Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Default Imaging, was "DAC sound"

Considering the branching of the thread into subjective evaluation of
imaging, I changed the subject.

I have always found the chesky sampler and test cd, the first as I recall,
to be very helpful. It has one computer created track where a signal
starts in the left speaker, rises vertically to near ceiling level , then
shifts 90 degrees until over the right speaker and then descends into it.

I have found the best results imaging wise are provided with room
adjustment and speaker placement and listening position adjustment using
it. This happens when it simulates
the signal reproduction as near perfect a flight path as it is recorded
to be.

A lopsided right or left leg often means that some source of reflection or
other acoustic source is different on that side relative to the other
side. This might happen for example when one speaker is much closer to a
side wall. The horizontal signal likewise including how high it goes
often says something about vertical sources. Best overall results for me
are with absorbing and randomizing side walls and rear wall. This means
in practical terms filled book cases with a mixture of book and other
objects. I use dippoles so this makes sense.

On minimally miced recordings the image is stable and smooth and not lop
sided and has depth if this is the case. Likewise white and pink noise
are smooth across the plane of the speakers. This makes sense because any
abberations of signals the environment provides are minimal when the test
is at its best.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

wrote in message
[...]

Having once had a similar configuration of speakers and "absorbing and
randomizing side walls and rear wall" via bookcases as my main listening
room, I suspect this IS a very fine-sounding setup.