Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Richard R Richard R is offline

Default Rega RB 301 or Cabezon OEM 301

Hi folks.

I am considering upgrading my tonearm and getting back into vinyl. I have
a Thorens TD321 which I have had for many years in very good condition
currently fitted with an old ADC tonearm. I have been looking at
replacing that tonearm with a Rega RB301, but I came across a company
called Isokinetic that produce a badged version of the 301 and provide an
upgrade, basically a rewiring with something they call their ISOtone
Cardas kit.

So, I am soliciting opinions on whether this is something worthwhile or
just bull. Also, which moving coil cartridges would all you Rega fans
think is best for this tonearm? Obviously cost is a factor, so I have a
ceiling of about £800 for the cartridge

Many thanks
Rich..
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:22:25 -0700, Richard R wrote
(in article ):

Hi folks.

I am considering upgrading my tonearm and getting back into vinyl. I have
a Thorens TD321 which I have had for many years in very good condition
currently fitted with an old ADC tonearm. I have been looking at
replacing that tonearm with a Rega RB301, but I came across a company
called Isokinetic that produce a badged version of the 301 and provide an
upgrade, basically a rewiring with something they call their ISOtone
Cardas kit.

So, I am soliciting opinions on whether this is something worthwhile or
just bull. Also, which moving coil cartridges would all you Rega fans
think is best for this tonearm? Obviously cost is a factor, so I have a
ceiling of about £800 for the cartridge

Many thanks
Rich..

Rewiring the tone arm is just bull. The Rega RB301 comes with more than
adequate wiring. You might want take a look at offerings from JELCO (Japan
Jewel Company) as well:

http://finestcable.com/jelco_tonearm

I have the SA-750D that I use with my JA Michell GyroDeck SE 'table. I chose
that one because it takes a standard "SME" headshell and I have to swap
cartridges a lot. But Jelco Arms have been offered as OEMs for such companies
as Linn, IsoKinetic, and others. These arms have also been sold by companies
such as AudioQuest (and others) under their own name. They are very high
quality with superb bearings - even the cheap one.

Batty Batty is offline
Junior Member

Location: Adelaide S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard R View Post
Hi folks.

I am considering upgrading my tonearm and getting back into vinyl. I have
a Thorens TD321 which I have had for many years in very good condition
currently fitted with an old ADC tonearm. I have been looking at
replacing that tonearm with a Rega RB301, but I came across a company
called Isokinetic that produce a badged version of the 301 and provide an
upgrade, basically a rewiring with something they call their ISOtone
Cardas kit.

So, I am soliciting opinions on whether this is something worthwhile or
just bull. Also, which moving coil cartridges would all you Rega fans
think is best for this tonearm? Obviously cost is a factor, so I have a
ceiling of about £800 for the cartridge

Many thanks
Rich..
You could always purchase an AO jazzed up RB251 run a DL 103. Not exe but great sound.