Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Rich Teer Rich Teer is offline

Default curved or straight tonearm?

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Edward wrote:

i'm looking at seriously upgrading the turntable situation for my "at
home" stereo set up. serious in the sense of quality and that i would
like this to be the last turntable i buy. maybe...
so my question is this: do i go with a curved or straight tonearm??
remember, this is for my home set up and not for taking out of the
house and DJ'ing with.

I don't think the shape of the arm is important per se, provided the
offset angle ends up being correct. That said, all the better arms
I can think of off the top of my head are straight, so I guess there's
your answer!

What TT are you planning to use, and what's your budget? (What cartridge
too?)

--
Rich Teer, Publisher
Vinylphile Magazine

www.vinylphilemag.com

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 13:46:02 -0700, Rich Teer wrote
(in article ):

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Edward wrote:

i'm looking at seriously upgrading the turntable situation for my "at
home" stereo set up. serious in the sense of quality and that i would
like this to be the last turntable i buy. maybe...
so my question is this: do i go with a curved or straight tonearm??
remember, this is for my home set up and not for taking out of the
house and DJ'ing with.

I don't think the shape of the arm is important per se, provided the
offset angle ends up being correct. That said, all the better arms
I can think of off the top of my head are straight, so I guess there's
your answer!

What TT are you planning to use, and what's your budget? (What cartridge
too?)

The shape is not important, PER SE. What is important is the position of the
stylus on the record with relation to the arm pivot point. Curved arms allow
for a more ideal tracking angle with a shorter distance from stylus tip to
pivot point, I.E., a physically shorter arm tube.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
isw isw is offline

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

[...]

Whether the arm is straight or curved won't affect the tracking angle,
provided you're willing to set the cartridge at an angle to the
(straight) arm. Another thing that is important is the mass of the arm
(including the pickup, of course) -- it should be as low as possible for
best tracking, especially of warped or eccentric records (of which there
are more than you think). In this, a straight arm with an offset
cartridge will win.

Isaac

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

Audio Empire wrote:
[...]

This is a common myth, but a myth, nonetheless.

Consider the following gedanken: Take ANY curved arm
shape you can imagine providing a "more ideal tracking
angle." Now, without changing the orientation of the
cartridge/stylus at all, draw a straight line between
the mounting point of the cartridge and the main
pivot of the tone arm, and replace the curved tone
arm with a straight tube follwiong that line. You
now have two different toen arms: one curved,
one straight, and BOTH provide the IDENTICAL "ideal
tracking angle."

Basically, what this tells us is tracking geometry
is not intrinsically linked to the shape of the tone
arm.

Beyond that, shape IS important for a number of
reasons.

All other things being equal, a straight tone arm
will have lower mass and higher mechanical stability
than a curved tone arm, and lower mass can be argued
as being a good thing. Even for those that might claim
that for a given cartridge, a higher moving mass is
required, that is trivially achieved by adding mass to
the mounting of the cartridge. It's MUCH more difficult
(read: it's pretty much impossible) to remove mass from
an arm whose mass is too high for a given cartridge.

One of the legitimate reasons for a curved arm is to
facilitate the design and implementation of a removable
headshell, along the lines of the original SME arm.
Here, a small machining facility (Small Model Engineering,
to be precise), had limited resources available. It used
a an existing 4-pin connector designed for another purpose
and used it to come up with a workable removable headshell.
Because the connector had to be straight-on, that dictated
the requirement of a curved tone arm in order to achieve the
offset angle required for proper tracking. Then, the use
of the size, material and wall thickness for the tone
arm tube put severe constraints on the amount and radius of
the bend in the tube before the tube ran the risk of collapse.
Finally, the the connector's mechanical requirements dictated
where thebend could occur.

The net result was that the shape of the old SME 3009 arm
tube was a compromise forced on the designers by the available
matericals and techniques on hand at the time (1950's).
It did, howver, establish a significant precedent for further
high-end arm design, a precedent whose origins were largely
lost in the usual high-end mythology and hype.

Subsequent justifications for curved tone arms, principally
by a number of Japanese manufactures in the 1970's, was that
a curved arm of the right profile could be statically
balanced by distributing the mass equally on either side
of the "imaginary" straight line connecting the pivot to
the stylus. But that same balance can be achieved, if it
is important, but simply using a straight tube along that
same imaginary straight line.

And, it's also interesting to note that for those arms where
this rtype of balance is crucial, i.e., unipivot arms, two
of the more pupoular unipivot arms, the A&D/Monks and the
Decca, BOTH used straight arm tubes with offset angles
implemented right at the headshell/mounting. The A&D "solved"
the quick interchangeability issue by allowing, through
its unique use of mercury-bath contacts, completely removable
arms, while the Decca solved it by simply not having quick
interchangeability.

Bottom line:

* Correct tracking angle idoes NOT require curved tone
arms.

* Any profile other than a straight line MUST have more
moving mass, all other things being equal.

Tone arm shape IS important, but the reasons often given
are irreleventa or just plain wrong.

Which is better: depends upon your requirements. Do
you need a commonly-available removable headshell
scheme (i.e. SME-type)? If yes, you're almost certainly
stuck with a curved tone arm? Do you require the absolute
minimum moving mass for your high-compliance cartridge?
Of yes, seek out straight tone arms with non-removable
headshells? Is achieving the correct tracking angle
important? If yes, arm shape is irrelevant. If no,
arm shape is still irrelevant.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rich Teer" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Edward wrote:

i'm looking at seriously upgrading the turntable situation for my "at
home" stereo set up. serious in the sense of quality and that i would
like this to be the last turntable i buy. maybe...
so my question is this: do i go with a curved or straight tonearm??
remember, this is for my home set up and not for taking out of the
house and DJ'ing with.

I don't think the shape of the arm is important per se, provided the
offset angle ends up being correct. That said, all the better arms
I can think of off the top of my head are straight, so I guess there's
your answer!

Correct. The shortest distance between the pivot and the stylus is always a
straight line. Therefore the straight tube with the cartridge mounted at an
appropriate offset angle and overhang distance is the most likely to have
minimal mass, all other things being equal.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:04:52 -0700, isw wrote
(in article ):

In article ,
Audio Empire wrote:

[...]

"(The mass of the arm) should be as low as possible for
best tracking"

Depends on the cartridge. Ideally, the total mass of the arm/cartridge,
combined with the stylus compliance should allow for a system resonance of
between 8-12 Hz. That would be a frequency lower than the lowest note on the
record (about 20 Hz for pedal notes) but above the frequency where foot-falls
and warped records would excite the system (around 6 Hz). Some cartridges
need low-mass arms to attain this ideal resonant frequency, and some need a
low-mass arm.

