Posted to rec.audio.pro
hank alrich hank alrich is offline

Default what to expect from "mastering"?

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Speaking of mastering, get a load'a this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA81JjI40V0

Now HOW the HECK did that even pass the mastering muster? That
panning the guitar back n' forth is making me dizzy, not to mention
the level of the guitar is so uneven due to the panning.

I mean, this is Paul Simon here. Isn't he worthy of more professional
mastering than this?

You're muddling mixing and mastering. Panning's a likely mix event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpqXcV9DYAc
http://www.sonicbids.com/HankandShai...withDougHarman
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"John Williamson" wrote in message
I had an Akai X-IV portable until my last house move that would play back
the crossfield bias signal.

Still have an X-V somewhere :-)
(I doub't it still works since it hasn't been turned on for a couple of
decades however.)

Would that count?

Nope, it would't record and play back an *audio bandwidth* of 100kHz as
claimed.

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The crossfield machines were spec'd at recording to 13kHz at 1.875ips.
That
means they had the potential to reach 100kHz at 7.5ips.

"Potential" does not mean it did, any more than the 13kHz at 1-3/4ips claim
was actually achieved in practice, or at what level. My X-V does have
15/16ips speed as well though, and I think it probably managed 5khz at that
speed. I still wouldn't extrapolate that to 40khz at 7-1/2ips however,
since by actual measurement it was close to noise by then!

Trevor.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 11/05/2011 8.52, Trevor ha scritto:
Hah, mastering pop music these days usually means reducing the dynamic range
to less than 10dB with ultra compression, and then pushing the whole mix so
far onto clipping that everything is totally flat topped. Just rip any
Brittney Spears, Lady Ga Ga, Katy Perry etc. CD to the wave editor of your
choice for a good example.

that's bad mastering...
Posted to rec.audio.pro
alex alex is offline

Il 10/05/2011 0.50, ChrisCoaster ha scritto:
Sometimes I wish those constraints were still around - having to mix
everything below 60Hz(50?) to mono for a LP master

monoing the low end helps in cd too. home theatre and some hifi system
usually have a single subwoofer. side components in that range will lead
to a degree of phase cancellation. Bass frequency usually have a big
amplitude, and a phase cancellation will lead to a lower overall volume.

alex

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Trevor wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
I had an Akai X-IV portable until my last house move that would play back
the crossfield bias signal.

Still have an X-V somewhere :-)
(I doub't it still works since it hasn't been turned on for a couple of
decades however.)

No problem, I have parts for all the Roberts/Akai machines since I bought
out the North American distributor's inventory when they closed. Please
take them. Please.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Trevor wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
I had an Akai X-IV portable until my last house move that would
play back the crossfield bias signal.

Still have an X-V somewhere :-)
(I doub't it still works since it hasn't been turned on for a couple
of decades however.)

No problem, I have parts for all the Roberts/Akai machines since I
bought out the North American distributor's inventory when they
closed. Please take them. Please.

Rubber roller opposing capstan X1800SD?

--scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Peter Larsen wrote:
Scott Dorsey wrote:
Trevor wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
I had an Akai X-IV portable until my last house move that would
play back the crossfield bias signal.

Still have an X-V somewhere :-)
(I doub't it still works since it hasn't been turned on for a couple
of decades however.)

No problem, I have parts for all the Roberts/Akai machines since I
bought out the North American distributor's inventory when they
closed. Please take them. Please.

Rubber roller opposing capstan X1800SD?

Yes, however the ones I have are probably sticky. Take the original
one and have it recapped. The Ampex Mailing List parts directory
on the web should have a half-dozen companies in the US that do rubber
recapping. Or ask your local offset printshop who rebuilds their rollers
and platens, they should have no problem doing it.

I think the last pinch roller I had done was a Nagra IV and they charged
$20 or so.
--Scott

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Scott Dorsey wrote:

Rubber roller opposing capstan X1800SD?

Yes, however the ones I have are probably sticky.

Diameter? - Shore? - not that it is likely all that critical, but it has
been visibly depressed at least 1 mm except for the edge and then the
original dimension is a guess.

Take the original
one and have it recapped. The Ampex Mailing List parts directory
on the web should have a half-dozen companies in the US that do rubber
recapping. Or ask your local offset printshop who rebuilds their
rollers and platens, they should have no problem doing it.

Of course, silly me, thanks.

I think the last pinch roller I had done was a Nagra IV and they
charged $20 or so.

Hmmm .... I bought that machine in 1970, and my now late brother used it not
all that many years ago. And once I got in touch with "serious recordists"
they all told me it was japanese crap that wouldn't last and that the idea
of a sleeve on the capstan was technically silly. So in the end i got a
Revox - that the importer Villadsen's repairshop then promptly destroyed on
rebuilding it to a HS, capstan not at 90 degrees to deck and tapepath,
larger hole for it probably drilled with a handheld drill.

Unfortunately I didn't discover it until the mid 1990's. Its poor 20 kHz
stability when measured after the club rebuild (the swedish magazine
Radio&Televison modifications) should have been a clear warning sign that
there was something to investigate but neither the guy helping with the
electronics mod nor me envisioned the possibility of such a problem. Too
much silicone oil on problem tape did however make it obvious because the
tape recorder kicked it out of the tape-path sideways due to the angular
offset between capstan and rubber roll.

--Scott

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to rec.audio.pro
cporro cporro is offline

i'm not a mastering guy but i have found people misunderstand what
mastering is. i honestly think that because "master" is in the word
they think it's a lot more influencial then it actual is. i had a
woman who thought i could tune a single string on her guitar in
mastering. i explained i couldn't and neither could a guy that
actually does mastering.

when i break down the mastering thing to people i say a few things.
none of them are my own. from a local mastering engineer "if you don't
like the mix you won't like the master". and i think bob katz says
something to the effect of "best case scenario is improving a letter
grade". that's pretty good going from a C to a B. but then i've also
heard cases where the mix was done so well that there weren't many
changes in mastering.

the other thing i tell people is mastering is a very specialized
thing. if you think throwing a compressor on the master buss and using
a 10 band eq is mastering... well, then i'm a mastering engineer which
i'm not at all. you need a special set of ears, very good monitoring,
and some high quality gear.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Trevor Trevor is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

No problem, I have parts for all the Roberts/Akai machines since I bought
out the North American distributor's inventory when they closed. Please
take them. Please.

:-) :-)

Not much demand these days huh?

Trevor.