Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Coconuts Coconuts is offline

Default recording LPs

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about
6 participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to
me, but you all seem to hate one or more of the others.
Unusual group, but you all seem to have some audio
expertise. So here goes...

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best
software for recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the
audio?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Coconuts wrote:

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best software for
recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the audio?

Maybe this NAD - PP-3 - Digital Phono Preamp with USB Interface may do the trick
for you:
http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NAPP3

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"Coconuts" wrote:

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about
6 participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to
me, but you all seem to hate one or more of the others.
Unusual group, but you all seem to have some audio
expertise. So here goes...

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best
software for recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the
audio?

I don't do cleaning, etc, but I use Audacity for transferring. Preamp
line out to sound card, check levels, hit record, bounce to WAV file,
trim the ends as needed.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"Coconuts" wrote:

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about
6 participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to
me, but you all seem to hate one or more of the others.
Unusual group, but you all seem to have some audio
expertise. So here goes...

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best
software for recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the
audio?

I guess there aren't any bites on this one! Word on the street is
Audacity using ClickRepair is the way to go.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Iain Churches[_2_] Iain Churches[_2_] is offline

"Coconuts" wrote in message
This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about 6
participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to me, but you all
seem to hate one or more of the others. Unusual group, but you all seem to
have some audio expertise. So here goes...

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best software for
recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the audio?

You have many options. At home, I use an EMU 1212
card, a tube vinyl stage built in my own workshop, and
Cool Edit Pro (CEP -now called Audition)

I clean the vinyl first with a cleaning machine, and do
wet transfers. This takes care of 80% of the light
artefacts. I make a note of any clicks during the
transcription and remove these manually later.
CEP has Noise reduction/Declick options which
work well.

I usually top and tail individual titles with a suitable
fade in and out as required. I also remove the scroll
between tracks and replace this with 4 secs silence.

With care, you can achieve impressive results.
Good luck

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , says...
This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be about
6 participants. Everyone has been very helpful and nice to
me, but you all seem to hate one or more of the others.

There are probably 6 regulars, and a handful of us that drift in and out
from time to time. This group has always been extremely antagonistic (to
put it mildly).

Do any of you record LPs on your computer? What's the best
software for recording, cleaning, slicing and dicing the
audio?

Audacity and ClickRepair have been mentioned, and that's probably as
complete a package as a person would need.

I go a simpler route and use a program called Spin It Again
(
http://www.acoustica.com/spinitagain/). However, I don't really do any
cleanup of my captures as the odd bit of surface noise doesn't bother
me, even on my digital copies. Actually, the software does offer some
options to remove ticks, pops and so on, but I don't know how good these
are.

One thing to watch out for: if you are using a notebook, be aware that
the microphone in is often a mono connection: you need a stereo line in
for stereo captures. This will be common on any desktop sound cards, but
many laptops will require some kind of USB sound card or capture device.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 22, 2:03*pm, hophead wrote:
In article ,
says...

I am no longer a regular reader or poster, here but I get
the impresssion that the group is actually *less* antagonistic
than it used to be.

That's mostly because the "Krazy Kroo" ceased from posting here some
time ago. If he should come back in any capacity things would likely get
venomous in a hurry. But maybe not: most folks decided he was too insane
to bother responding to.

He pops his head in from time to time, only to get smacked down in a
hurry. Howard does the same. If Bret Ludwig and Scott could refrain
from spamming the group with OT posts, there's a real chance this
could become a functional NG once again.

There are already signs of this happening.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Boon" wrote in message
On Jan 22, 2:03 pm, hophead wrote:
In article ,
says...

I am no longer a regular reader or poster, here but I get
the impresssion that the group is actually *less* antagonistic
than it used to be.

That's mostly because the "Krazy Kroo" ceased from posting here some
time ago. If he should come back in any capacity things would likely get
venomous in a hurry. But maybe not: most folks decided he was too insane
to bother responding to.