Generally speaking, Arms with high effective mass, when used in combination
with high-compliance cartridges will yield a resonant frequency which falls
below the ideal range making it susceptible to being being dislodged from the
groove by heavy footfalls and making the system overly sensitive to warp-wow.
On the other hand cartridges with low-compliance, used in conjunction with a
low-mass arm will move the system resonance up into the audible range,
resulting in overblown and muddy bass. Obviously both extremes should be
avoided for bast results.

While this is obviously simple physics, it is also one of the least
understood and one of the most ignored phases of most people's record playing
setups. People buy an arm (or a turntable/arm combo) and then pick a
cartridge based on reviews or upon having heard a certain model at a
friend's house or a hi-fi show, and pair the two without even a thought as to
compatibility. The industry hasn't helped much either. There are rarely any
guidelines given for pairing either arm or cartridge, and when there are,
they are vague and don't make a lot of sense to the average audiophile. What
the industry should have done, years ago, is to come up with some simple
number matching system for both arms and cartridges. Ideally, thei system
could have worked like this:

Cartridges could be classed using the numbering system 1 through 10 with 1
being an extremely high compliance cartridge and 10 being an extremely low
compliance cartridge. Then arms would be rated using the same scale 1 through
10, only with 1 being a low-mass arm and 10 being a high-mass arm. To gauge
compatibility all the buyer need do is match numbers. A cartridge with a
rating of 3 would match with an arm rated at three (with more or less
acceptable performance being obtained by using an arm rated from 2 to 4).
Some system like this would be very helpful, but nobody has ever done it.

I usually recommend that people buy complete turntable packages - preferably
those put together by the manufacturer, such as the Clearaudio Performance SE
Package (which comes equipped with suitable Benz MC cartridges) or the
various Rega or Music Hall turntable/cartridge combos. Generally speaking,
you'll get better performance with an inexpensive combo package where the arm
and cartridge are a well thought-out, synergistic system, than you will with
a more expensive setup where the arm/cartridge interface is left to chance.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:06:39 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
[...]

Which is what I said.

Beyond that, shape IS important for a number of
reasons.

All other things being equal, a straight tone arm
will have lower mass and higher mechanical stability
than a curved tone arm, and lower mass can be argued
as being a good thing.

Except when low-mass arms are combined with low compliance cartridges, and
make no mistake, there are plenty of high-end cartridges which are low
compliance.

Even for those that might claim
that for a given cartridge, a higher moving mass is
required, that is trivially achieved by adding mass to
the mounting of the cartridge. It's MUCH more difficult
(read: it's pretty much impossible) to remove mass from
an arm whose mass is too high for a given cartridge.

That's why matching arm to cartridge is so important. The best way I know to
render a large portion of a real-world record collection unplayable is to
afix a fairly low mass arm with a really high-compliance cartridge. The best
way I know to make one's records sound bass-heavy and muddy is to couple a
low mass tone arm with low compliance cartridge. And the result is FAR from
trivial in either case.

One of the legitimate reasons for a curved arm is to
facilitate the design and implementation of a removable
headshell, along the lines of the original SME arm.
Here, a small machining facility (Small Model Engineering,
to be precise), had limited resources available. It used
a an existing 4-pin connector designed for another purpose
and used it to come up with a workable removable headshell.
Because the connector had to be straight-on, that dictated
the requirement of a curved tone arm in order to achieve the
offset angle required for proper tracking. Then, the use
of the size, material and wall thickness for the tone
arm tube put severe constraints on the amount and radius of
the bend in the tube before the tube ran the risk of collapse.
Finally, the the connector's mechanical requirements dictated
where thebend could occur.

True enough.

The net result was that the shape of the old SME 3009 arm
tube was a compromise forced on the designers by the available
matericals and techniques on hand at the time (1950's).
It did, howver, establish a significant precedent for further
high-end arm design, a precedent whose origins were largely
lost in the usual high-end mythology and hype.

Subsequent justifications for curved tone arms, principally
by a number of Japanese manufactures in the 1970's, was that
a curved arm of the right profile could be statically
balanced by distributing the mass equally on either side
of the "imaginary" straight line connecting the pivot to
the stylus. But that same balance can be achieved, if it
is important, but simply using a straight tube along that
same imaginary straight line.

Yep.

And, it's also interesting to note that for those arms where
this rtype of balance is crucial, i.e., unipivot arms, two
of the more pupoular unipivot arms, the A&D/Monks and the
Decca, BOTH used straight arm tubes with offset angles
implemented right at the headshell/mounting. The A&D "solved"
the quick interchangeability issue by allowing, through
its unique use of mercury-bath contacts, completely removable
arms, while the Decca solved it by simply not having quick
interchangeability.

Bottom line:

* Correct tracking angle idoes NOT require curved tone
arms.

That's correct.

* Any profile other than a straight line MUST have more
moving mass, all other things being equal.

Also correct. But to say that low-mass in a tone arm is always desireable is
overly simplistic and not correct. The arm and cartridge must work together
as a synergistic system. Record players are mechanical systems and mechanical
systems have a number of criteria to meet before they can be considered a
successful solution.

Tone arm shape IS important, but the reasons often given
are irreleventa or just plain wrong.

Mostly they're irrelevant as there are, in engineering, usually more than one
path to a satisfactory solution.

Which is better: depends upon your requirements. Do
you need a commonly-available removable headshell
scheme (i.e. SME-type)? If yes, you're almost certainly
stuck with a curved tone arm? Do you require the absolute
minimum moving mass for your high-compliance cartridge?
Of yes, seek out straight tone arms with non-removable
headshells? Is achieving the correct tracking angle
important? If yes, arm shape is irrelevant. If no,
arm shape is still irrelevant.

Can't argue with your last statement.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:06:44 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Rich Teer" wrote in message
[...]

Again with the mythology that low-mass in a tone arm is always desirable. It
is NOT. Low mass and low compliance does not work just as high-mass and high
compliance don't work. Mass in an arm is, in no way, and indicator of an
arm's quality just as compliance in a cartridge is no measure of a
cartridge's quality. To say that these are indicators of quality or
performance (in and of themselves) is akin to asserting that a
high-efficiency speaker performs better than a low efficiency speaker and for
pretty much similar reasons.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:06:39 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
All other things being equal, a straight tone arm
will have lower mass and higher mechanical stability
than a curved tone arm, and lower mass can be argued
as being a good thing.

Except when low-mass arms are combined with low compliance cartridges, and
make no mistake, there are plenty of high-end cartridges which are low
compliance.

Except that it's a trivial excercise to increase the mass of
a low-mass arm to something suitable.

Even for those that might claim
that for a given cartridge, a higher moving mass is
required, that is trivially achieved by adding mass to
the mounting of the cartridge. It's MUCH more difficult
(read: it's pretty much impossible) to remove mass from
an arm whose mass is too high for a given cartridge.

