Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Default Creating Simplicity: How Music Fools the Ear

This would seem to be related to issues of format compression and what
"sounds good".

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0120073507.htm

New research published in BioMed Central's open access journal BMC
Research Notes suggests that the brain simplifies complex patterns,
much in the same way that 'lossless' music compression formats reduce
audio files, by removing redundant data and identifying patterns.

There is a long held theory that the subconscious mind can recognise
patterns within complex data and that we are hardwired to find simple
patterns pleasurable. Dr Nicholas Hudson used 'lossless' music
compression programs to mimic the brain's ability to condense audio
information. He compared the amount of compressibility of random noise
to a wide range of music including classical, techno, rock, and pop,
and found that, while random noise could only be compressed to 86% of
its original file size, and techno, rock, and pop to about 60%, the
apparently complex Beethoven's 3rd Symphony compressed to 40%.

Dr Nicholas Hudson says "Enduring musical masterpieces, despite
apparent complexity, possess high compressibility" and that it is this
compressibility that we respond to. So whether you are a die hard
classicist or a pop diva it seems that we chose the music we prefer,
not by simply listening to it, but by calculating its compressibility.
axelstrong axelstrong is offline
Banned

Marty Friedmans solo in Tornado of souls, by Megadeth.