Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default OT RIP Art Clokey

In deference to the RAO tear 'em down contingent, I've skipped a couple
of important obits (Tim Hart, Willie Mitchell and if you don't know
either or both I don't care what you think) but this one is too
important to omit:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...ry/982411.html
Friday, Jan. 08, 2010
'Gumby' creator and Los Osos resident Art Clokey dies
By Patrick S. Pemberton |

Art Clokey, whose iconic Gumby entertained generations of children,
died Friday morning.

Gumby * the slender, green clay character partly modeled after
Clokeyıs father * was a fixture on television through the decades,
starting with an appearance on the ³Howdy Doody² show in 1956. Through
the years, the stop motion star made several comebacks, including a
new show in the 80s, after a ³Saturday Night Live² skit with actor
Eddie Murphy made the character popular again. Throughout Gumbyıs long
run, Gumby toys * most notably, the bendable * have been a staple of
toy stores everywhere.

Clokey, who lived in Los Osos, was 89.

Despite Gumbyıs positive demeanor, his origins stem from tragedy. When
Clokey was 9, his father was killed in a car crash. He lived with his
mother for a while, but when her second husband made her choose
between him and her son, Clokey was sent to an orphanage. Fortunately,
he was adopted by a good family. But Clokey wouldnıt forget his
father, whose head shape * characterized by a cowlick hairdo * would
later provide the inspiration for Gumbyıs trademark lopsided head.

--

More at the link. Or just enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMh6O7HuI08

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

[...]

Oh my gosh, he lived about 5 miles from me and I didn't even know! RIP
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Boon[_2_] Boon[_2_] is offline

On Jan 8, 8:07*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In deference to the RAO tear 'em down contingent, I've skipped a couple
of important obits (Tim Hart, Willie Mitchell and if you don't know
either or both I don't care what you think) but this one is too
important to omit:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/lo...ry/982411.html
Friday, Jan. 08, 2010
'Gumby' creator and Los Osos resident Art Clokey dies
By Patrick S. Pemberton |

Art Clokey, whose iconic Gumby entertained generations of children,
died Friday morning.

Gumby the slender, green clay character partly modeled after
Clokey s father was a fixture on television through the decades,
starting with an appearance on the Howdy Doody show in 1956. Through
the years, the stop motion star made several comebacks, including a
new show in the 80s, after a Saturday Night Live skit with actor
Eddie Murphy made the character popular again. Throughout Gumby s long
run, Gumby toys most notably, the bendable have been a staple of
toy stores everywhere.

Clokey, who lived in Los Osos, was 89.

Despite Gumby s positive demeanor, his origins stem from tragedy. When
Clokey was 9, his father was killed in a car crash. He lived with his
mother for a while, but when her second husband made her choose
between him and her son, Clokey was sent to an orphanage. Fortunately,
he was adopted by a good family. But Clokey wouldn t forget his
father, whose head shape characterized by a cowlick hairdo would
later provide the inspiration for Gumby s trademark lopsided head.

--

More at the link. Or just enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMh6O7HuI08

Stephen

I still think the episode on the moon was one of the creepiest things
I ever watched as a kid. Strange electronic music effects, too.

That said, I knew about Clokey and his horrible childhood, and that he
lived in Central California because I know a guy who knew him and
worked with him professionally. Supposedly he was a very interesting
guy. RIP.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jan 8, 8:07*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In deference to the RAO tear 'em down contingent, I've skipped a couple
of important obits (Tim Hart, Willie Mitchell and if you don't know
either or both I don't care what you think) but this one is too
important to omit:

Why we'd have any beef with either one is a mystery. You must be
paranoid.

Now if it was, say.....