That's why matching arm to cartridge is so important. The best way I know to
render a large portion of a real-world record collection unplayable is to
afix a fairly low mass arm with a really high-compliance cartridge. The best
way I know to make one's records sound bass-heavy and muddy is to couple a
low mass tone arm with low compliance cartridge. And the result is FAR from
trivial in either case.

I did not say it's a trivial case. I said that if a higher
mass is required, which is the same as saying if the
effective arm mass is too low, the proper mass trivially
achieved by adding mass.

The same is NOT the case for an arm whose mass is already
too high: there is no real-world solution for reducing the
effective mass of an arm.

* Any profile other than a straight line MUST have more
moving mass, all other things being equal.

Also correct. But to say that low-mass in a tone arm is always desireable is
overly simplistic and not correct. The arm and cartridge must work together
as a synergistic system. Record players are mechanical systems and mechanical
systems have a number of criteria to meet before they can be considered a
successful solution.

Are we not getting it? If the mass of an arm is too low,
then ADD MASS TO IT. Why does this seem such a difficult
concept? A low-mass arm uis a far more suitable solution
for a much wider range of cartridge compliances than a high
mass arm. A low mass arm can work very well as-is for high-
compliance cartridges, can work very well for moderate-
compliance cartidges with the addition of a little extra mass,
and can work very well for low-compliance cartridges with
the addition of suitably greater amount of mass.

Thus it CAN be argued that a low-mass arm is suitable for
a wider range of cartridges than a high-mass arm simply
through the expedient of adjusting the mass accordingly.

The same is absolutely NOT true of high-mass arms.

Do you not agree, and if not, why not?

Tone arm shape IS important, but the reasons often given
are irreleventa or just plain wrong.

Mostly they're irrelevant as there are, in engineering,
usually more than one path to a satisfactory solution.

And as is often the case in high-end audio, for ever
path to a satisfactory solution, there are many more
paths to unsatisfactory solutions that are highly
revered.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:06:44 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):
Correct. The shortest distance between the pivot and the stylus is always a
straight line. Therefore the straight tube with the cartridge mounted at an
appropriate offset angle and overhang distance is the most likely to have
minimal mass, all other things being equal.

Again with the mythology that low-mass in a tone arm is always desirable. It
is NOT. Low mass and low compliance does not work just as high-mass and high
compliance don't work.

Fine, add mass to a low mass tone arm.

What's the problem?

Mass in an arm is, in no way, and indicator of an
arm's quality just as compliance in a cartridge is no measure of a
cartridge's quality. To say that these are indicators of quality or
performance (in and of themselves) is akin to asserting that a
high-efficiency speaker performs better than a low efficiency speaker and for
pretty much similar reasons.

No, mass IS an indicator of the RANGE of suitable compliances.

A low mass arm can be auitably and satsifactorily adapted
to a much wider range of cartridge compliances than a high-
mass arm.

With a high-mass arm, you are stuck with using low compliance
cartridges. You can't use high-compliance cartridges to
achieve reasonable performance.

With a low mass arm, you can use cartridges ranging from
low compliance to high compliance simply through the use
of appropriate additional mass.

What's the problem?

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Rich Teer" wrote in message
[...]

I agree. The mass and the compliance of the cartridge need to be matched so
that as you say, the tone arm resonance is in the 8 to 12 Hz region.
Ideally, the counterweight is also suspended in such a way that it becomes a
vibration absorber tuned to the resonance frequency of the arm.

I also agree with what Scott points out, which is that so called linear
tracking is preferable to a laterally pivoted tracking arm, all other things
being equal. In fact mostlinear tracking arms have a lateral pivot, but the
pivot is on a sled or trolly that moves across the record to minimize the
lateral deflection of the pivot. One big advantage of linear tracking is
reduction of low frequency FM distortion due to warping, eccentricity and
low frequency program material.

Mass is is pretty easy to add, but hard to subtract when excess mass is
inherent in a design. Therefore starting out with a design with the lowest
possible mass is often a good idea. The curved arms look sexy, and often
cause no harm.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 06:35:42 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

"Rich Teer" wrote in message
[...]

The problem with adding mass is knowing how much mass to add to obtain the
desired result and almost as importantly, where to add it. The math is pretty
obscure for making those determinations, and often the required parameters
are not forthcoming from the manufacturer. For instance, while some
cartridges' enclosed data sheets include the cartridge's mass and compliance,
not all do. Also, you need to know lots of things about the arm that aren't
generally known by the buyer.

Of course, most people just use trial and error - and it's mostly error. Like
I said in an earlier post the industry would benefit form some kind of
standard compatibility rating system. A simple match-the-numbers scheme would
be ideal. But it has never been done and I don't even know if anyone has ever
even proposed such a standard. The closest to it (AFAIK) was the "P-mount"
scheme of the late 70's where all P-mount arms were the same mass and
effective length and all P-mount cartridges were the same weight, same
compliance, same tracking force, and same stylus tip to pivot distance, same
VTA, etc. That didn't go over very well for any but the most inexpensive of
mass market players. I think the original Blue-Point high-output MC cartridge
was the "highest-end" P-mount cartridge ever offered.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:
The problem with adding mass is knowing how much
mass to add to obtain the desired result

Yhe problem with buying a high-mass tone arm is
knowing how much mass to buy to obtain the
desired result.

How, then, is the problem of adding mass to
an existing tone arm ANY different than selecting
the right arm mass (and, thus the "right" arm)
to begin with?

Both require EXACTLY the same starting information:
what mass is needed, and what is the mass of the arm.
Then the issue of adding mass is pretty damned simple:
subtract the existing mass from the required mass.
If the result is a positive number, add that mass,
if the result is a negative number, your arm mass
is too high for the cartridge chosen.

and almost as importantly, where to add it.

You're kidding, right? If 5 grams of additional
mass are needed, add 5 grams at the catridge.

The math is pretty obscure for making those determinations,

Really? If the recommended total moving mass is,
oh, 15 grams, the arm contributes 7 of those and
the cartridge adds 5, why is:

15g - 7g - 5g = 3g

obscure?

and often the required parameters are not forthcoming from
the manufacturer.

Like? Not an example, how about a comprehensive list as
an aid for those actually interested in the substance
of the discussion?

For instance, while some
cartridges' enclosed data sheets include the cartridge's mass and compliance,
not all do.

Why is this not a problem for choosing a high-mass vs low
mass arm, but IS a problem for adding mass to a low mass arm?

Also, you need to know lots of things about the arm that aren't
generally known by the buyer.

What "lot of things about the arm that aren't generally
known" aren't a problem for selecting a high-mass vs low-
mass arm but are a problem for adding mass to a low-mass arm?

Of course, most people just use trial and error - and it's mostly error. Like
I said in an earlier post the industry would benefit form some kind of
standard compatibility rating system. A simple match-the-numbers scheme would
be ideal. But it has never been done

Yes, it hasL: I did it 40 years ago. Many other people did.
The fact that the bulk of the high-end audio realm is
terrified of early high-school math is no excuse.

and I don't even know if anyone has ever
even proposed such a standard.