He pops his head in from time to time, only to get smacked down in a
hurry. Howard does the same. If Bret Ludwig and Scott could refrain
from spamming the group with OT posts, there's a real chance this
could become a functional NG once again.

There are already signs of this happening.

Boon. I think if it did, the group would make a swift
recovery. There are some well informed people here.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Apparently the cog-no-scenti call this a "needledrop".

I never do this myself, preferring good digital sound in most cases
and just playing the record in those others. But the hardware needed
is a good preamp, a good sound card and some careful level matching
plus a software package, Audacity as good as any.

I don't actively collect vinyl but will scarf up certain things,
particularly industrial training, vocational and church organ demo
records.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Bret L" wrote in message

I don't actively collect vinyl but will scarf up certain things,
particularly industrial training, vocational and church organ demo
records.

Despite the fact that CD has been with us for nearly thirty
years, there is still a vast amount of material not available
in that fomat, so being able to do good vinyl transfers
is essential for people, students in particular, interested
in music which is less that mainstream. I am thinking in
particular of baroque music and early jazz.

Iain

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Iain Churches" wrote in message

"Bret L" wrote in message

I don't actively collect vinyl but will scarf up certain
things,
particularly industrial training, vocational and church
organ demo
records.

Despite the fact that CD has been with us for nearly
thirty
years, there is still a vast amount of material not
available
in that fomat, so being able to do good vinyl transfers
is essential for people, students in particular,
interested
in music which is less that mainstream. I am thinking in
particular of baroque music and early jazz.

I think a lot of people in their 50s have extensive record
collections - possibly boxes or crates in their basements.
I'm one of them. Many of my records I have replaced with the
CD version, but many I don't feel the need. Some have only
one to two cuts I'm interested in. In some cases, the early
CD version was not remastered and doesn't sound very good.
Now there's ANOTHER, newer, remastered CD version you can
buy, or you can enjoy the original LP version which was
correctly mastered for the media. This is especially
relevant if you're creating a CD for the road or MP3s for
your player that you're going to use while you're running,
cycling or treadmilling. For critical listening......I don't
know. I don't do much of that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 22, 2:55*pm, "Iain Churches" wrote:
"Boon" wrote in message

[...]

Discourage the OT spammers like Bret and ScottW, and killfile the
trolls. It's starting to work, IMO.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 23, 1:30*am, Bret L wrote:
*Apparently the cog-no-scenti call this a "needledrop".

*I never do this myself, preferring good digital sound in most cases
and just playing the record in those others. But the hardware needed
is a good preamp, a good sound card and some careful level matching
plus a software package, Audacity as good as any.

*I don't actively collect vinyl but will scarf up certain things,
particularly industrial training, vocational and church organ demo
records.

Agreed. I get people asking me about needledrops all the time, but I
enjoy listening to vinyl on a turntable. I've had some nifty equipment
to do it over the last couple of years (I just sold a Korg MR-1000 on
eBay, which was really fun but overkill), but I just didn't see the
point.

Besides, it's not like tranferring digital, where bits are bits. The
needledrop will only be as good as your analog rig, and if you don't
have a decent one your needledrops will sound worse than a CD. It
kills me that people buy those plastic Ion TTs and think they're all
set.

I know I've said it before, but all of the LPs in my collection play.
Not all of my CDs do. A single scratch or smudge and a CD won't play
at all. And then there's CD rot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Coconuts Coconuts is offline

"Iain Churches" wrote in message

You have many options. At home, I use an EMU 1212
card, a tube vinyl stage built in my own workshop, and
Cool Edit Pro (CEP -now called Audition)

Cool Edit Pro.... I think that's the one I used many years
ago. I believe it was free or very inexpensive back in the
day. It's far from cheap now. I don't think you can use the
Upgrade Version ($100) to upgrade from CEP. dammit.... I'll
guess we'll give Audacity a try.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Coconuts" wrote in message

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be
about 6 participants.

Down from about 600 in the days before the Middiot and Boon.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 29, 3:33*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Coconuts" wrote in message

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be
about 6 participants.

Down from about 600 in the days before the Middiot and Boon.

