalization. I use JRiver to downsample to
44.1/16 or burn CD's. I have been pleased with the results.

I tried the Audacity click and noise remover plug-ins, but to my ears
these made the recordings sound worse. There may be better options
available.

- Paul
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Frank[_11_] Frank[_11_] is offline

Il 30/09/2012 16.03, Paul D. Spiegel ha scritto:
I have been making digital recordings from my LPs and 45s to my Zoom H2. I
connect the pre-amp tape out to the line in. The Zoom records up to
96Khz/24 bit.

I then transfer the files to my PC and use Audacity to edit for a clean
track start/end followed by normalization. I use JRiver to downsample to
44.1/16 or burn CD's. I have been pleased with the results.

I tried the Audacity click and noise remover plug-ins, but to my ears
these made the recordings sound worse. There may be better options
available.

- Paul

ClickRepair by Brian Davies.

The best so far ... imho.