DIN, for one.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dick Pierce[_2_] Dick Pierce[_2_] is offline

In rereading, I find the following claim to be,
well, extraordinary:
Audio Empire wrote:
A simple match-the-numbers scheme would be ideal.
But it has never been done and I don't even know
if anyone has ever even proposed such a standard.

A simple google search suggests, somewhat overwhelmingly
if I may, the opposite. I had the idea of revising the
table I generated some 4 decades ago and, to populate
it, went searching for "phono cartridge compliance" and
got thousands of hits, including some in the top 10
which included precisely such a scheme. There's even
one site that has available a spreadsheet which has
a database of arm and cartridge specs that allows one
to easily calculate the resulting catridge/arm resonance.

Empire, in talking about "pretty obscure math", "the
required parameters are not forthcoming from the manufacturer,"
"lots of things about the arm that aren't generally known,"
and such might lead one to believe it's a mysterious, poorly
studied and largely unsolved problem. Indeed, it may be
to some, but the information and techniques have been well
understood by many for a long time.

The information is out there for anyone who wants to take the
minimal trouble to find it.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

Mass is is pretty easy to add, but hard to subtract when excess mass is
inherent in a design. Therefore starting out with a design with the
lowest
possible mass is often a good idea. The curved arms look sexy, and often
cause no harm.

The problem with adding mass is knowing how much mass to add to obtain
the
desired result and almost as importantly, where to add it.

First off, since we have a system that rotates about pivots, it is not mass
that we want to add, it is intertia.

Inertia is maximized when the mass is added as far from the pivot as
possible.

The math is pretty
obscure for making those determinations, and often the required parameters
are not forthcoming from the manufacturer.

I wouldn't even go there. Experimentation is the way to do.

For instance, while some
cartridges' enclosed data sheets include the cartridge's mass and
compliance,
not all do. Also, you need to know lots of things about the arm that
aren't
generally known by the buyer.

Also, the resonance of the arm depends on the compliance of the stylus which
my not be specified or may be specified as a marketing number.

Of course, most people just use trial and error - and it's mostly error.

Until you add measurements.

The interesting thing about tone arm resonance is that you don't even need a
test record to measure it - the arm usually resonates strongly enough due to
warp and the like that it shows up big and strong, right there on the FFT.
Of course only about one vinylphile in a thousand or less actually measures
such things, even though the incremental cost is nearly zero.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Arny Krueger wrote:
First off, since we have a system that rotates about pivots, it is not mass
that we want to add, it is intertia.

Inertia is maximized when the mass is added as far from the pivot as
possible.

Actually, while not wrong, it's not quite right either.

All of the various masses which move when teh tone
arm moves, indeed, contribute to the total rotational
moment of inertia of the system. The moment of inertia
of a rotating system is in units of kg m^2.

However, pick any one point on the system: in this
case the stylus point. Divide the total rotational
moment of inertia by the distance to the rotational
center squared, and the result is the effective, simple
mass of the whole system seen at that point. Not inertia,
mass (as in kilograms, grams, stones or whatever unit
is convenient).

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Arny Krueger wrote:
Ideally, the counterweight is also suspended in such
a way that it becomes a vibration absorber tuned to
the resonance frequency of the arm.

Sorry, doesn't work. What such a sceme ends up
doing is turning a second order resonant system
into a 4th order resonant system, and unless you
get ALL of the parameters right: cantilever
compliance, arm mass, counterweight suspension
compliance, counterweight mass, canitlever and
pivot losses, counterweight suspension losses,
it's more likely you'll end up with a WORSE
performance than a better one. It's a problem
that, physically, is completely analogous to
a vented box speaker system, and your suggestion
is reminicent of people taking a sealed box speaker,
punching a hole and sticking a port in and assuming
the result can only be better. It can only be better
if you START with a proper system design to begin
with: this fact is as true for your tone arm scheme
as it is for a loudspeaker system.

--
+--------------------------------+
+ Dick Pierce |
+ Professional Audio Development |
+--------------------------------+

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 06:27:46 -0700, ScottW wrote
(in article ):

On Sep 27, 6:35=A0am, Dick Pierce wrote:

Thus it CAN be argued that a low-mass arm is suitable for
a wider range of cartridges than a high-mass arm simply
through the expedient of adjusting the mass accordingly.

I've got headshells that span a range of 6 grams though I admit I've
never seen the need for those billet aluminum Sumiko shells.

ScottW

I bought a bunch of those Ortofon aluminum SH-4 headshells

http://tinyurl.com/3peeng8

They come in gray, blue, red and black and the different colors are perfect
for swapping cartridges. I keep them in one of those Shure hard-plastic
cartridge carry cases which holds four headshells with cartridges.

http://tinyurl.com/3vzjzsz

I must admit that I bought the headshells new, at an electronics flea-market
for $10 each. But even at $25 ea they're still a good buy.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 06:30:28 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
The problem with adding mass is knowing how much
mass to add to obtain the desired result

Yhe problem with buying a high-mass tone arm is
knowing how much mass to buy to obtain the
desired result.

Of course, but that applies to any tone arm/cartridge combo.

How, then, is the problem of adding mass to
an existing tone arm ANY different than selecting
the right arm mass (and, thus the "right" arm)
to begin with?

It's not. Just saying....

Both require EXACTLY the same starting information:
what mass is needed, and what is the mass of the arm.
Then the issue of adding mass is pretty damned simple:
subtract the existing mass from the required mass.
If the result is a positive number, add that mass,
if the result is a negative number, your arm mass
is too high for the cartridge chosen.

Couldn't agree more. And often that info is hard to come by.

and almost as importantly, where to add it.

You're kidding, right? If 5 grams of additional
mass are needed, add 5 grams at the catridge.

Do you need a bigger counterweight when you add mass? Is one available? How
do you KNOW that you need to add or subtract weight? If you do have to add or
subtract weight, how does one know how much?

The math is pretty obscure for making those determinations,

Really? If the recommended total moving mass is,
oh, 15 grams, the arm contributes 7 of those and
the cartridge adds 5, why is:

15g - 7g - 5g = 3g

obscure?

Yeah, For instance, how do you know what the recommended total moving mass
is? Few arm makers (if any) supply that info.

and often the required parameters are not forthcoming from
the manufacturer.

Like? Not an example, how about a comprehensive list as
an aid for those actually interested in the substance
of the discussion?

For instance, while some
cartridges' enclosed data sheets include the cartridge's mass and
compliance,
not all do.

Why is this not a problem for choosing a high-mass vs low
mass arm, but IS a problem for adding mass to a low mass arm?

Who said it wasn't?