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical creature named
"the Middiot"? Why not?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical creature named
"the Middiot"? Why not?

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 29, 5:22*pm, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical creature named
"the Middiot"? Why not?

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?

There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING about a
certain activity and telling them one of the MAIN THINGS about a
certain activity.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 29, 8:51*pm, Boon wrote:
On Jan 29, 5:22*pm, Lionel wrote:

Boon a écrit :

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical creature named
"the Middiot"? Why not?

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?

There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING

I meant someone, not something. Don't want Lionel's translation module
to short circuit.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"Coconuts" wrote in message

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be
about 6 participants.

Down from about 600 in the days before the Middiot and Boon.

Invite the 600 back then, GOIA. Those 600 can surely drown out that
1%.

I mean for Christ's sake you drown everybody out with your posts. You
used to post well over 1000 times per month on Usenet, many if not
most of them right here.

You were a one-man wrecking crew. You sure wrecked RAO.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?

There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING about a
certain activity

Did you exchange your wife against a latex doll ? :-D
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :
On Jan 29, 8:51 pm, Boon wrote:
On Jan 29, 5:22 pm, Lionel wrote:

Boon a écrit :
Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical creature named
"the Middiot"? Why not?
Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?

There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING

I meant someone, not something. Don't want Lionel's translation module
to short circuit.

Ooops ! Too late. :-D
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

I meant someone, not something.

May I understand that you haven't swap your wife with a latex doll ?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 2:23*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?

There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING about a
certain activity

Did you exchange your wife against a latex doll ? :-D

No. Why would you ask such a dumb question?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 6:28*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a crit :

I meant someone, not something.

May I understand that you haven't swap your wife with a latex doll ?

You already asked that question. Maybe it's funnier in French. In
English, it's pretty weak.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :
On Jan 30, 2:23 am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?
There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING about a
certain activity

Did you exchange your wife against a latex doll ? :-D

No. Why would you ask such a dumb question?

Usually "something" cannot be use for a human being.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

English, it's pretty weak.

You are totally humourless.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 11:15*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

On Jan 30, 2:23 am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

Did you ever told your wife about EVERYTHING you have written on RAO ?
Why not ?
There's a big difference between telling something EVERYTHING about a
certain activity
Did you exchange your wife against a latex doll ? :-D

No. Why would you ask such a dumb question?

Usually "something" cannot be use for a human being.

Oh, now I get it. Still not funny.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 11:24*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

English, it's pretty weak.

You are totally humourless.

No, I'm not. You're just not funny.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

Oh, now I get it.

Slow and dense...
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Lionel[_8_] Lionel[_8_] is offline

Boon a écrit :

No, I'm not. You're just not funny.

You are too dense to be so affirmative.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 11:36*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

Oh, now I get it.

Slow and dense...

No. It's your horrendous English, period.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 30, 11:38*am, Lionel wrote:
Boon a écrit :

No, I'm not. You're just not funny.

You are too dense to be so affirmative.

Dense, dense, dense. Everyone who doesn't put up with your nonsense
must be dense. Oh, the humanity!

What a drama queen.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Boon" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 3:33 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Coconuts" wrote in message

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be
about 6 participants.

Down from about 600 in the days before the Middiot and
Boon.

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical
creature named "the Middiot"?

Not worthy of any one's attention.

BTW, since you have to change the subject and can't admit the truth of what
you did to RAO Marc, we can easily see how the truth hurts.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Feb 2, 8:25*am, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Boon" wrote in message

On Jan 29, 3:33 pm, "Arny Krueger"
wrote:
"Coconuts" wrote in message

This newsgroup is very interesting. There seems to be
about 6 participants.

Down from about 600 in the days before the Middiot and
Boon.

Have you told your wife and pastor about this mythical
creature named "the Middiot"?

Not worthy of any one's attention.

BTW, since you have to change the subject and can't admit the truth of what
you did to RAO Marc, we can easily see how the truth hurts.

Sent to Susie and Pastor Matt.