Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss Andrew Barss is offline

Default portable powered speaker sought

I teach at a university, and I and a colleague are looking for
a good-quality speaker to carry around and use in the classroom.
It needs to be portable, as each of us would be carrying it on a daily
basis.

This is going to be used both general speech reproduction, but
also used to play edited speech files that have to do with
spech recognition (my colleague is an expwerimental cognitive scientist
who does work on real-time language processing). The speaker needs to
be loud enough to be heard very clearly in a room of 15-35 students,
and have decent enough reproduction that details of the speech can be
heard well.

We've had poor luck with the small battery-powered speakers
we've tried (Altec-Lansing Orbits) and USB-powered ones. Dores anyone
know of either a single speaker, or a pair of speakers, that
would fit the bill? One that contains an internal amp would be
fine, so long as they're portable (single/mono speaker would be great, a
stereo pair would be okay, and a 2.1 system wouldn't be portable enough).
And one used with a portable amp would also be fine, so long as the amp is
pretty small (and reasonably priced). Many thanks --

-- Andy Barss

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
graham graham is offline

Give this site a look, it might have what you need...

http://audioengineusa.com/

"Andrew Barss" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Andrew Barss[_2_] Andrew Barss[_2_] is offline

graham wrote:
: Give this site a look, it might have what you need...

: http://audioengineusa.com/

Thanks -- the 2s might work, although I'd like to hear from a user about
the off-axis audibility -- I have a pair of MediaOne 4a speakers on my
desk now, and while they're nice, they have a tiny sweet spot.

-- Andy Barss