Also, you need to know lots of things about the arm that aren't
generally known by the buyer.

What "lot of things about the arm that aren't generally
known" aren't a problem for selecting a high-mass vs low-
mass arm but are a problem for adding mass to a low-mass arm?

Who said that this is only a problem with adding mass to a low-mass arm? I'm
afraid you are conflating two different topics here.

Of course, most people just use trial and error - and it's mostly error.
Like
I said in an earlier post the industry would benefit form some kind of
standard compatibility rating system. A simple match-the-numbers scheme
would
be ideal. But it has never been done

Yes, it hasL: I did it 40 years ago. Many other people did.
The fact that the bulk of the high-end audio realm is
terrified of early high-school math is no excuse.

So your method has been adopted by the entire audio industry as a standard?
Is it called the Pierce method? Where does one find this "Pierce Standard"
mentioned in the literature that accompanies arms and cartridges? How come
I've never seen it?

And that most audiophiles aren't technical enough to know how to use the math
to determine the ideal combo of cartridge and arm is just a fact. That the
consumer would NEED to know this math (and the parameters to plug into it)
shows a shortcoming on the industry side of things, not the consumer side.

and I don't even know if anyone has ever
even proposed such a standard.

DIN, for one.

So I can find this simple cartridge/arm matching DIN standard accompanying
any arm or cartridge that I buy? I have the literature for both a Jelco
SA-750 arm in front of me as well as the enclosed data sheet for a Grado
Reference1 cartridge. In neither data sheet do I see a "Pierce Number" that
would allow me to use your 40 year-old "standard" to select a suitable match
for either. I don't see any DIN spec for that purpose either. Not only that,
but the Jelco Arm specs don't specify a suitable cartridge mass and
compliance range, and while the Grado specs do give the cartridge weight at
6.5 grams, nowhere do I see its compliance mentioned. I also do not see any
arm mass recommendations and that's my main point. The industry is no help
here, and most audio types never even think about these issues when
purchasing either an arm or a cartridge. If you ask the average vinyl
aficionado about getting the arm/cartridge resonance correct, he might
remember reading something about it somewhere, but I'll guarantee that most
just buy whatever cartridge or arm strikes their fancy without any regard for
the compatibility issues raised. I'll bet that the vast majority of phono
rigs out there today lie well outside of the ideal 8-12 Hz and that a lot of
vinyl lovers are putting up with rigs that have excessive warp-wow problems;
suffer from muddy or boomy bass or are overly sensitive to foot-falls, and
the owners of these rigs have never even thought about the "why" of the
issue!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 06:30:52 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
[...]

No argument there, but they shouldn't HAVE TO look for it, and THAT'S the
point!

Each arm and each cartridge should have enough data accompanying it that
anyone, irrespective of his or her technical acumen, should be able to look
at a prospective arm or cartridge purchase and know, immediately, whether or
not it's compatible with their existing equipment. That's why I have long
advocated for a simple number matching system for both arms and cartridges
that would be included in the specs for each and would allow the consumer to
choose either with the assurance that they will yield the ideal resonance
frequency when used together. For instance: "My arm is a '#5', therefore I
need a '#5' cartridge for it." Such a scheme would be simple, elegant and
foolproof. Yet, such a system, as I said before, does not exist as a
universally used industry standard as far as I can see.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 10:17:58 -0700, Dick Pierce wrote
(in article ):

Arny Krueger wrote:
[...]

And that's true of any system designed to work as a synergistic whole. For
instance, with sealed box speakers, it's often true that the driver(s) rely
on the air sealed inside the box to be a part of the cone's suspension. Punch
a hole in the box, and even if the port is designed and executed correctly,
it still won't work because the cone, no longer pushing against trapped air,
will sag.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
Arny Krueger wrote:

Ideally, the counterweight is also suspended in such
a way that it becomes a vibration absorber tuned to
the resonance frequency of the arm.

Sorry, doesn't work. What such a sceme ends up
doing is turning a second order resonant system
into a 4th order resonant system, and unless you
get ALL of the parameters right: cantilever
compliance, arm mass, counterweight suspension
compliance, counterweight mass, canitlever and
pivot losses, counterweight suspension losses,
it's more likely you'll end up with a WORSE
performance than a better one.

The above conclusion seems excessively negative. Most technical advances I
know of make things worse unless you get your parameters right, so why say
flatly that every tone arm vibration absorber "...doesn't work".?

They work if you do your homework.

There's no reason why a manufactorer couldn't make this technology work well
if they can control or guide the relevant parameters. For example, making a
vibration absorber work in a standardized tone arm based on P-mount
cartridges should be simple enough. I suspect this may be done quite often -
I just haven't kept up with practical implementations well enough to know.

It's a problem
that, physically, is completely analogous to
a vented box speaker system, and your suggestion
is reminicent of people taking a sealed box speaker,
punching a hole and sticking a port in and assuming
the result can only be better.

This paragaph seems equally and unecessarily negative. Vented box speakers
have become widely accepted by the audio industry for both home and
professional use. The turning point was the classic Thiel-Small paper
relating speaker parameters to box design. I watched the evolution of vented
box designs from the mid-1950s and it was known all along that random
combinations of boxes, drivers and vents didn't work. As far as it goes, the
same is true to a great extent in unvented box speaker systems. Grotesque
sound quality is likely with a random design whether or not the box was
vented.

It can only be better
if you START with a proper system design to begin
with: this fact is as true for your tone arm scheme
as it is for a loudspeaker system.

I totally agree.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Audio Empire wrote:
The problem with adding mass is knowing how much
mass to add to obtain the desired result

Yhe problem with buying a high-mass tone arm is
knowing how much mass to buy to obtain the
desired result.

A problem being that there are few if any audio products that are designed
to add mass to an existing tone arm, and few tone arms are designed or
shipped with the resources to manage their mass.

How, then, is the problem of adding mass to
an existing tone arm ANY different than selecting
the right arm mass (and, thus the "right" arm)
to begin with?

Excellent point. Other than random anecdotes saying that this cartridge
"sounds good" when mounted in a certain tone arm, there seems to be very
little organized guidance for the purchaser. The idea of scientifically
managing tone arm mass for a given cartridge seems to be as lost on the high
end audio industry as the idea of using electrical equalization.

One could be cynical, and say that by witholding this information, the high
end audio industry maximizes market churn of tone arms and cartridges and
gives people in the sales chain more control over customer behavior. I would
prefer to believe that the actual issue is simple ignorance and mental
laziness.

Both require EXACTLY the same starting information:
what mass is needed, and what is the mass of the arm.

Exactly. And for the most part, I can only wish great luck to any audiophile
who wishes to match tone arms and cartridges. Unlike other areas of audio,
the goal which is a somewhat damped resonance in the 8-12 Hz region can be
stated and justified reasonably simply. Doesn't matter, most of the high end
tone arm industry seems to run the other way from this science, as well.

Then the issue of adding mass is pretty damned simple:
subtract the existing mass from the required mass.
If the result is a positive number, add that mass,
if the result is a negative number, your arm mass
is too high for the cartridge chosen.

and almost as importantly, where to add it.

You're kidding, right? If 5 grams of additional
mass are needed, add 5 grams at the catridge.

Ignores the fact that adding 5 grams in the vicinity of the cartridge
generally needs to be offset by corresponding changes at the counterweight
end to maintain a consistent tracking force.

What to do if your tone arm has too much mass for the cartridge? Damped
brushes that help support the cartridge, such as those provided with some
cartridges by Shure, would seem to be a step in the right direction. P-mount
cartridges, which seem to be easy enough to match to a standardized tone arm
design, are another viable approach.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 06:40:08 -0700, Arny Krueger wrote
(in article ):

Audio Empire wrote:
The problem with adding mass is knowing how much
mass to add to obtain the desired result

Yhe problem with buying a high-mass tone arm is
knowing how much mass to buy to obtain the
desired result.

A problem being that there are few if any audio products that are designed
to add mass to an existing tone arm, and few tone arms are designed or
shipped with the resources to manage their mass.

This too is very true.

How, then, is the problem of adding mass to
an existing tone arm ANY different than selecting
the right arm mass (and, thus the "right" arm)
to begin with?

Excellent point. Other than random anecdotes saying that this cartridge
"sounds good" when mounted in a certain tone arm, there seems to be very
little organized guidance for the purchaser. The idea of scientifically
managing tone arm mass for a given cartridge seems to be as lost on the high
end audio industry as the idea of using electrical equalization.

Just as I've been saying all along. Most 'vinylphiles' never think about it,
and as a consequence, get it wrong. I'll bet there are many more mismatches
between cartridge and arm out there than there are setups that get it right!

One could be cynical, and say that by witholding this information, the high
end audio industry maximizes market churn of tone arms and cartridges and
gives people in the sales chain more control over customer behavior. I would
prefer to believe that the actual issue is simple ignorance and mental
laziness.

I'd say it's a combination of ignorance combined with the fact that there is
no easy, foolproof way for a consumer to know ahead of time (pre-purchase)
what arms are compatible with what cartridges.

Both require EXACTLY the same starting information:
what mass is needed, and what is the mass of the arm.

Exactly. And for the most part, I can only wish great luck to any audiophile
who wishes to match tone arms and cartridges. Unlike other areas of audio,
the goal which is a somewhat damped resonance in the 8-12 Hz region can be
stated and justified reasonably simply. Doesn't matter, most of the high end
tone arm industry seems to run the other way from this science, as well.

And it would be so easy to come-up with a system for doing this that would
make matching these components a simple pre-purchase task.

[...]

Exactly, but P-mount never really took-off, except with cheap, mass-market
Japanese turntables in the late seventies and early eighties.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Sep 29, 6:40=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Dick Pierce" wrote in message

Audio Empire wrote:
The problem with adding mass =A0is knowing how much
mass to add to obtain the desired result

Yhe problem with buying a high-mass tone arm is
knowing how much mass to buy to obtain the
desired result.

A problem being that there are few if any audio products that are designe=

to add mass to an existing tone arm, and few tone arms are designed or
shipped with the resources to manage their mass.

Have you actually looked into this? There are a lot of pickup arms
out there. Mine was most certainly shipped with the "resources" to
manage it's mass both in the lateral and vertical directions.

How, then, is the problem of adding mass to
an existing tone arm ANY different than selecting
the right arm mass (and, thus the "right" arm)
to begin with?

Excellent point. Other than random anecdotes saying that this cartridge
"sounds good" when mounted in a certain tone arm, there seems to be very
little organized guidance for the purchaser.

Where have you been looking? Have you tried talking to...say...the
manufacturers of various pickup arms and cartridges? Really, it takes
a minimal effort to find out if you have a compatatbility issue
between a cartridge and a pickup arm if you are considering one or the
other for an upgrade.

=A0The idea of scientifically
managing tone arm mass for a given cartridge seems to be as lost on the h=

igh
end audio industry as the idea of using electrical equalization.

"scientifically managing?" This is vinyl playback 101 material. Do you
really think the designers and manufacturers of modern day high end
pickup arms and cartridges are actually oblivious to something as
basic as arm/cartridge resonant frequencies?

One could be cynical, and say that by witholding this information, the hi=

gh
end audio industry maximizes market churn of tone arms and cartridges and
gives people in the sales chain more control over customer behavior.

Who is witholding information? What manufacturer have you contacted of
any cartridge or pickup arm has refused to give you the basic
information about the effective mass or compliance of their product?

I would
prefer to believe that the actual issue is simple ignorance and mental
laziness.

On whose part?

Both require EXACTLY the same starting information:
what mass is needed, and what is the mass of the arm.

Exactly. And for the most part, I can only wish great luck to any audioph=

ile
who wishes to match tone arms and cartridges.

There is no luck involved Arny. It's actually really simple to get the
info. And it is also really simple to check with a test record. Again
this is vinyl playback 101 material.

Unlike other areas of audio,
the goal which is a somewhat damped resonance in the 8-12 Hz region can b=

stated and justified reasonably simply. Doesn't matter, most of the high =

end
tone arm industry seems to run the other way from this science, as well.

Really? What manufacturer of high end pickup arm or cartridge is
stating that this is not the desired goal for the arm/cartridge
resonant frequency? What, by the way, do you mean by "somewhat
damped?" What real world resonance in an actual real world suspension
of any sort can not be called "somewhat" damped? Do you know of a
perpetual motion suspension?

What to do if your tone arm has too much mass for the cartridge?

You don't wait to find this out until after you have bought a new
cartridge. You check before hand.

Damped
brushes that help support the cartridge, such as those provided with some
cartridges by Shure, would seem to be a step in the right direction.

How does this change the compliance of a cartridge?

P-mount
cartridges, which seem to be easy enough to match to a standardized tone =

arm
design, are another viable approach.

Unless one is actually interested in high end quality vinyl playback.

You guys are more than welcome to debate this stuff amongst yourselves
but don't act like this is stuff the designers and manufacturers of
high end pickup arms and cartridges don't know about or keep secret.
Any such belief is evidence of a complete disconnect from high end
audio rather than a reflection of high end audio.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:43:52 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

You guys are more than welcome to debate this stuff amongst yourselves
but don't act like this is stuff the designers and manufacturers of
high end pickup arms and cartridges don't know about or keep secret.
Any such belief is evidence of a complete disconnect from high end
audio rather than a reflection of high end audio.

I think you're missing the point. Sure, you can call the manufacturer and get
the info you need to figure this stuff out, but it's not generally included
in either the pre-sales or the enclosed product literature. Just hope the
manufacturer is domestic as getting this info from a Japanese or a German
company might prove problematical if you don't speak the language and I've
found that the domestic importer/rep often doesn't know any more about the
product than what came with the sales literature.

It's not that this info isn't available, or that the math involved is that
difficult, it's just that consumers shouldn't have to know any of these
things or perform the math in order to make an intelligent buying decision.
This information needs to be made simple, be widely used by the industry and
be fool-proof. At the present, it is none of those things.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Sep 29, 8:01=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:43:52 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

You guys are more than welcome to debate this stuff amongst yourselves
but don't act like this is stuff the designers and manufacturers of
high end pickup arms and cartridges don't know about or keep secret.
Any such belief is evidence of a complete disconnect from high end
audio rather than a reflection of high end audio.

I think you're missing the point. Sure, you can call the manufacturer and=

get
the info you need to figure this stuff out, but it's not generally includ=

ed
in either the pre-sales or the enclosed product literature.

Seriously? That is the point? OK for giggles sake let's say that as
the point. Let's examine it for a moment.

Just hope the
manufacturer is domestic as getting this info from a Japanese or a German
company might prove problematical if you don't speak the language and I'v=

found that the domestic importer/rep often doesn't know any more about th=

product than what came with the sales literature.

As it happens I have a Koetsu cartridge. I don't speak Japanese. So
let's see how hard it actually is to get that info. A quick internet
search turned this up
http://koetsuusa.com/koetsu_products2.htm
http://store.acousticsounds.com/pdf/...comparison.pdf

And this is Koetsu. Famous for being shrouded in myth and mystery.

It's not that this info isn't available, or that the math involved is tha=

difficult, it's just that consumers shouldn't have to know any of these
things or perform the math in order to make an intelligent buying decisio=

n.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Audio Empire" wrote in message

What to do if your tone arm has too much mass for the cartridge? Damped
brushes that help support the cartridge, such as those provided with some
cartridges by Shure, would seem to be a step in the right direction.
P-mount
cartridges, which seem to be easy enough to match to a standardized tone
arm
design, are another viable approach.

Exactly, but P-mount never really took-off, except with cheap, mass-market
Japanese turntables in the late seventies and early eighties.

There are some modern examples of P-mount cartridges, some for audiophile
use, some for DJ use:

http://www.lpgear.com/category/T4P.html

http://www.planetdj.com/i--M92E

http://www.planetdj.com/i--L720EE

http://www.needledoctor.com/Brand-St...ono-Cartridges

Technics still sells a turntable with a P-Mount tone arm the budget category
(SLB20D). People must still be buying new P-Mount cartridges for some far
more expensive legacy models, based on the pricing of some of these
currently sold P-Mount cartridges.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sep 29, 6:40 am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Dick Pierce" wrote in message
A problem being that there are few if any audio products that are designed
to add mass to an existing tone arm, and few tone arms are designed or
shipped with the resources to manage their mass.

Have you actually looked into this?

Of course.

There are a lot of pickup arms

out there. Mine was most certainly shipped with the "resources" to
manage it's mass both in the lateral and vertical directions.

Since you haven't said which tone arm you are talking about, your comment
lacks substantiation.

The following are the first examples of tone arm user manuals that I found
online (no cherry-picking) and they are all highly deficient.

Here is the owners manual for the well-known SME M-2 tone arm:

http://www.sumikoaudio.net/sme/manua...ms_modelm2.pdf

I defy you to substantiate your claims with quotes from it.

Here is another, which specifies its mass, but again says nothing about what
to do for cartridges that don't a priori match it:

http://www.eliteavdist.com/images/ma...%20TONEARM.pdf

Here is another example for a highly popular arm:

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/RB25...STRUCTIONS.pdf

No specs for mass, compliance or anything like it!

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/RB1000%20Booklet.pdf

Spending more money does not get you better specs or instructions.

http://www.rega.co.uk/downloads/RB1000%20Booklet.pdf

On this one you have your choice of weights to get the arm to balance, but
again no guidance or facilities for dealing with mass/compliance issues.

I'd say that my claim is already fully supported!

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 30, 8:46=A0am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:

Technics still sells a turntable with a P-Mount tone arm the budget categ=

ory
(SLB20D).

That model has been out of production for a number of years. A shame,
really, as it was a definite step up from the cheapo "USB turntables"
the typical non-audiophile is likely to come across. With an upgraded
cart (easily found, as you noted), it could hold its own with the
entry-level models from Pro-Ject, Music Hall, etc. And the p-mount
made it beginner-proof. I bought one for my dad when he wanted to dust
off his classical music collection (I still have it, modified to play
78s), and I used to recommend it to people looking for a really
inexpensive but decent turntable.

Even though the cartridges are still available, I don't know of anyone
making p-mount tables anymore.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:33:17 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

[...]

Or P-mount arms. The reason is likely due to the limited cartridge selection
available.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 05:45:45 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

[...]

The math is what it is. Matching arms and cartridges has been
presented in simpler form. Arms and cartridges have been divided by
the press and the manufacturers by high, medium and low mass arms and
high, medium and low compliance cartridges. To ask that it be fool
proof is unreasonable. Fools make it impossible. It IS widely used in
the high end. Honestly can you name one dealer that you know of that
sent ANY customer out the door with a mismatched arm and cartridge?

IME this is a major non-problem in high end audio.

It's elitist attitudes like yours - that there is no problem for true
audiophiles and to hell with everybody else (If they aren't willing to take
the time, do the research, and learn the math, then they aren't worthy to
have a decent arm and cartridge to play their records) that push newcomers
away from the audio hobby, in my opinion. Manufacturers should be striving to
make this as easy as possible.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 30, 5:28=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:

It's elitist attitudes like yours - that there is no problem for true
audiophiles and to hell with everybody else (If they aren't willing to ta=

ke
the time, do the research, and learn the math, then they aren't worthy to
have a decent arm and cartridge to play their records) that push newcomer=

away from the audio hobby, in my opinion.

Well, push them away from analog, at any rate. A lot of other factors
pushing them away from audio in general, including the 'phile
priesthood thing.

Manufacturers should be striving to
make this as easy as possible.

Agreed. So should the rags, instead of off-loading their analog
reviews to dimwitted sociopaths who only know what the pricetags tell
them.

No names mentioned, of course.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Sep 30, 5:27=A0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 08:33:17 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

Even though the cartridges are still available, I don't know of anyone
making p-mount tables anymore.

Or P-mount arms. The reason is likely due to the limited cartridge select=

ion
available.

Mebbe, but I think you've got a classic chicken-and-egg problem here.
The most likely explanation is that p-mount came along too late in
analog's lifespan to really catch on before the kool kids started
losing interest in vinyl (beginning, really, with the Walkman era).
Audiophiles stuck with analog, but they were never going to embrace p-
mount. It was a mass market technology, and the masses weren't so
interested anymore.

If p-mount had been invented in 1970 instead of 1980, it might have
developed into the dominant and lasting technology for low-end
turntables. Which would have been a good thing for audio in general.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:46:50 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

[...]

I think you have a valid point there. Like they say, timing is everything. No
high-end arm maker ever came out with a p-mount arm. Therefore, no really
high-end P-mount cartridges were ever marketed in the format. Like I said the
original Blue Point is the "highest-end" P-mount I recall. If someone such as
SME or EMT, or perhaps Graham had produced a P-mount arm, things might have
been very different.

Of course, other attempts at a standard solution were tried. Anybody remember
the original B&O arm and cartridge? or the Ortofon cartridges that came
integral as part of an SME head shell (and are still available)? These
schemes never took off either.

OTOH, if you still have one of those gorgeous SLT B&O turntables from the
1980's, Soundsmith still makes modern, but rather expensive VR cartridges
that will fit it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Scott[_6_] Scott[_6_] is offline

On Sep 29, 8:01=3DA0pm, Audio Empire wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 16:43:52 -0700, Scott wrote
(in article ):

You guys are more than welcome to debate this stuff amongst yourselve=

but don't act like this is stuff the designers and manufacturers of
high end pickup arms and cartridges don't know about or keep secret.
Any such belief is evidence of a complete disconnect from high end
audio rather than a reflection of high end audio.

I think you're missing the point. Sure, you can call the manufacturer =

and=3D
=A0get
the info you need to figure this stuff out, but it's not generally inc=

lud=3D
ed
in either the pre-sales or the enclosed product literature.

Seriously? That is the point? OK for giggles sake let's say that as
the point. Let's examine it for a moment.

Just hope the
manufacturer is domestic as getting this info from a Japanese or a Ger=

man
company might prove problematical if you don't speak the language and =

I'v=3D
found that the domestic importer/rep often doesn't know any more about=

th=3D
product than what came with the sales literature.

As it happens I have a Koetsu cartridge. I don't speak Japanese. So
let's see how hard it actually is to get that info. A quick internet
search turned this up
http://koetsuusa.com/koetsu_products2.htm
http://store.acousticsounds.com/pdf/...comparison.pdf

And this is Koetsu. Famous for being shrouded in myth and mystery.

It's not that this info isn't available, or that the math involved is =

tha=3D
difficult, it's just that consumers shouldn't have to know any of thes=

things or perform the math in order to make an intelligent buying deci=

sio=3D
n.
This information needs to be made simple, be widely used by the indust=

ry =3D
and
be fool-proof. At the present, it is none of those things.

The math is what it is. Matching arms and cartridges has been
presented in simpler form. Arms and cartridges have been divided by
the press and the manufacturers by high, medium and low mass arms and
high, medium and low compliance cartridges. To ask that it be fool
proof is unreasonable. Fools make it impossible. It IS widely used in
the high end. Honestly can you name one dealer that you know of that
sent ANY customer out the door with a mismatched arm and cartridge?

IME this is a major non-problem in high end audio.

It's elitist attitudes like yours

Oh give it a rest. There is nothing elitist about what I am saying
here.

- that there is no problem for true
audiophiles and to hell with everybody else

Everyone else being whom? This is rec audio "high end." Are you
worried that the DJs have issues with arm/cartridge resonances? This
IS an audiophile forum. Who is it you are so worried about if not
audiophiles?

(If they aren't willing to take
the time, do the research, and learn the math, then they aren't worthy to
have a decent arm and cartridge to play their records) that push newcomer=

away from the audio hobby, in my opinion. Manufacturers should be strivin=

g to
make this as easy as possible.

Or if they have a dealer who actually understands the basics of vinyl
playback. They are easy to find. There is nothing elitist about that
fact. You are inventing a problem here. There is no crisis in the
world of audio over the lack of understanding or relevant information
about arm/cartridge resonances.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

On Oct 3, 7:07=A0am, Scott wrote:

Or if they have a dealer who actually understands the basics of vinyl
playback. They are easy to find.

Seriously? Trust in the knowledge of the same dealers who think cable
at $100/ft. makes a difference? The last dealer I talked to about
turntables tried to sell me a green pen for my CDs.

If consumers are dependent on those clowns, they haven't a chance.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 16:11:19 -0700, bob wrote
(in article ):

On Oct 3, 7:07=A0am, Scott wrote:

Or if they have a dealer who actually understands the basics of vinyl
playback. They are easy to find.

Seriously? Trust in the knowledge of the same dealers who think cable
at $100/ft. makes a difference? The last dealer I talked to about
turntables tried to sell me a green pen for my CDs.

If consumers are dependent on those clowns, they haven't a chance.

bob

You certainly have a point there. While there are retailers who know vinyl
and are qualified to recommend arm/cartridge combinations (and can even
properly install them), my take is that they are few and far between. 'Jerry
Raksin's Needle Doctor' has the reputation of doing a good job at this and
will professionally install a cartridge in a turntable package as can 'The
Audio Advisor', 'Music Direct', and 'The Elusive Disc', et al (at least with
the packages they sell), but these people are mail-order. From talking to the
folks at most local shops, I'm not sure I'd trust most of them to properly
install a cartridge (or even suggest proper matchings), as I've seen no
evidence that they posses any special competence with record playing
equipment, if they sell it at all. In the SF Bay Area, where I live, there is
a dealer called the "Analog Room' who know their stuff, but they are about
the only dealer I know that exhibits any real vinyl expertise.

I think the average vinyl owner would do a lot better to either buy a compete
manufacturer's ensemble, with cartridge preinstalled, or to learn the basics
and select and install the cartridge one's self.

Of course, it would be nice if the manufacturers could make this selection
process easier with some kind of standardized matching nomenclature. 8^)

As usual, I have no connection with any of these aforementioned dealers, etc.
Fieveeldeta Fieveeldeta is offline
Banned

Location: USA
Send a message via ICQ to Fieveeldeta

Hello guys. Im new at www.audiobanter.com, and just wanted to introduce myself and say hello to everyone at www.audiobanter.com. Can't wait to chat with everyone.I just opnened my own website at http://www.carpet-cleaning-lasvegas.com and might require some assistance , I hope you don't mind some questions I might have. Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article , bob
wrote:

On Oct 3, 7:07*am, Scott wrote:

Or if they have a dealer who actually understands the basics of vinyl
playback. They are easy to find.

Seriously? Trust in the knowledge of the same dealers who think cable
at $100/ft. makes a difference? The last dealer I talked to about
turntables tried to sell me a green pen for my CDs.

Salespeople sell things. It's the same mentality that tells you that
using their toothpaste will get you a prettier mate, or buying their car
will make you feel like your penis is larger. I don't like it, but
that's reality.

--
www.jennifermartinmusic.com